Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering Leak-LS400 1993

I always check my Power Steering fluid level regularly as I know that a leak is a common fault as the cars get older. I checked it last week and the level seemed a bit lower and then checked again today and the level is lower still, so it is definitely losing fluid.

I will speak to my local garage tomorrow to let them have a look at it-but which way is the easyist/most cost effective way to sort it? Is it best to put a new pas pump on ( eBay are listing one for £155) or should I get a pas pump repair kit (couldn't find any of these for sale)  and have the garage repair the pump? Any ideas on the labour involved on doing either of these jobs ?

I'm not sure if the alternator is damaged yet with leaking fluid-is it sensible to let them rebuild the alternator (as a precaution) while sorting the pas pump or wait and hope that it isn't damaged?

I've seen on a few threads where people have used Lucas Power Steering Steering Leak with good results-is that worth a go or just a short term solution?

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give me.

Andy

If the pump is leaking you will be able to smell the atf in addition the area around the base of the pump will be damp and there will be atf on the casing of the alternator.

You may have a leak in the power steering ram which is a more expensive job .

Before doing any spending get the ram and surrounding areas checked as well as the areas I mentioned earlier.

I had a leak on my 93 LS400 which turned out to be the O ring between the body and the reservoir.  It's a common place for them to leak from.  Hopefully that's what it'll be.  A fairly easy job, and cheap!

it is usually just that " O " ring I understand and catch it quick and you will save the alternator ok.

The other issue that I had, and this really is an age related issue with steel corrosion ............was the pas cooler pipe running in front of the radiator length was also badly corroded and that can be replaced with a length of the appropriate copper tube at about £3 ........  BUT also the steel pipework that the cooler pipe attaches too was the actual culprit with my leak and that very complex ( and i guess expensive ) set-up was replaced with appropriate clips and bendy hose lengths ..........  all round a comparatively modest cost if it hadn't been for the necessary Recovery truck to get my car to my indy. for repair.  ..........  about £100 for each ..........  the recovery truck and the repair.

see my prior post, something like              " catastrophic power steering leak "           somewhere on here

Good luck with it whatever :wink3:

Malc

The garage finally looked at my car this morning and have dismantled all around the pump and have said that the only area that is slightly damp( but not a major leak) is around the pressure/vacuum switch that is attached to the pump. They said that the alternator is bone dry with no fluids on it at all. They said that the switch is not available to order seperately and weren't sure if I bought a new pump whether this switch would be included?? Their advice is to leave for now but just keep an eye on it as if it is losing fluid it is only slight and because the alternator is still dry and hopefully not affected by this slight seepage.  I'll leave it for now I think and see how it goes??

Is there any downside to the Lucas additive?

Have read positive reports for a long term fix over a number of years.

It seems the more sceptical the user the better it works. 

I'm using "Stop-it" which I've no idea how old it is as I got an unopened bottle for a £1 at a yard sale. Its Stop leak and Conditioner for Power Steering. A straw coloured liquid.  Having replaced the washer below the reservoir tank )which is a bind to get too, believe me! and it still seemed to leak a small amount I've just topped up with this stuff.   I'm lost very little after the last 1600 mile drive, but I can't say its stopped it altogether so will keep adding.  Whats to lose if the P/Steering unit needs replacing or servicing which is going to be costly.

I used some of the Lucas stuff (maybe a cupful) in my last Merc Gearbox  after the radiator connection to the pipe rusted off, outside the Rad I was relieved to find.  It was the same colour as the ATF fluid.  Didn't notice any problems but always tricky getting the level right.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links