Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I’m in the market for a LS430 for a roadtrip I’m planning. 

I viewed one locally which I’ve discounted based on the limited history and the price. 

I’ve spotted this one on eBayhttps://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/04-LEXUS-LS430-4-3-V8-FACELIFT-6-SPEED-AUTO-PREMIUM-PACK-LOOKS-DRIVES-SUPERB/302591768619 and it’s prompted me to start this thread. 

With just over 250k on the clock that seems to be one of the higher mileage examples out there. 

How well does the LS range wear mileage of that nature? Obviously it depends on the service history but is there anything major that I should be looking out for?

If the car has been serviced properly, 200,000+ miles should not be a problem. The LS400/LS430 engines can do high mileages and still run really well. I bought my 1997 LS400 in 2014 with service history and a mileage of 211,000. It has now done 224,000. It ran great when I bought it and and it still runs great. Gearbox still changes very smoothly and no noise from the differential on the rear axle. In short, the LS range ears high mileages very well.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GibletPH said:

I’m in the market for a LS430 for a roadtrip I’m planning. 

I viewed one locally which I’ve discounted based on the limited history and the price. 

I’ve spotted this one on eBay - https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/04-LEXUS-LS430-4-3-V8-FACELIFT-6-SPEED-AUTO-PREMIUM-PACK-LOOKS-DRIVES-SUPERB/302591768619 and it’s prompted me to start this thread. 

With just over 250k on the clock that seems to be one of the higher mileage examples out there. 

How well does the LS range wear mileage of that nature? Obviously it depends on the service history but is there anything major that I should be looking out for?

Don't go anywhere near it. He is well known around the Lexus ownership. He used to use the name Lexuschap but he was taken to court for messing with the mileage on cars together with false service records and a host of many other things. He was fined thousands but it doesn't seem to have stopped him. Just forget about it.

• Like 1

Mot history on that motor has two anomalies 

june 2011 pass has Less miles than previous fail on same day?

and why would you mot a car so soon on 20 Nov 2008 after it passed 3 days previous??

I know DVLA do make some mistakes and he (assumed) never had the car then but Ebay user Name history is a bit colourful to say the least.

paul m.

The basic drive train should be fine if oil and coolant have been changed regularly. The suspension is another issue. Air suspension on high mileage cars is a ticking bomb. Unless ball joints and bushes/arms have been replaced, some work will be needed there. Proof of suspension work is a good indication of how well a car has been looked after, as many an LS400 (at least) will drive nicely even if the suspension is past its best. I recently replaced the ball joints on my 99 LS400 which had 65k miles on them. The ball joints looked fine with good boots and no damage, however on removal I could move the joint too easily and it was clear it was not up to spec. It would have gone much longer until an MOT failure, however.

Longevity is excellent with proper servicing and a little tlc, things do wear out but when replaced with good quality will last another 150k miles etc.

At 202k miles I'm still on original front and rear offside UCAs and 3 original springs ! ...................  and of course the original exhaust.

My third  Ls400 and 16 years driving these amazing beasts as my main car, and probably having driven @200k miles in them  :yahoo:  

Malc

• Like 2

I notice all but 1 of these posts were made yesterday, I just checked eBay & he's got a ''Sorry you've missed it'' notice there now (Sat 10am) the car might not even have existed, its a potential sales ploy for future sales making out you have to buy quick when you see one, rather than take time & look around & also making it seem that the cars are much 'sought after' & therefor ''desirable'', he's sure 'left' enough blurb there >about a non existent motor< of which theres not a lot around & up for sale.

To be honest & if it were me  I would not hang around at all.

There is a pattern these days of commercial sellers selling the 400's & maybe the 430's at very high prices >compared to< what a private individual has/would sell them for, so, because theres not a lot around I would just go see any that appealed to me & take it or leave it when/after a test drive, otherwise, potentially, I might see the same car on sale by a commercial seller at a few £k mark up to what it was only a few days before.

The LS400's are being sold at an enormous price compared to the same car 5 years ago, I never saw as many used LS's being sold (which means they must have been bought) by commercial sellers a few years ago (5 years+), thats my own personal take on things anyway.

Don't be afraid of high mileage on any LS - but ownership and maintenance history are crucial. My first LS400 was bought from a chauffeur hire company with 340,000 miles and had no problems except aircon compressor failure which could happen on any 20 rear old car. I have recently sold my second LS400 to a friend  (and I wouldn't do that unless I was totally confident) at 310,000 and bought one with 175,000 miles, which did need quite a lot of 'catch-up' jobs but the tidy original body makes it worth keeping.

I do think the 400 is less complex and more elegant than the 430, but on the other hand the 430 still has that feel of Lexus quality which long term owners value.

Either way, choose on condition and history and you'll never look at another make.

9 hours ago, GibletPH said:

Cheers, I’ve added it to my shortlist. 

Better take it off again, I only just checked its MOT history (10:30pm), it has no MOT, back to drawing board

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dendonc said:

Better take it off again, I only just checked its MOT history (10:30pm), it has no MOT, back to drawing board

Explains why the seller never replied to my message. For petes sake