Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

5 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

That does look very nice but I didn't really want a hybrid.

Why??????????????????????????????????????? :) They're really reliable, in comparison the straight petrol makes no sense at all. IMHO of course.

I have an 08 with similar mileage but I certainly wouldn't sell it for that price, snap it up before someone else does.

Road tax is £230 GS300 is £520

Batteries very rarely give problems but should you be really unlucky and have a problem, there's a guy (member here) who can fix it for just a few hundred. The difference in a couple of years road tax sorts it.  If it's been serviced by Lexus, it will have had the health check anyway but it's only about £50 to have it checked before you buy it anyway.

MPG varies 32-40 and don't floor it without your neck brace on. :)

JUST DO IT. :)

Running costs GS300

Urban mpg 19.6 mpg
Extra Urban mpg  39.2 mpg
Average mpg  28.8 mpg
CO2 emissions  232g/km
Annual Tax £520

Performance

Engine power  245 bhp
Engine size  2995 cc
Brochure Engine size  3.0 litres
Acceleration (0-60mph) 7.2 seconds
Top speed 148 mph
Drivetrain Rear Wheel Drive

Running costs GS450h

Urban mpg 31.0 mpg
Extra Urban mpg  39.8 mpg
Average mpg  35.8 mpg
CO2 emissions  185g/km
Annual Tax  £230

Performance

Engine power  292 bhp
Engine size  3456 cc
Brochure Engine size  3.5 litres
Acceleration (0-60mph) 5.9 seconds
Top speed  155 mph
Drivetrain Rear Wheel Drive

I was nervous at first but I've had my GS450h for three years and though I've had problems (Brake Caliper / Shock Absorber etc.) the Hybrid system has operated flawlessly.

Any problems I've had, could have happened to a GS300 too.

• Like 2

Plus one for hybrid, agree with all that's been said. Get a tidy one with Lexus history, you'll never look back.

But do consider the small boot for the size of the car, other than that it's all positive IMO.

Brian.

• Like 1

I would get the gs300/Gs430. The gs450h is very nice car, and I mean very nice, but when the hybrid batteries fail, yes it's expensive, there is guy on here who does replace or repair them for I think for £800, but boot space is small, but you won't get that issue with a Gs300/430

31 minutes ago, messi said:

I would get the gs300/Gs430. The gs450h is very nice car, and I mean very nice, but when the hybrid batteries fail, yes it's expensive, there is guy on here who does replace or repair them for I think for £800, but boot space is small, but you won't get that issue with a Gs300/430

The boot space isn't really a problem, I'm just thinking that the non hybrid would be a bit less complicated when something does go wrong.  A bit of thinking to do.

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

So how reliable is the hybrid system as it gets to this age/mileage?  And what are you looking at cost wise when the batteries go kaput?

Should be fine for now - its not the end of the world if it does go wrong.

Obviously I repair / recon batteries so cant advertise my price but others on here may tell you, other things to check include, if there is a buzzing or whering noise when at a stop & engine off - Auxiliary transmission oil cooling pump (home repair of this is possible at home too for @ £60 ish)

Shock absorbers leaking they are £350 ish each,

Contrary to Lexus information aftermarket 12v  Auxilliary batteries can be fitted @ £70 - £150 rather than OE ones at over £400.

Obviously I am biased - I own one & love it! Tax is high for a hybrid due i think to its CO emmisions but still affordable, last time i got it was I think £250ish but check that.

I think 99% of all problems can be rectified with information from our forum so I wouldn't hesitate if all else is good Mr Acre !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, messi said:

When you get a problem the first thing you do is search the internet for advice and solutions. It's inevitable that forums spring into the search results.  I joined this forum when I had my caliper problems. So I would imagine there's a good proportion of all Battery problems reported to forums but the actually statistics would not take into account the thousands of owners, who are not members of any forum because they've never had a problem with anything.

2 hours ago, AmbroseJohn said:

Road tax is £230 GS300 is £520

Batteries very rarely give problems but should you be really unlucky and have a problem, there's a guy (member here) who can fix it for just a few hundred. The difference in a couple of years road tax sorts it.  If it's been serviced by Lexus, it will have had the health check anyway but it's only about £50 to have it checked before you buy it anyway.

MPG varies 32-40 and don't floor it without your neck brace on. :)

JUST DO IT. :)

My view too !  )if you can stomach the interior colour!!

1 hour ago, messi said:

I was put off the GS430 because of the £900 estimate for renewing the timing belt and stuff. That's an inevitable maintenance bill, that has to be paid to avoid the possibilities of a huge bill,  not a maybe it will or won't situation. You won't get that problem with a 450h.

Running a quality car has its pitfalls,  no matter which model you choose, the pitfalls just vary from model to model.

If your ls doesn't come my way Phil I'm thinking of a gs450h. My budget will be lower so I'll be taking a bigger risk and probably buying privately.  I' also looking at importing one.. saw this at jap auction . Looks nice

FB_IMG_1515256821200.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AmbroseJohn said:

I was put off the GS430 because of the £900 estimate for renewing the timing belt and stuff. That's an inevitable maintenance bill, that has to be paid to avoid the possibilities of a huge bill,  not a maybe it will or won't situation. You won't get that problem with a 450h.

Running a quality car has its pitfalls,  no matter which model you choose, the pitfalls just vary from model to model.

£900 for a timing belt? Wow, it's  £395 at main dealers and add £101 extra for the water pump.

1 hour ago, messi said:

£900 for a timing belt? Wow, it's  £395 at main dealers and add £101 extra for the water pump.

Just shows what crap you can find on the internet.

When I was told that, I was comparing ownership of LS460, Seven Series and S Class, I somehow finished up with a Gs450h.

Having said that at 395+101 you're more than half way to a recon Battery, which you may not even need but you definitely won't need a timing belt change on a 450h.

Thank you all for the info.  I won't rush into anything, apart from a phone call to Newbury in the morning.  Just one more question (for now) how reliable are the electric motors on the hybrid?

I'm going to really miss my LS, so whatever I replace it with needs to be a worthy substitute.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Thank you all for the info.  I won't rush into anything, apart from a phone call to Newbury in the morning.  Just one more question (for now) how reliable are the electric motors on the hybrid?

I'm going to really miss my LS, so whatever I replace it with needs to be a worthy substitute.

I`ve not had any problems Phil in four and a half years and 37,000 miles.

Do a search for Tony Richa ,a member, as he did over 200,000 miles in his and then suffered a problem which Lexus said required a new gearbox, but Haynes (another member) solved it for a few pounds and a good deal of his time.

Regards

4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ve not had any problems Phil in four and a half years and 37,000 miles.

Do a search for Tony Richa ,a member, as he did over 200,000 miles in his and then suffered a problem which Lexus said required a new gearbox, but Haynes (another member) solved it for a few pounds and a good deal of his time.

Regards

Thanks John,

I'm going to phone about the link the other John sent me tomorrow.  It's about 80 miles away so could be worse.  

14 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Thanks John,

I'm going to phone about the link the other John sent me tomorrow.  It's about 80 miles away so could be worse.  

You already know the quality of Lexus, the Hybrid is that and then some. Good luck.