Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

F with bike

Yes I know they all do it, Lexus included and they do have a business to run, just wish they would be a bit more subtle with it given it was only inspected by them 500 miles ago. I expect the avalanche of jobs will come at the next service/warranty renewal in November so will start saving now!

On 25/03/2018 at 5:15 PM, Big Rat said:

I took a little trip to Quicksilver Exhausts on Friday to pick up some systems for myself and others and had a long chat with the owner Paul Goddard, I'm a past owner of a Gt3 a 996 so was chuffed to be shown his own car it's a low mileage minter mind you it's now on its 3rd engine it seems that the chocolate motors of the past haven't quite been eradicated by Porsche.

Major engine problems never effected the previous GT and turbo cars it's a shame hopefully they've solved it now wouldn't want to run one without a warranty 😳

IMG_3746.thumb.JPG.17f391055b794a7a4c9978d0d0bfc9e2.JPGIMG_3747.thumb.JPG.c5194db3849dbd061f4ebf1904f585e9.JPGIMG_3748.thumb.JPG.674fea76465eaa7d76c1aa9925baa261.JPG

Big Rat, when you say its on its third engine, do you mean this Left Hooker 991 GT3 is on its third?? Yes, I've only ever owned Turbo and GT3 for that very reason. The fact the CUP car uses the same engine in the 996/7 GT3 says it all, unlike the early 991 GT3 which actually ran our old Metzger in the CUP car!! Tells you exactly what Porsche thought of the early 991 GT3 engine doesn't it! 

• Like 1

On 28/03/2018 at 9:21 PM, Comedian said:

I had to look it up: https://www.total911.com/technology-explained-mezger-engine/

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Got confused after “first off” 😳.....never had a Porsche, always been something about them I liked......BUT the reliability of the engine is something that I find “TOTALLY” unacceptable, a car of this heritage should never suffer this fate, Porsche should surely replace the engine with one without the design flaws that this one has 🤔.......personally I’d be scared to use it, once warranties are unavailable you will need hugely deep pockets to own one......such a shame 

• Like 2

Agree, they have a lot of qualities but when you dig under the surface there are some very significant issues that Porsche seem quite keen to suppress for obvious reasons and the general motoring press will rarely pick up on as they are usually just testing brand new models and are more interested in how the car performs at speed and so on rather than the longer term ownership proposition. I guess if you are wealthy enough to buy a new one every couple of years then these issues don't impact you or if they do, the everything is done under warranty and you get a lovely courtesy car while your car is getting fixed. This seems to be quite similar to what I read about Landrovers, I really like the FF Range Rovers but running one out of warranty would be a nerve wracking and a potentially financially ruinous experience and that doesn't seem to be the case with Japanese cars and of course we know from our own experience of the F performance cars that generally speaking you are on very sold ground in terms of the ownership experience, and when you combine this with strong dealer service then for many it will make for more of a satisfying ownership experience even though you may feel that initially you are 'compromising' on the choice of car you purchase.

• Like 3

A good post Nick and that is precisely the ownership profile and my experience of the marque, if you were 'happy' to run which ever model it was on that basis of a what many know as the the 2 year turnaround, in that buy the car 2 year warranty at point of sale with an OPC presupposing it's a used car. Run it as intended track it and so on and give it back get another or move on.

I always bought from an OPC always had them warranted, all 6 had issues both mechanical and electrical not a month would go bye without something of the 6 cars 2 were brand new and the other four  nearly new.

One most always remember with a 911 and a Boxster is one simple fact where the engine is and the the cost of labour let alone the parts because of the inaccessibility of the bloody things !

The susceptibility to damage to the rads condensers at the front the list is endless really........ but when there Good and your enjoying yourself it kinda makes up for it some of the time anyway :wink3:

As for a JLR product no way not for me 😁

Big Rat

• Like 1

I had come to the conclusion through my own experience that owning German manufactured cars outside the 1st  3 warrantied years was usually costly, but I thought Porsche were supposed to be better than the others - clearly not.

What a shame as I like other find this sort of stuff completely unacceptable, especially for the 911 which has been developed over such an extended period. Makes me glad I’m now on my 2nd “F”.

• Like 1

Agree thanks both, I suspect the perceived or otherwise desirability of both Porsche and JLR products tends to outweigh the ownership issues that some (not all) owners will face, each individual I guess will have their own tolerance levels of what they will or not put up with which will dictate the length of ownership and repeat purchase of the marque. Big Rat I suspected you knew this after your first Porsche purchase but the 'pull' was enough to lure you back on five more occasions which perhaps explains the desirability factor. I knew what I was going into when I purchased the 911 and have read enough horror stories to know what could happen and the costs involved, hence why the warranty was so important to me. As you say DAW, I also just feel it's wrong/unacceptable that they cannot sort out the common faults but it's their business so not much I can do. Once I have had my fun/experience it will be F number three for me and on the positive side the pull of the marque means that there will be plenty of other people out there wanting to experience the 911 and the demand for the right cars also means that the depreciation will be extremely minimal, not unlike the F cars so it is not all bad news in terms of the 911 ownership experience.

• Like 2

To be fair to land rover I did own a Freelander 2 from new for six years and only had 1 warranty issue,(half shaft) it was and has been land rovers my reliable model.

l also enjoyed my boxster s for a year but sold it before any problems,and your right the condensers and rads were constant problems.

i did enjoy driving it though.

Yes my wife had a Boxster way back in 2001 - lucky enough to have it as a company car and also with a fuel card and we did 130k miles in it over four years and it never missed a beat, it was the 2.7 tip which all the journos slag off but it was just fine, very basis spec to keep the monthly contributionabove the co car allowance down but was a lovely steer and I do like a convertible and have toyed with perhaps a Boxster next although some seem to view it as a step down from the 911 and not a proper Porsche etc but for me the Boxster was more fun and easier to drive quickly than the 911- perhaps that's more of a reflection of my driving skills than the ability of the cars. Anyhow if I am going for another cabriolet next time and want to stick with Lexus it's going to have to be an SC430!

• Like 1

@Nick W858 The 2.7 was probably the most reliable of the lot apart from the earlier 2.5 cars.

Porsche typically just kept drilling bigger and bigger holes in the block to increase capacity and all they did was increase unreliability 🙄

18 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

As you say DAW, I also just feel it's wrong/unacceptable that they cannot sort out the common faults but it's their business so not much I can do. Once I have had my fun/experience it will be F number three for me and on the positive side the pull of the marque means that there will be plenty of other people out there wanting to experience the 911 and the demand for the right cars also means that the depreciation will be extremely minimal, not unlike the F cars so it is not all bad news in terms of the 911 ownership experience.

I came very close to buying a very nice Black 2011 manual 997 Gen 2 C2S with the aero kit & 13.5k on the clock from Leeds Porsche for all the reasons you mention., but I couldn’t bring myself to part with the ISF at the time.

I had still been keeping a close eye on the market until quite recently with a view to buying, feeling I needed  to own one at some point, so I do totally understand the draw.  But the more I read & hear the less they appeal as for me the problems always ruin the ownership experience which is a shame - & I fully expect to have issues given my experience with the other German manufacturer’s over the previous 15 years prior to buying the ISF.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2018 at 9:16 PM, Big Rat said:

@Steviebee That’s right 3rd engine 🙄

Ah yes the mighty Metzger 🤗

Big Rat

3rd! Wholly ****! Thats shocking! Can't wait to tell my made whos just 'upgraded' his 997 GT3 for one lol I can be cruel like that 😁

• Like 2