Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A winter tyre thread we can all understand...

rich1068

Not sure if any of you follow Jalopnik as you trawl the t'interwebs getting your fix of motor related nonsense but this caught my eye https://jalopnik.com/you-dont-need-all-wheel-drive-in-the-snow-1821806245

I noticed a few weeks ago that one of their guys had just bought an IS300 Sportcross and now he's having fun in the aftermath of the "bomb cyclone". The reason for me posting this here is that absolutely none of that would be possible in my very similar (save the rear end) IS300 saloon. Absolutely none at all. Not bothering with winter rubber this year means that when we had about half an inch of snow the other week one of my neighbours offered to push me out of my parking space. Bambi on ice springs to mind.

I'm well aware of the benefits of winter tyres having run them for a number of years but even I sat open mouthed watching the Jalopnik video.

• Like 1

I saw more 4x4s in London than when on holiday to Iceland, Norway or Finland. The right tyres and the right driving technique are all you need unless going up really steep stuff or completely off road/into deep stuff. A 4x4 doesn't help with stopping either!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of winter wheels and tyres in my garage which - I'm ashamed - to say are still there this winter. My back seems to be getting worse as I get older so that the last time I gave the old girl a proper wash I knew all about it for the following week; the prospect of swapping over all four wheels filled me with dread. If it looks like we are going to have a decent fall, I will probably put them on but so far I've been impressed with my ZV7 in the cooler temperatures. Or better still, I might just stay at home! I think it will be CrossClimates for me next time.

2 hours ago, gdh300 said:

I have a set of winter wheels and tyres in my garage which - I'm ashamed - to say are still there this winter. My back seems to be getting worse as I get older so that the last time I gave the old girl a proper wash I knew all about it for the following week; the prospect of swapping over all four wheels filled me with dread. If it looks like we are going to have a decent fall, I will probably put them on but so far I've been impressed with my ZV7 in the cooler temperatures. Or better still, I might just stay at home! I think it will be CrossClimates for me next time.

PM me if you want to get rid of them. I've been caught out again today and if it doesn't clear by tomorrow then my wife has to get a taxi in to work as I take the Volvo. Not good.

I might well do that matey. You'll get more snow in Yorkshire than I ever will in Hampshire! I've put winters on the IS and my previous car for must be about the last eight winters and only used them in proper snow once (ironically, I was in Huddersfield at the time). I'll have a look at them and give you some details of tread etc.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links