Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Everyone,

So a little bit unpredicted and spontaneous I've decided to swap my high millage GEN3 SE-L (facelift) to even higher millage GEN4 premier :) In that thread I just wanted to share some thoughts about how both car compare - hopefully it will be helpful for all those GEN3 owner like myself who consider theirs next car.

First of all even if both car looks completely different from outside underneath mechanically they are really similar. Engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension all is very similar. Of course I'm not saying it is the same as there is a improvement in the mpg due to new Atkinson cycle engine + I got feeling that batteries got a little bit more "umpf" :) Nevertheless it is a evolution rather than revolution on that side. 

On the other side whole interior is a complexity new experience. Again I can see a lot of common with the GEN3 but there is a big improvements. I like new seats (same nice leather), I love new screen. I even like the nav system/management which is almost identical to the GEN3 one. Sound system wise there is no such huge difference that you would expect from looking at the number - 3xx watt vs 8xx. It is a bit louder but not twice, audio source options are the same. It is still very nice audio though.What I don't like is those small handles above doors - in GEN3 they got leather cover while in GEN4 it is just soft plastic. At the end of course there is the boot which is way bigger than before which I also like very much due to a pushchair which is traveling there from time to time.

Final question is it worth extra 10-15k ? In my opinion not really, especially if you don't need bigger boot and your GEN3 is running strong. GEN4 are keeping value quite high, while GEN3 are already cheap   hence big price difference making nice GEN3 a good bargain.

At the end just 3 remarks:

- I've noticed that passenger side windscreen nozzle is aiming way lower than driver side one. Is it normal or there is some blockage somewhere ? In the part catalog I've noticed that there are 3   different nozzle with different angles so maybe it should be like even if it is new for me.

- Glove box button is a little bit stiff and not so smooth as in GEN3. Should it be like that or is it just mine and need some cleaning/lubrication ?

- Some time ago there was a discussion about LED headlamp. As mine got that feature I'm happy to reply for any potential question about it. In short I like them and of course they are way better than GEN3 xenons.

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I run a 2008 450h SE-L with all the toys including ACC/PCS and a sunroof. While I’m not looking to change for another few years, the Gen4 GS’ I have seen seem to be lacking these options.

Do you have ACC (adaptive cruise control) on yours?

What MPG are you getting on your Gen4 vs. your Gen3? Is there a significant improvement with the newer car?

Lastly, given your 2010 Gen3 presumably had the ability to stream Bluetooth audio, are there any additional benefits to the Gen4 entertainment system?

Best of luck with your new car and I hope it gives many thousand miles of enjoyment. [emoji846]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Nope I don't have but it would be a nice options to have. Of course it was possible to bought that but it was 3k £ + so not many wen for it. Facelift models got it as standard, so maybe next one will have it :)

GEN3 was in the 35mpg area. Current one so far is closer to low 40 so there is a difference. Hybrid system is also more effective as in engaging more often. In GEN3 it was mostly active while in stationary traffic where here it also working nicely while cruising slowly through a city - I assume better mpg will show up to. For now it looks like there will be 10-15% better fuel economy so quite good.

I haven't found anything new in the entertainment system so far. There is some more customisation options but beside that it is all the same but with updated graphics and more powerful audio output. I've also noticed that DAB antenna gain is lower as same station which was fine now brakes up from time to time.

Thanks, so far I'm enjoying it. When I give it a nice wash and wax I'll share some photos. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hangie said:

So a little bit unpredicted and spontaneous I've decided to swap my high millage GEN3 SE-L (facelift) to even higher millage GEN4 premier :)

Is this one not accidentally the white one from Sheffield Lexus (the only one with LED lights I have ever seen - hence the tread I have created)? I was negotiating it for a week or so but dealer would not budge and I was surprised they were able to sell it so quickly.. considering mileage and etc. 

I wanted to PX it to my IS250 +£9000, they come back with £10000 giving unbelievable £3750 as PX value for my car... Final offer I made was £12000 cash, but then the next day it was gone. Honestly, I was hoping to end-up paying ~£9500 over value of my car... I would have paid £10000 though if it would have had sunroof + ACC/PCS... 

Yeap exactly that one. I was a little bit sceptical but after looking at it, it seems pretty solid. In general I know something more than average about cars and I’m not afraid of high mileage car if correctly looked after. Of course I wouldn’t buy turbo diesel as a high mileage but na petrol I’m not afraid of. 

Major problem is gearbox oil which wasn’t changed at all. I’ll need to check condition of oil - if still good I’ll change if dirty with sludge better not to risk and just leave it.

Have you found anything wrong about it ? I’ve manged to find:

- right corner of front bumper was very slightly hit from bottom and resprayed on the car

- left rear door probably hit sidewalk once as very gently out of alignment on the rear bottom

- when water pump was changed upper hose was taken out wrongly as it got a lot of coolant marking. I’ll just clean it to look nice

beside above it is really nice car. Unless I missed something.

