Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What is are all your thoughts on this LS400. It's not to far away from me and its cheap. Really don't want to spend much over £2k on a 400, I'd stretch to £2.5K for a 430.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS-400-4-0-AUTO-1995-MTALLIC-SILVER-GREY-WITH-FULL-GREY-LEATHER-V8/332474452850?hash=item4d69058b72:g:oD8AAOSwlptaJpf2

I know the wheels need a major refurb but the MOT history looks reasonable for a car of this age.

hi, exactly the same age as mine October 1995  ..............  they're not original wheels though.

If you're happy with it's condition, service records etc then I wouldn't hesitate.

Had mine since 2011 ( my third Ls400  and now 16 years ownership in all ) when I paid £1400 but with Full Lexus Service History 

Mine's now on 202k miles with very modest servicing and maintenance costs  ...  I'm just about to have the cambelt etc and waterpump changed at the 100k miles / 10 year interval and that's a biggy ££££ job  BUT I'm keeping mine for the next 10 years so it's ok  :winkiss: 

Malc

Looks to be a lot of car for not a lot of money, obviously have to stand in front of it as photos are always flattering!

As for the coolant 'concern' then like I mentioned here   Post #10

It's new owner ( It could be you!) will prob give it a 'shot in the arm' and get everything tickety boo so to speak and that seems quite low miles for its age and therefore no reasonable reason why it shouldn't do another 160k

paul m.

Edited by Texas
Link added

6 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

look at that coolant reservoir. Doesn't look to be Toyota red which might give you some insight into how scrupulous servicing was.

I cant see any close ups which show the coolant reservoir + as far as 'Lexus Red' goes, well I suppose that might be a specific Lexus coolant but any reputable 'pink' coolant is perfectly OK & probably no 'significant' difference except the name.

Yes the MOT lack of advisories looks good, price is good

Edited by janey
Reported - some defamatory comments

Thanks for the replies. I've spoken to the bloke at the garage and I'm going to see it on Saturday afternoon.

Belt was changed at 127K so thats a big tick. If I'm happy with it he's going to MOT it before I buy as long as I pay for the MOT. I think this is fair as it does have a MOT to April on it.

If its close to the condition that it looks in the photos then it should be a good buy hopefully. Plus its my favourite shape with the DHP alloys.

Would someone be kind enough to write a checklist for me that I can copy and paste into my phone? I know its a big ask and I have read the forum but I could do with a check these 5 common issues etc. 

Cheers, Dunc

a tick list !

well, I can't think of anything significant now that you say the cambelt ( and peripherals and waterpump ) has been changed at 127k miles

The rusty tube running at the rear of the radiator might need replacing ..............  the pas cooler pipe I think  .... i have a post on that somewhere under " catastrophic pas leak " from a few years back, minor cost if fixed/done " right " but irritant if it just goes pop and lets you down somewhere awkward.

and of course the car will cut-out after a longish hot run and you will have to turn off the ignition, pop it into neutral and just restart with the ignition key ..  an irritant but you will so easily get used to that......  bit scary the first time but ALL Mk3 owners are used to that by now :zorro: 

the heated front seats can't be fixed to work and the door mirror glass might go a bit red but nothing major to concern over....... replacement non OEM glass is quite inexpensive to replace.

The bonnet struts might need replacing if not done already and there might be a boot leak that a new rubber will resolve ( check the spare wheel well for water )

Then just ENJOY the best car in the world for the next 20 years :yahoo: 

Malc

I forgot to mention

The Mk3 was the subject of a Lexus UK Recall to replace the starter motor.

When you buy this car i suggest you contact Lexus UK and ask if it's been done and if not can they please sort it out .......  it's a simple but very long and otherwise expensive job to undertake. Lexus assured me that mine was sorted at the time, some 22 years ago i guess !

Malc

5 possibles

1. Boot seal leak, take out spare, if looking dull, could have been standing in water, cheap to fix

2. Check seat heaters, more likely to go on Mk1 to Mk3 driver side.

3. ECU problems (after a run - where engine gets warm) where you stall when coming to a halt.  I have found that Rev counter up and down at low revs is a sign you may have problems. (however if throttle body a bit choked up this can cause similar effect)

4. Does aerial work

5. Check all lights on dashboard for radio etc, any of them bulbs gone is a pain of a job to sort out (never got round to sorting out one bulb that went on my Mk3) and check needles on speedo are good.

and

6. Drive over a variety of speed humps and listen for clunks which might indicate possible control arm/suspension issues, though an MOT usually picks up on advisories for this.  My Mk3 had UCA advisories through 2 MOTs.

Thanks all for the pointers. I've made a list!!

Fingers crossed its a good'un

Oh and I've checked the recall info Malc, you can do it online with the reg. No outstanding recalls so should have been done :)

and on mine, many years ago the EGR pipe was replaced but some on here remove it, and in fact on Japanese cars, the EGR pipe never was there. It is totally dispensable I believe.

Malc

17 hours ago, Malc said:

I can't think of anything significant now that you say the cambelt ( and peripherals and waterpump ) has been changed at 127k

He did not say the water pump & peripherals had been changed, just mentioned the cambelt had been changed, I had my belt, water pump & peripherals changed last May.

