Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

That reg# is for the same vehicle in the MOT history checker - OSF shock was leaking in Oct'17. 

Annual mileage year on year varies quite a bit, suggesting change of ownership?

Have you actually seen the car?

4 minutes ago, Farqui said:

That reg# is for the same vehicle in the MOT history checker - OSF shock was leaking in Oct'17. 

Annual mileage year on year varies quite a bit, suggesting change of ownership?

Have you actually seen the car?

No, but I've bought it anyway :yahoo:

I'm in Glasgow and won't see it until I drive down to collect it. I'm just curious if anyone on here knew about it. I would normally avoid a 100k 8.5 year old car with 5 owners but full Lexus service history and Lexus warranty makes me feel better about it. Seems not a bad car for £8k. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Grant / @grantwils, well done and let us know what it's like when you collect.

Do you have a link to the ad?

It's been removed but Cached one is here: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aszXS8_ZmjEJ:https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-450h/35-kmbljgn+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk 

• Like 1

FWIW, although I didn't buy my GS450h from them, Lexus Stoke have looked after it for the last 2+ years. This is for servicing through their service plan scheme including MOTs; Lexus warranty work; non warranty work such as the dreaded rear exhaust section; buying parts such as brake discs and pads etc, and I have to say I cannot fault them. Not even once, not in any respect about anything whatsoever.

And believe me, I am as fussy as it gets, I'm a lifelong petrolhead and I've had many car brands of all types in my lifetime; and I am happy to confirm to you that in my total experience with them that Lexus Stoke customer service, care and attitude beats every other brand I've had by a very long mile.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new car, and I'm certain that you will.

As I say, FWIW!

Best wishes, Brian.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XT5 said:

FWIW, although I didn't buy my GS450h from them, Lexus Stoke have looked after it for the last 2+ years. This is for servicing through their service plan scheme including MOTs; Lexus warranty work; non warranty work such as the dreaded rear exhaust section; buying parts such as brake discs and pads etc, and I have to say I cannot fault them. Not even once, not in any respect about anything whatsoever.

And believe me, I am as fussy as it gets, I'm a lifelong petrolhead and I've had many car brands of all types in my lifetime; and I am happy to confirm to you that in my total experience with them that Lexus Stoke customer service, care and attitude beats every other brand I've had by a very long mile.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new car, and I'm certain that you will.

As I say, FWIW!

Best wishes, Brian.

Praise indeed Brian. Nice to read such complimentary remarks.

Just a point which occurs to me.....I`ve not had to purchase pads or Disks in four and a half years and I put this down to a tip I picked up from Tony Richa (Member) not long after I joined the forum. He once stated  (if I remember correctly) that he had not changed his disks in 200.000 miles as he always used his gearbox to slow down . I use that advice as often as I can and whenever road and traffic conditions allow. The braking effect of lower gears/engine revs is startling.

Edited by royoftherovers
spelling error.

33 minutes ago, SpeedyGee said:

John, do you mean dropping gears in a manual gearbox to reduce speed ?

I mean dropping gears in the CVT gearbox Speedy.

Push the gear stick/leaver to the right when in D and you will feel the effect immediately.The lights on the Dash will show which "gear "you are in. Look at the HANDBOOK for more information.

You then move the gear stick back to the left so that you are in D to move away or stay in the lower gear if you are in traffic. 

36 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Push the gear stick/leaver to the right when in D and you will feel the effect immediately.The lights on the Dash will show which "gear "you are in. Look at the HANDBOOK for more information.

You then move the gear stick back to the left so that you are in D to move away or stay in the lower gear if you are in traffic. 

I also do this with my GS300 to help reduce brake pads wear.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

The vehicle has regenerative brakes so the mechanical ones don't get used as often, that is why the pads/discs last so well. Only if you brake heavily and the needle goes beyond the charge range on the power meter do the mechanical brakes start to be applied. Changing 'gears' on the CVT is just he same as applying a small amount brake - it is simulating engine braking using the regenerative brakes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Ah, yes !