• Like 1

I have not seen it in person as it is was bit far from London to Sheffield, especially during festive period... same as you I was not really afraid of mileage given it was properly maintained. It was clearly genuine motorway mileage (otherwise it would not be possible to do that mileage in 5 years) so I would expect the car to be in pristine condition, less few stone chips in front.

I was little bit cheeky with salesman as the car was not in my favorite colour combo, so I just made cheeky offer and in case he would have agree I was ready to accept the car as is. I am still in disbelief they were ready to give £3750 for my 176k miles IS250... I pressed them on the warranty (as the car no longer eligible for extended warranty due to the mileage) and they were happy to include 1year third party warranty.

Anyway... good luck with it and I will be on lookout for another GS :yes:

Thanks for starting this thread as I will be making the same move sooner or later, as I am sure others will. Please keep us updated with any other differences and similarities that you might  find and don't forget those pictures that you promised us.

" - I've noticed that passenger side windscreen nozzle is aiming way lower than driver side one. Is it normal or there is some blockage somewhere ?

dont know, but thats exactly the same as my GS250...

@Linas.P

"£3750 for my 176k miles IS250" no way it must be some kind of mistake. Maybe they missed the leading 1 from millage :) As for the stone chips it got few in the bumper as expected but windscreen is almost new as it was replaced  (OEM one with Lexus logo).

@Jamesf1

Thanks for sharing that. It is probably then a feature rather than fault

@Mike Hartland

You welcome. What else I've found out is while normally driving in GEN3 to Luton from M25/M3 was 35mpg, now in GEN4 it was 43mpg in a medium traffic.

Another observation is GEN4 doesn't use so much of aluminium - like front fender and bonnet was aluminium in GEN3 while in GEN4 it seem to be old good steel. In general I've noticed that GEN4 got more accountant interventions - money was shifted from technical parts (like aluminium) to the interior closer to the driver.

I've attached some promised photos.

If you take a look at the last one you will notice that I've replaced the remote touch knob with the newer version one :) If yours is a little bit tired like mine or you don't like the look of the older version this is really easy change and cost £12 only for brand new one from Lexus.

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

53780769250__5ACD9164-6100-441E-9026-EEFCFD78DBD3.JPG

• Like 3

I know ... I was surprised as well. 

Though we were negotiating on the basis of difference, so £3750 can be considered the value of my car + their discount on GS450h.

My initial email - "IS250 - VRN..."

Mat from Lexus Sheffield - "Looking at your car I would say between 3000 - 3500 depending on condition."

Me - "I believe the indicative price for my car so far is very fair and I don't really want to negotiate GS450h price either, but to be honest my expectation is to spend around £9000 over value of my car."

Mat - "The best offer I can give you would be £10000 to change over your car, effectively giving you £3750 for the IS."

35MPG doesn't sound that impressive, what was it like in Gen 3 on same journey?

Let me rephrase it. Same route at the same time of day in a similar traffic:

- GEN3 - 35MPG

-GEN4 - 43MPG

Nearly 20% improvement which is a lot.

As for IS you are probably right that it was with the GS discount which sounds better.

White colour is bit polarising - I personally like it, but not everyone does. I still think, Dark Grey + dark rose leather is best suited for GS mk4 (especially F-Sport) and Dark Blue and Black are safe choices. White and Red are little bit risky when it comes to selling.

With colours you never know as it is very personal thing. I like most of them if they are not dull/flat. 

For that reason black one is the only "no" for GS. Rest of them are nice. My only regret is that Azure Blue is not available on a premier grade.

About colours, anyone know why in the UK internal/trim ones are so limited ? I personally like the bamboo one which is very common everywhere else beside UK for 450h. What we get here is linear espresso in premier, some brighter aluminium one in F-Sport, and some cheap black plastic in lower grades.

Looking at colour figures in UK, Black is most popular, White was most popular for last 4 years - now second best. Then 50 shades of Grey and any sort of Red doesn't even hit top 20. I completely agree it is personal thing, but colours like Red, Yellow, Green only sells with very specific cars. 

In terms of personalisations and option I must agree, it is very limited choice especially for premier grade - even if you would build new car on Lexus website, it is like 5 exterior colours and 3 interiour trims.. that is it - 1 single style of alloys, not quite what expect from luxury brand.

My last car an IS 300h F Sport was black metallic and for some reason (unlike a previous obsidian black metallic Mercedes) iI could never keep it looking clean for more than 5 minutes.

The white is so much easier to maintain and the pearlescent paint is so fabulously smooth and glossy.

The Lexus grey would probably be my second choice, but buying used finding the right car is most important to me.

I guess white and black are always going to look dirty shortly after washing, which is why so many go for a neutral grey, as they can go longer between washes.

(I'm not talking about Lexus owners of course - we keep our cars spotless regardless of colour).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links