Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tell me about your Roof Box

Farqui

We're off to Belgium again in a few months but will be travelling 4 up this time and will need more luggage space.

Previously it's usually just the mrs and I that go 'on tour' and we simply use the back seat as overflow of stuff that won't fit in the boot.

I already have roof bars which are 920mm wide, 700mm center to center, with a 60 x 30mm semi aero bar profile.

I'm tempted by either of these from Hapro; 

Traxer 6.6, left/right opener, 5yr guarantee, longer/narrow/lower profile - https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?HP25908

Hapro-Traxer-6.6-anthracite-01G.jpg

Roady 4000, left opener, 3yr guarantee, shorter/wider - https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?HP31560

Hapro-Roady-4000-LHS-opening-roof-box-HP

Both have quick fittings which appeals as I aim to use a bike carrier on the bars more often, so will swap carrier/box back and forth.  I did wonder about a really long and narrow box so I could fit both on the rack at once, but I'm not sure I'll use them both together.  I'm currently thinking of getting a fairly wide box for a good capacity boost as the boot is a mere 280 liters.

To simplify loading/unloading with a luggage set - I know Rob was planning on getting some and I thought there were a practical option back then;

Hapro-roof-box-bag-set-HP29975-01G.jpg

Box storage isn't a problem as I've space in the garage to hang from the rafters and maybe even use it for storing bits/bobs.

The lighter boxes appear to be cheaper and less robust, so I'm looking for something that's a good all rounder and not too pricey.

Do you have any thoughts or experience of boxes, fitting systems, storage, usage, etc? 

Or maybe I should just get the 'luggage' and hire a box when we need it?

No feedback? :huh:

Since asking around several folks have offered to loan me their boxes, after which we'll then have a better understanding if we should buy our own.

Looking at vehicle and box heights, I doubt we'll be under the 1.85m height limit for standard carriages on the Eurotunnel.  Has anyone found the high carriages any worse, less frequent than std carriages?  From what I can find a train has a mix of carriages but I've only ever seen/used the std carriages.  Do Eurotunnel load high vehicles before or after std height vehicles?

I've only got experience of Volvo boxes which are rebadged Thule ones. One of these in fact. All I know is that it's strong, secure and an absolute godsend on family holidays. Would you believe we picked up the box and a pair of Thule Wing Bars off eBay for 50 quid? :biggrin: The guy had hardly used them and was just having a clearout.

On 09/01/2018 at 7:56 PM, rich1068 said:
I've only got experience of Volvo boxes which are rebadged Thule ones. One of these in fact. All I know is that it's strong, secure and an absolute godsend on family holidays. Would you believe we picked up the box and a pair of Thule Wing Bars off eBay for 50 quid? [emoji3] The guy had hardly used them and was just having a clearout.

Wow what a find, you did snag yourself a bargain.

• 3 months later...

The roof box was going to take us over the height limit for the car/dual level carriages and after using the roof rack I wasn't happy with loading/unloading up there.

So I pushed on and fitted a tow bar to the GS and have myself a beefy rack from www.bak-rak.com, their website isn't great but their product is.  It's 100kg capacity means we can now add a couple of bike racks and get the wifes heavier e-bike on there too, which you wouldn't dare do on a roof rack.

Glad you're sorted. And I agree, that website is awful. A close run thing with Lings Cars I reckon :biggrin:

We've just ordered a new S-Max to replace the XC90 but will unfortunately need new roof bars because the Ford doesn't come with rails.

• Like 1