Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GHOST car security!

Hi guys,

This is one for the security conscious out there. One of my friends has had his Golf R stolen the night he brought it home from the dealership about 4 weeks ago. Not surprising as it was in the relatively rare Red with carbon leather seats and akrapovic exhaust.

Regardless, he's got himself another one in the same spec but in Blue and had a Ghost system installed for £500 or so.

I've tried it out and it's pretty cool tbh. It's basically a Canbus immobiliser which is fitted to the car. The car will not turn on even with the key but instead, the steering wheel buttons are used to enter a sequence ie a code to start the vehicle. It can be made up to 20 digits long and has an emergency start up code if you forget the normal one. 

https://www.ghostimmobiliser.co.uk

I'm not associated with this company at all.

Been touted on the Merc forums for some time

https://autowatch.co.uk/products/security-solutions/autowatch-immobiliser-systems/68-ghost-product

Certainly a step up in security but if they really want your car, they'll simply break in and threaten your family.

For me, I'd rather some sort of remote or time delayed fuel shut off. Let the thieves get far enough away, then disable the car.

• Like 1

""For me, I'd rather some sort of remote or time delayed fuel shut off.""

Fuel Shut Off.....Naaaa Nice lump of Semtex ( other High Explosives are available) under the drivers seat would be my choice as I would'nt really want the car back after some toothless single syllable chemical head had ragged it!!!

paul m.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Been touted on the Merc forums for some time

https://autowatch.co.uk/products/security-solutions/autowatch-immobiliser-systems/68-ghost-product

Certainly a step up in security but if they really want your car, they'll simply break in and threaten your family.

For me, I'd rather some sort of remote or time delayed fuel shut off. Let the thieves get far enough away, then disable the car.

Depends on where it's parked I suppose. 

I doubt they'd try to break in and threaten though. The majority of these folk are cowards and want to be in/out as quick as possible. Any signs of disturbance and they leg it.

• Haha 1

Tell that to my friend, had his AMG stolen recently. Thieves smashed his front door open and threatened him and his wife at knife point. 

At least he could just toss them the keys. Had he fitted a Ghost he would have had to go with them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Tell that to my friend, had his AMG stolen recently. Thieves smashed his front door open and threatened him and his wife at knife point. 

At least he could just toss them the keys. Had he fitted a Ghost he would have had to go with them.

Moral of the story -

No point having car security if home security isn't up to par. 

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

Something like this be ok?3829f8e060af2fffa77dc94084d978b6.jpg

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Yes probably. 

On hone visits ive seeb plenty of people who have very nice cars and old wooden doors which can be kicked down, no internal locks and rubbish windows and cheap locks. Some don't even have an alarm. 

Ive seen one case in person where police were trying to knock down a door. It was composite and they couldn't break it down at all. It just kept bending and absorbing all the shocks. 

Some physical security may have put them off. Ideas:

1. Stop Lock Pro

2. A bollard in the drive

3. A Battery motion alarm left in the car (will sound a loud siren when they aren't expecting it and make them panic maybe)

4. Turn the key off when it's inside the house

Ok they will smash the door in - what can you realistically do against someone prepared to do that for a car? Do we give in to criminals and not buy a nice car or turn our house into a prison? What if you're house if on fire or you're having a heart attack and someone needs to break their way in?

These are the choices you have have to make I suppose.  I don't think it's as easy as it first seems - you have to just try and make it difficult up to a point - more difficult than the car down the road perhaps?

Here is a similar theft in action. They don't look prepared to deal with physical barriers.

https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/news/4544/watch-police-release-footage-relay-crime

• 1 year later...

Lots of things deter burglars some quiet simple such as gravel drives as its noisy to walk on, good exterior lighting, There's a security light called nighwatcher it moves with movement been effective when I've seen it in use. Often if they see something unusual they don't know about it will make them go elsewhere unless your car is been stolen to order. Theft is about reward versus risk, make the risk of hassle  higher the risk to reward level is much less appealing. Some times the most simple deterents can be the most effective such as a steering lock as involves tools and noise increased risk less certain reward. They might have a laptop and an RF booster to get into your keyless car but will they have a big hammer and chisel and want to create lots of noise, possibly not. We're away with work a lot so we have a 16 point locking steel door so not so easy to get in from but even this has a weak spot. Again risk and reward on if they want to try to kick it in. The house invaders are a bigger issue if they get in, as prepared to take the biggest risk by committing agrivated burglary in a domestic dwelling. But doubt if they give a **** from experience.