10 minutes ago, dendonc said:

He did not say the water pump & peripherals had been changed, just mentioned the cambelt had been changed, I had my belt, water pump & peripherals changed last May.

Two schools of thought here. Modern thinking, including Toyota's, is that parts like tensioners and water pumps should be replaced when needed, not at a certain intervals hence they aren't on the service schedule. Plenty of LS400s in the US are running on original water pumps with 150,000+ miles on the clock.

Old school is that water pumps may only last 120k miles, and the cost to replace is the biggest expense so get it done at the same time as the timing belt.

No right or wrong answer here but at least the LS water pump doesn't suddenly fail, you get a long warning either by increased noise or weeping fluid.

• Like 1

OK got that Colin, when my cambelt (+pump & tensioners etc) was done last may the water was leaking, (he said), I think my car had around 174k on it then.

Yes, the biggest expense is all the work done to get at them, I think the last time they were quoted  Grove garage brighton quoted around £570 just for the cambelt change.

So........

Been to see it today. First impressions, it looked good. However, lots of small things which amounted to me walking away unfortunately.

Bonnet struts, heated seats no working, one front indicator loose (broken), boot seal leaking, boot floor cover floppy, no spare wheel and drain plugs missing, slight bubbling on passenger rear arch, bubbling on edge of windscreen on drives side.

Went for a test drive. Drove well, brakes seemed to have a lot of travel on the pedal before they did anything, is that normal? 

I did have a quick look at the service history had a belt done at Lexus 128k no mention of water pump. Flsh up to this point.

I think it's been sitting for a number of years and been put back on the road last year.

I think I'm best of waiting for a better example to come up. If it was a grand then it might be worth the punt but not at £1.5k.

At least I've been and seen one and driven one. 

ok, the heated seats won't ever get fixed and I bet ALL Mk3s front driver's seats don't heat  ...........  the bonnet struts cost peanuts to replace

boot seal is peanuts too

a spare wheel and tyre costs about £50 delivered 

my waterpump is at 203k miles and it's NEVER been changed ( yet )

a fresh MOT will show if the brakes are ok or not !

are you being a little picky maybe !  I'm not insulting you at all, just thinking aloud that a good Mk3 probably doesn't get much better than this with just pennies to spend to get it " right "

Just my thoughts on this 22 year old car.

Don't lose it for the sake of a tiny amount of extra ££££ cost is my suggestion  ......  if everything else is relatively ok

Malc

You don't really want one that doesn't need anything doing to it do you?  you want to get up close and personal and have an input on it's wellbeing? From the faults you highlighted then these seem like 'leisurely' fixes ie not as stressful as a head gasket for example. Did/do you intend actually doing the work yourself or 'Subbing' it out as this could add up ££££'s wise?  Reason I ask is I will do almost all jobs myself even if it means getting (special) tools. I (usually!) have a great feeling of self satisfaction afterwards especially if you intend keeping a car until it rots this helps a great deal.

Did you feel there was any room for manoeuvre on the asking price when you highlighted the faults? As you may have got closer to a grand than you think!

paul m.

just re-read your post and gotta agree that 'bubbling on edge of windscreen' would irk me somewhat, about the only thing I don't take on is paint!.

3 hours ago, Z28DUNC said:

Bonnet struts, heated seats no working,.......................no spare wheel and drain plugs 

My bonnet struts started to go last year (bought in 2011), It's the third LS I've had an none of their heated seats worked, I had no spare wheel so I got one from eBay it was about 12 mile from where I live cost around 50 quid with a good tyre, from eBay, I don't know what drain plugs are. It's 14 year old in Aug, can't think of anything else sensible to say.

Ok don't kill me for not buying it!!!! Haha.

The problems by themselves are not necessarily the end of the world but all together then it puts me off. 

I think it's sat for a number of years and recently returned to the road. No recent paperwork. Last invoices from 2013. The inside smelt damp. Also the fog lights didn't work and one reversing light was out. All small things but the list just grew and grew the longer I spent with the car.

I can afford to be picky, I'm not desperate for another car at the moment so I'd rather walk away and wait for the right car.

He would only budge £50 on the price. Oh and he wouldn't actually put a Mot on it if I paid for it. Sold as seen. 

I have to say though the tick list was used and I appreciate all the input to make it, very helpful.

• Like 1

Fair enough, was under the impression it would get MOTed on purchase but with those lighting faults may be an expensive MOT pass therefore the SAS! 

Plenty more fish and all that!

paul m.

6 hours ago, Z28DUNC said:

Sold as seen

That is a legal term and is applied by the courts in any relevant case

see link

http://bit.ly/2FAcXuD

6 hours ago, Z28DUNC said:

Oh and he wouldn't actually put a Mot on it if I paid for it. Sold as seen

I just rechecked the original add & it says it's MOT'd till April 2018.......personally I would have walked away all taken into account, especially the smell of damp.

Heres the add sellers MOT quote...''PART EXCHANGE CAR TO CLEAR WITH MOT TO APRIL 2018 WITH NO ADVICE''