I've not had my 450H long but I do actually (occasionally) do this already. Mostly I try to only apply light breaking, trying to utilise the regen brakes as much as possible. 

I'm not sure how the previous owner drove the car but the front and rear discs (especially front are pretty worn) and mileage if only at about 60K. 

3 minutes ago, grantwils said:

I heard that you should give the brakes a jab occasionally to keep the discs from corroding too much. Is that balls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is sound and sensible advice Grant, especially if one uses a lot of engine braking.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grantwils said:

I heard that you should give the brakes a jab occasionally to keep the discs from corroding too much. Is that balls?

Occasional heavy braking will help to keep rear disks clean for sure. They aren't used much due to the big front disks and regen on the rear axle.

I've also found that the brakes can vibrate a bit if you don't stand on them regularly.  Initially I wasn't using much force and thought the disks were warped but after the MOT the brakes were fine and not all all snatch-y. So I think the pads leave material on the disks e.g. when stopped in traffic with your foot on the brake/car in drive and if this material isn't forced off occasionally it then causes the brakes to snatch a bit as it catches the pad material left on the disk. I guess I may have a poor set of pads fitted that exacerbates this and would like to what others think.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Farqui said:

Occasional heavy braking will help to keep rear disks clean for sure. They aren't used much due to the big front disks and regen on the rear axle.

I've also found that the brakes can vibrate a bit if you don't stand on them regularly.  Initially I wasn't using much force and thought the disks were warped but after the MOT the brakes were fine and not all all snatch-y. So I think the pads leave material on the disks e.g. when stopped in traffic with your foot on the brake/car in drive and if this material isn't forced off occasionally it then causes the brakes to snatch a bit as it catches the pad material left on the disk. I guess I may have a poor set of pads fitted that exacerbates this and would like to what others think.

I occasionally get this 'problem'. See thread I raised last year:

When it starts to happen I just brake heavily a couple of times when pulling off the motorway on the slip road. Seems to last a couple of months,

• Like 2

Back in Glasgow. 250miles at 75mph with a few opportunities to get the foot down. 36mpg. 14.5p/mile (brimmed the tank when I left and when I arrived home).
Pleasantly surprised with the economy so far. Very comfortable car.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey Grant, good to hear that you picked it up and she got you home okay.

Is it what you expected?

Will be keen to hear how you get on with it over the next few weeks as you settle in together ;)

Hey Grant, good to hear that you picked it up and she got you home okay.

Is it what you expected?

Will be keen to hear how you get on with it over the next few weeks as you settle in together ;)

So far it’s what I expected. The wheel ‘refurb’ they promised is a rattle can job which they’ve made an arse of which is the biggest disappointment. The bodywork isn’t as good as they said it was but I didn’t believe them anyway so it’s as I expected. So far seems to be an honest car.

Alignment is out but they’ve agreed to pay for me to get it done nearer home. Got that in writing. I’ll take it to a local place with the hunter system so it will get done properly. Probably be £60-135 or so.

There’s a couple of chips on the windscreen but they’ve said they’ll pay for a new windscreen if any cracks appear from the chips or the chips grow. I got that in writing as it’s a £500 windscreen AFAIK.

On the plus side it has some things I didn’t think it would have such as rear blind and boot spoiler. I didn’t think they were on the base model.

Heated seats aren’t very heated at all, is that normal?

I’m hoping I can do some DIY improvements, nothing major just tidying up the bodywork, wheels, etc. I’m desperate to polish up the exhaust tips.

The AFS seems different to the Mrs RX system. When you turn the lights on on the RX they move up/down/sideways and return to position. On the GS they just go up and down, no sideways sweep. Is that normal?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ah so she needs some TLC, fixing that'll keep you out of trouble ;)

I agree, my heated seats aren't as effective as previous cars. But they weren't Hybrids either and I presume the seats work at lower temps to reduce the electrical drain? I've not tried another GS to compare with either tho.

The sideways headlight movement is very subtle, a bit of a gimmick IMO.