Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Potential Lexus Owner/Recommendation

pointer7

Hi All, Newbie here!

I used to have a 2003 IS200 which I traded in for a Saab 9-3 Aero.

I miss my Lexus so I'm now looking for an IS250, I have heard that the trim levels can be quite confusing so does anyone have any tips/things to look out for? I have budgeted around £5k for one

Hi Lee, welcome to the forum!

You might find this thread a good starting place for what to look-out for: IS250

And as for trims etc., Parker's have a pretty good spec area on their website. 

6 hours ago, pointer7 said:

After searching around a few websites, I think I need to up my budget a bit!

Hmm, not necessarily. It depends on your expected annual mileage and how long you want to keep it. IS260 owners will be better able to advise you, but for me I'd go for a later car even if it is a bit 'leggy'. 2008 models on Autotrader with 100k could well be a better buy than a 2005 with 50k on it. 

18 minutes ago, gdh300 said:

Hmm, not necessarily. It depends on your expected annual mileage and how long you want to keep it. IS260 owners will be better able to advise you, but for me I'd go for a later car even if it is a bit 'leggy'. 2008 models on Autotrader with 100k could well be a better buy than a 2005 with 50k on it. 

Evening.

Relatively new IS250 owner here.

Recommend auto over manual.

There are lots of fancy gadgets - sat nav, electric seats, memory seats, heated seats, etc.  They do go wrong and hence would suggest taking out the Lexus warranty to ciover them if they go wrong.

I think you need to find a balance between age and mileages....I have a '57 reg with 68k miles.  There are some good deals out there but you need to look for them and be quick if a good one comes up.  £5/6k should get  you a decent on.  Look for Lexus service history etc .....all the usual stuff.

They are good cars, they should, and do, last a long time if looked after right.

Have a read of this ( in case you haven't already!)

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/is-2005/

learned a lot ( apart from this forum of course😀) Before I decided I was going to go for a (good as I could get with my budget) SE-L, was a bonus when after travelling a fair few hundred miles looking at 250's one turned up on my doorstep with 38k miles and a Sunroof option ( Lexus call it a Moonroof! For some reason) and when I went and viewed it, it turned out to have the only other option of Active Cruise Control (ACC), so it was sold to the man in the 17 year old Mondeo ( Me) before I even drove it. Only thing is the colour was/ is my least favourite choice - Argento Silver they call it...but matched with the black leather interior ( only choice for me) I can live with it....Don't tell the missus but I'm looking at ISF's but with only one eye at the moment!!!

Best of luck hunting and it seems that for some reason there are lots of really good SE-L coming up all the time at the moment.

paul m.

PS got mine at BMC!

Second the recommendation for the SE-L spec with ML entertainment system and the auto box - high miles are not an issue if its been looked after but depends on how many miles you are going to put on it, only for considering the re-sale value when you come to sell again.

There are a few known issues with them - do your reading on the forum before purchasing. Not a lot goes wrong with them other than wear and tear

Hello All,

Thanks for the recommendations, all in all I would probably be doing 200- 250 miles a week (probably 80% motorway miles) I don't particularly want a diesel but I do want an auto.

I have seen a few higher mileage ones but they are a Lexus and do go on forever as you say.... decisions!