Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All

Relatively new to the forum so maybe doing this incorrectly, have just been informed by my mechanic that the DPF filter needs replaced, any suggestions as to what i should do here ? he is quoting me £800-900 all in, is it worth getting this cleaned ? is there a cheaper alternative ?

Any help at all here guys would be helpful thank you.

Welcome :)

You can try DPF regeneration. I am not an expert, but you have few options like driving in motorway on 4th/5th gear to keep rev. high (~3000rpm) for prolonged period like 50miles. I believe it is possible to do regeneration on stationary car as there is software which can cycle car trough regeneration process. Finally, there are DPF cleaning additives which can be used with both of above options to improve results. I am sure IS220d owners will be able to give you more details instruction.

Replacing DPF is kind of ultimate option if all above fails... but wherever you do -  do not remove DPF (DPF-delete) - it is illegal, punishable and rightly so. Cars with DPF are designed to run only with DPF (that is basically all modern diesels) and after removal terribly pollutes environment.

Good luck

Hi 

Thanks fr the information, firstly i would never consider removing the DPF as its on there for a reason which you have mentioned, i have done the motor stuff and additives which have cleared it only to come back, i was told regeneration is hit or miss so not sure what to do, really appreciate your input thank you.

• Like 1

Hello,

Firstly, how does the mechanic know it needs replacing?  The reason I ask is that the car does have the option to perform a forced regen that might help with the problem.  You need a copy of Toyota's Techstream software in order to be able to do it.

Basically, the software will tell you how close to the blocked threshold it is.  Depending on what it says, it might be possible to clean it with a regen, but if it is too blocked then a replacement is the only option.

The software itself if fairly cheap from eBay, so it might be worth investing in before shelling out for a new DPF.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Hello,

Firstly, how does the mechanic know it needs replacing?  The reason I ask is that the car does have the option to perform a forced regen that might help with the problem.  You need a copy of Toyota's Techstream software in order to be able to do it.

Basically, the software will tell you how close to the blocked threshold it is.  Depending on what it says, it might be possible to clean it with a regen, but if it is too blocked then a replacement is the only option.

The software itself if fairly cheap from Ebay, so it might be worth investing in before shelling out for a new DPF.

Exactly as above how does he know! there can be many issues that can be blamed on the dpf its an easy out for the mis informed could be something simple like a blocked egr (they all block at some point) easy to clean without the mech sucking air thro his teeth at least the lexus techs had the forsight to put it where it is!! How do you drive it,,fuel,oil etc all play a part..check out this site it will tell you how it all works and fails..In my opinion get a second opinion!

http://www.oilem.com/category/dpf-cleaning-and-maintenance/

By the way what are the issues your having??

What r symptoms u getting eg limp mode.lights lit up. Could try wynes dpf cleaner it's quite good if it's not badly block should clear it. My is220d cost me 500 to get it cleaned from car surgeon in Birmingham but got is250. Try cheaper option first 

Like sharpor said how does he know it's dpf did he give u code that says it's dpf could b egr blocked. Try cleaning egr urself it's quite easy good video on utube when had my is220d used video to clean my egr. It will only take about 1-2 hrs of ur time 

Hi tex, no it's all good. Had one bout of it but managed to clear fault code and force regeneration by flying up the motorway. Been fine since but just keeping my eyes peeled incase it happens again. Was wondering if anyone has tried that terraclean, heard a couple good reports.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

ok mate, do you clean EGR now and again?

I Don't know anyone who has ever used TerraClean personally so I would do more  homework on that one.

paul m.