Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More IS 300h on the road

I don't know whether this is reflected in the Lexus sales figures, but when I decided to purchase an IS 300h 14 months ago I hardly saw one other on the road (a few CT200h but not much else). The last couple of months I have noticed a (relative) sudden growth in numbers and frequently pass one or two while driving around. Whether this is the result of diesel-gate or the company car BIK biting I don't know (I run mine privately and have always hated diesel cars anyway) but it's certainly noticeable - of course they are not as common as the BMW/Mercedes/Audi brigade (yet!) but I don't feel like the only person around my neck of the woods driving one anymore! I live in the south of England - is the same happening across the country I wonder?

The frequency of sightings and proportionately reduced "exclusivity" of the IS300h directly reflects the cumulative total of the car's sales

since launch and, until a replacement comes out, will continue to increase.   Prospective customers concerned about constantly diminishing

exclusivity and who have no great need for useful rear seats might want to take a closer look at the RC ....:unsure::yes:

• Haha 1

IS sales have declined year on year since the series III was released until this last year where sales picked up slightly with the mid-cycle refresh, but we are still only talking less than 2,000 vehicles. As Rabbers states above it is just a cumulative effect.

No danger of your Lexus being as common as a BMW. BMW sell around 15,000 vehicles a month across their entire range (not including Mini), Lexus sell around 13,000 in a year.

All good points and had crossed my mind (the German trio was a bit tongue in cheek!) - however, the increased number of IS 300h's I am seeing do all appear to be new registrations within the last year - I don't see hardly any registered more than a year ago. Given the small numbers involved it's not statistically valid of course, but it's certainly a big relative increase that I've noticed in the last few months. To be fair mind you, a number of my neighbours have changed cars recently and many of those have purchased hybrids (switching from diesel) - from small hatchbacks through to SUVs (no other IS 300h's yet though!) - the winds of change they are certainly a 'blowin!

What I've found over the years is that you notice more of the cars you drive. For example you gone from a beemer 3 series to a GS300. You then start seeing the GS300 because you'e got one and didn't notice them prior to your purchase.

You probably notice less CT200's now.

Lexus publish all their sales figures, IS sales have fallen pretty much year on year since launch. Last year (2017) figures were half that of 2014. 

The RC though has been a total flop, just 428 sold in 2017!!! I think BMW probably shift that many 4 series coupes in a few weeks. 

http://media.lexus.co.uk/2017/11/lexus-vehicle-sales-figures-1990-2017/

12 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Lexus publish all their sales figures, IS sales have fallen pretty much year on year since launch. Last year (2017) figures were half that of 2014. 

The RC though has been a total flop, just 428 sold in 2017!!! I think BMW probably shift that many 4 series coupes in a few weeks. 

http://media.lexus.co.uk/2017/11/lexus-vehicle-sales-figures-1990-2017/

Interesting numbers- didn't know these were published on their website - the sales of the NX are probably the biggest surprise!

21 hours ago, ganzoom said:

..... The RC though has been a total flop, just 428 sold in 2017!!! ...... 

If a "flop" is defined as sales falling dramatically short of a manufacturer's reasonable expectations, I am not sure the term would necessarily

apply to the RC in the U.K.  I suspect that the 25-30% proportion of IS sales achieved by the RC (inclusive of the RC-F) in its first two full years

of market life in 2016-2017 may actually have exceeded expectations despite being favoured by the IS' mid-life decline.  After all, with all due

allowance for huge differences in relative scale and volumes, there is no way the Germans can ever have achieved similar ratios with their

coupés in respect of their saloons with equivalent powertrains.  By this same token I would suppose the success or otherwise of the RC within

the Lexus range is best judged by the extent to which its sales partially substitute those being lost by the IS and thus contribute to maintaining

the marque's overall market share.

The IS figures are a surprise.  Perhaps the focus on hybrid/non diesel cars will reverse the trend.  And although it is not really relevant I have just been in Cape Town and was amazed by the number of IS models I saw.   Perhaps the world sales figures of IS show a healthier picture ?.

2 hours ago, BigChange said:

The IS figures are a surprise.  Perhaps the focus on hybrid/non diesel cars will reverse the trend.  And although it is not really relevant I have just been in Cape Town and was amazed by the number of IS models I saw.   Perhaps the world sales figures of IS show a healthier picture ?.

Europe has never been a big market for Lexus. In the US the IS sells around 20,000 per year, but a more popular saloon is the ES which sells around 40,000.

12 hours ago, Rabbers said:

If a "flop" is defined as sales falling dramatically short of a manufacturer's reasonable expectations, I am not sure the term would necessarily

apply to the RC in the U.K.  I suspect that the 25-30% proportion of IS sales achieved by the RC (inclusive of the RC-F) in its first two full years

Are you lookin at the samr figures as me?

2014, 3800 IS sold, 8 RC.

2017, 1800 IS sold, 470 RC.

No idea what your on about the numbers speak for them selves - They are awful/tiny number of sales for a car that is suppose to be competing with the 3 series/C class/A4. It doesn't matter what the % split is RC/IS they are awful sales figures.

4 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Are you lookin at the samr figures as me?.... No idea what your on about the numbers speak for them selves .....  They are awful/tiny number of sales....etc.

Yes, I presume I was looking at the same figures, and I note you carefully edited your quotation from my post to omit the clear fact that I was referring 

to 2016 and 2017 in which the RC/IS unit splits were 720/2408 and 473/1803 equal to 29.9% and 26.2% respectively, which I simplified to 25-30%.  As 

for the opinions you derive from these figures, you are entitled to them while, until I see Lexus U.K. closing its doors because of awful results,  I'll stick 

to mine.

10 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Are you lookin at the samr figures as me?

2014, 3800 IS sold, 8 RC.

2017, 1800 IS sold, 470 RC.

No idea what your on about the numbers speak for them selves - They are awful/tiny number of sales for a car that is suppose to be competing with the 3 series/C class/A4. It doesn't matter what the % split is RC/IS they are awful sales figures.

Urm the only reason it's 8 in 2014 is because the RCF demos were registered then. The press got all of them. Carthrottle and autoexpress ones were 2014. 

The majority then started being registered after 2015.

TBH the main reason BMW sells loads of 4 series is because theyre mainly diesels, bog standard spec is cheap and loads are in fleets. I mean the 420d is on nearly every company car list. 

The RC was never meant to be a huge seller in the UK anyway.