Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi and happy new year! 

Today I reversed around a corner with full lock to the right and then when i turned the wheel all the way to the left to go on my way i heard a knock when moving off with full lock to the left, a single knock like some metal snapped but not very loud! 

I went back in the same place and done the same maneuver 3 times thinking it would repeat... nothing! Then drove for 10 miles at both low and high speed around corners with windows down to see if anymore knocks come back! Then when i got to work, parking there is quite tight and requires both full lock to the left and full lock to the right but i could not hear anything at all! 

Also steering does not seem affected! I drove for like a mile in a straight line without touching the steering wheel! 

Conclusion in that i cannot find any aftermath of that knock on full left lock! 

Maybe it is worth mentioning there was a bit of downhill ramp as well...

If it hasn’t happened since I wouldn’t worry, it could have been the cold weather causing a bush to tighten up a little more than normal or a suspension spring twisting, like I said if the car still drives fine and is level all around don’t worry unduly.

There's a bit of faulty geometry on IS models at full lock - Ie the geometry isn't quite to Ackerman rules which mean the wheels should follow parallel arcs when the wheel is turned - or not quite in the case of IS. It only affects full lock (or near) positions and often the tyres iron it out. Sometimes you feel it as a single knock or a series of knocks as the tyre slips on the road. And it can depend on whether you were moving forward (or backward) when you were turning the steering wheel - you always should be moving as it greatly reduces stress and wear on the inner and outer track rod joints and the steering rack.

Nothing to worry about.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links