Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Costco will not fit tyres to my LS 400

I got a quote from Costco for tyres for my 17"  DHP wheels, for 235/55/17 tyres to replace my 245/50/17 Pirellis. My 99 car does not appear on their database. For LS 400s in general , only 15 or 16 inch wheels are shown. Because I have 245s on at the moment they refuse to do the job, as they will only change like for like, because fitting anything different would be a modification. I explained that the next LS 400 owner they get might have 235/ 17 inch wheels, or even 225 17s. As they have no idea what was fitted originally, I would have thought the decision should be mine, with some sort of disclaimer if they think it necessary. 

Bizarrely, he was of the opinion that V rated tyres would fine, although I told him that top speed was limited to 155 mph, so I probably should have W rated as a minimum. I understand their position, if something went wrong etc etc............ However,  on the speed rating, he is applying common sense, and acknowledging the fact that I am never likely to exceed 149 mph, whereas on the size issue, he is sticking rigidly on their policy of no modifications, whilst having no idea what should be standard. Such is modern life, too complicated, with little evidence of common sense.

Computer says, Nooo!

Have read numerous posts on Costco fitting policy and they just will not 'modify' the fitting. One poster recounted how he already had non-standard tyres fitted but Costco computer says differently. so no sale!

The speed rating thing is somewhat different though as one can happily fit H rated winter tyres on a 150mph super saloon, no problems (generally speaking, not referring to Costco)

3 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

Well, ask Tony Bones' opinion?

(Wheels in motion. He may know someone in your area who'll do it.)

I would think just about any other tyre shop would fit whatever tyre you want. It's just Costco that seems very risk averse 

American companies such as Costco take no risks at all when supplying consumer goods very sue adverse.

I have just bought two Bridgestone tyres that are very difficult to get in the UK they are on there way from Madrid and at this very moment are in Dortmund ,will be here next Monday on a delivery charge of £6 amazing 

My local garage will fit them for £15 each.

From my experience any of the independent tyre fitters will do whatever you ask for.

The likes of Kwik Fit and ATS I have found it varies, but generally they will not force a fit to original spec, and will replace like for like (even out of spec).

Never used CostCo but my experience of working in USA and working for USA companies in Europe is the threat of being sued is a strong force to make sure employees follow the rules the letter and woe-betide anyone who 'thinks'.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steve2006 said:

So what would they have done if the tyres were already off and you simply took the rims in to have the new tyres fitted?

They would have said that the rims were out of spec as they had no car attached:yes:

17 hours ago, steve2006 said:

So what would they have done if the tyres were already off and you simply took the rims in to have the new tyres fitted?

No doubt they have a chart on the wall like most places do and they only fit what the chart says should be fitted.

Costco in Aberdeen refused to fit winter tyres to the front of my daughter's front wheel drive car (replacing winter tyres) as they said there should be 4 fitted and would only fit them on the rear. I couldn't see their logic. So she now has summer tyres on front and winters on the rear. I realise that it's best to fit 4, but the summers weren't near replacement time, but will be replaced in due course by winters.

Pete

Normally i'd agree, but winter tyres on the front driving wheels make a huge different in the snow compared to summer tyres. I know 4 should be fitted as best practise, but my son in law with front winters on a Renault Clio got places some 4 x 4's were getting stuck.

Pete