Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Independent servicing

Thinking of going for independent servicing now the car is 4 years old, we have a mechanic in the family who does good work at a fair cost. Don’t fancy the £645 Lexus Service coming at 60k - or in my case 45k (6th Service).

i have the extended warranty with 2 years remaining.

As long as I buy genuine parts is the warranty good or do I need to keep taking it to Lexus until the warranty is up?

3 minutes ago, Ben1001 said:

Thinking of going for independent servicing now the car is 4 years old, we have a mechanic in the family who does good work at a fair cost. Don’t fancy the £645 Lexus Service coming at 60k - or in my case 45k (6th Service).

i have the extended warranty with 2 years remaining.

As long as I buy genuine parts is the warranty good or do I need to keep taking it to Lexus until the warranty is up?

Well it won't be £645 then if its only at 40k.

The spark plugs are the main things changed at 60k which degrade with mileage not time. Therefore you would only need a Full service, not a 60k one.

Extended Warranty is invalid if taken to an independent

Thanks - will stick with Lexus for the next 2 years.

ive already had the 40k Service, despite the car being at 28k at the time - I was told it’s the 4th Service so they treat as 4th year. I had assumed this would follow ie 5th service interim and 6th Service equating to the 60k/6 year service?

21 hours ago, Ben1001 said:

Thanks - will stick with Lexus for the next 2 years.

ive already had the 40k Service, despite the car being at 28k at the time - I was told it’s the 4th Service so they treat as 4th year. I had assumed this would follow ie 5th service interim and 6th Service equating to the 60k/6 year service?

Well yes it follows the intermediate and full regime but the big services include additional work like spark plugs etc which don't need doing - however, Lexus will happily charge you the extra and change them anyway (or if they're naughty - leave them be).

Thinking of going independent myself here forward.

Does anyone have a full checklist of what each service interval entails?

There's been talk of what Lexus publish on their site in pdf form, and what is on their checklist in the workshop.

I'd rather be more through of course, so the more comprehensive the better.

On 1/7/2018 at 7:38 PM, matt8 said:

Thinking of going independent myself here forward.

Does anyone have a full checklist of what each service interval entails?

There's been talk of what Lexus publish on their site in pdf form, and what is on their checklist in the workshop.

I'd rather be more through of course, so the more comprehensive the better.

Its all on the Lexus website - just google search Lexus Servicing and it should come up - scroll down and the checklists is there.

The official Lexus service checklist doesn't change air and pollen filter but for some reason, my RRG service plan has it included for no extra cost along with free puncture repairs in the family, 1 free full valet each year and 10% off parts. 

I presume the Lexus official checklist is just the minimum standard of what needs to be done - dealerships will do what they usually do i.e. change filters if they usually change them or just inspect them if they usually inspect them

• Thanks 1

On 11/01/2018 at 7:46 AM, Martin F said:

There are better checklists available with more detail and specs within the technical portal, but you will need to pay for access.

https://www.lexus-tech.eu/

Think I may purchase access and download all of them for record purposes. 

Anyone ever paid for a subscription? Easy to download for future reference? 

3 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

I believe that's only true on manufacturer warranty ie the warranty that comes with the new car. 

It does not apply to extended warranty

4 hours ago, Texas said:

*don't ' belive' be sure to check the small  print!

Well OK then if you really want to be pedantic- it only applied to manufacturer warranty and not extended warranty.

extended warranty is subject to terms and conditions. One of them is that Lexus main dealers service it.

Car makers own extended warranties aren't necessarily the best out there. There are independent company extended warranties that are excellent and made for people who feel their hands are tied because of terms and conditions. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Car makers own extended warranties aren't necessarily the best out there. There are independent company extended warranties that are excellent and made for people who feel their hands are tied because of terms and conditions. 

Vlad, can you name one Company (apart from Lexus` own Warranty Company) that will cover the Hybrid Battery ?

Personally I wouldn’t touch third party warranties, too many loop holes to get out of paying plus compared to the Lexus rate of £400 a year I don’t think you’d get the same level of savings and maintain the level of cover.

The main cost of the warranty appears to be keeping up with the Lexus servicing.

If I remember correctly Warranty Direct would cover the batteries But if I'm wrong I wouldn't personally be bothered after seeing a video on youtube about a company in America supplying new replacement Battery cells for the Prius. I think by the time the batteries in my car needing attention then that same company, of which I believe there are quite a number spread about America and by that time too they'd be here in blighty, I'd get replace cells and change them myself. 

Toyota will do my servicing. Lexus will do the hybrid heath check and all other electrical mechanical items will be covered by WD. 

It' my choice at the end of the day and also my car will undoubtedly be the most looked after is300h out there and for a fraction of the cost the 'I saw you coming' company known as lexus.

Thankyou