Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear brake backing plates - sensible price!

And there in lies the issue. The Foot operated parking brake.

That does attach to the backplate. It would appear mine is so poorly corroded, it no longer performs its function.

If foot operated parking brake is applied, it does not release correctly. Leaving the parking brake shoes in the "on" position  = hot disc. Not usually considered a good thing.

I can see one has been replaced, I will replace the other. I make a point of not using the foot operated parking brake, but there are times it would have come in handy.

All things considered, even taking in to account the price of the part, I still feel I have a lot of car for what I paid. The cost will soon diminsh in my mind as it is offset by the peace of mind knowing things are right.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ardent said:

And there in lies the issue. The Foot operated parking brake.

That does attach to the backplate. It would appear mine is so poorly corroded, it no longer performs its function.

If foot operated parking brake is applied, it does not release correctly. Leaving the parking brake shoes in the "on" position  = hot disc. Not usually considered a good thing.

I can see one has been replaced, I will replace the other. I make a point of not using the foot operated parking brake, but there are times it would have come in handy.

All things considered, even taking in to account the price of the part, I still feel I have a lot of car for what I paid. The cost will soon diminsh in my mind as it is offset by the peace of mind knowing things are right.

Had to have my parking brake cable(s?) and shoes replaced this time around...

The backing plate "issue" on the MOT only refers to brakes where the backing plate has a direct effect on the braking, as in the backing plate on a drum brake setup. In that case the backing plate is an integral and essential part of the brake integrity and any defect like rust (or not being there!) can directly affect braking.

In disc brakes the plate behind the disc is shield and has no effect on the braking performance and isn't an MOT fail. If the tester fails it, he's reading the rules wrong.

On hybrid brakes, where the inside of the brake disc also acts like a drum, then usually the drum brake will have a separate (stronger) backing plate, or the backing plate will be the actual suspension upright (because the thin dust shield isn't of sufficient integrity to support a drum brake). On the RX from the pictures in the Haynes manual, there is a separate backing plate which is not part of the dust shield. So the dust shield can be removed and the drum handbrake backing plate will not be affected. Therefore not an MOT failure.

But you may have to argue the toss with the MOT tester if they don't understand. For instance how can the handbrake be working if the backing plate is missing? Having a Haynes manual handy to show them pictures may sway them.. :-)

I've had it on classic cars with disc brakes where the dust shields are no longer available. You can remove them completely and still pass the MOT.

• Like 1

I've just replaced the O/S/R hub on our RX400h. The backing plate was seriously corroded and could not be removed from the old hub without destroying it in the process. I therefore purchased a new backing plate from one of the eBay suppliers which was a genuine Toyota part. The backing plate is one piece, and includes the mounting for the handbrake cable (secured by small bolts through the backing plate in to the cable bracket), and also the handbrake shoes are mounted on and secured to the backing plate. I suppose you could cut away the backing plate apart from the central section where the handbrake cable and shoes are mounted, but I bit the bullet and replaced. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, it's going in to Glasgow Lexus, on Friday 13th.....Wish me luck guys..

Well, in the better weather we had yesteday I removed the back wheel, took a wire brush to all the rusty parts and cleaned out the brakes and the dustguard was not rotten, just a film of surface rust. Whatever I did I managed to fix the issue, may have been the dust guard rubbing the disc, or dirt or gravel trapped, I'll never know. 

What I do know however it is a paifully slow process to raise the car with the supplied jack! If i had the space I would use a trolley jack for sure. 

Hopefully that's my adventures over for another year.  Ed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Try here. Shipping isn't cheap but maybe you know somebody holidaying in the US? Shows how Lexus rips off it's UK customers!

Total cost of rear pair about $250 (£200 as I write) of which $90 is shipping. I owned an RV some years ago and parts from the States were a fraction of the UK cost....and the service was much superior!

https://www.carid.com/dorman/rear-brake-dust-shields-mpn-924-373.html?singleid=118829631&url=83981917

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/oem-lexus-backing_plate.html?Make=Lexus&Model=RX330&Year=2004&Submodel=JPP&Filter=()

Try both, shipping costs can vary.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links