Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

F-Sport Paddle Shifters

45 minutes ago, DanD said:

Any comment on those?

Useful, or just a gimmick?

Only useful for engine braking down a hill, otherwise useless.

Its also slightly counter-intuitive in that if you go down a hill with your foot on the brake, it'll be charging more than if you use the engine braking - for obvious reasons

1 hour ago, DanD said:

Any comment on those?

Useful, or just a gimmick?

If you have the 'gearbox' in S mode  (not the driving S mode, although that can be selected at the same time) the paddles allow complete control over the 'gears'. 

Great for overtaking, powering out of corners etc. Just like driving a manual, without a clutch. As the 'gear' shifts are instantaneous, unlike a normal auto box in manual mode, it's a bit X-box like but great fun :yes:

I find in s-mode If you use the paddle shifts when overtaking I find the overtake is smoother and a tiny bit more responsive and the engine doesn't rev mega high like the engine is gonna blow

I've had paddle shifters in a number of cars, and apart from playing with them a bit at the start I've never used them. Personally I buy an automatic...in order for the gears to change automatically!

:biggrin:

Ditto..

I very rarely used the paddles in my AMG (accidentally hit the downshift once when negotiating a roundabout and nearly crapped myself as I exited sideways 😁)

But in the RC with the eCVT changing gears (or more correctly, ratios) using the paddles is actually quite enjoyable, far more responsive than the relatively slushy automatics in other cars. I don't use them every trip but it's a great option to have

Although autos are as fast as dual clutch now. rcf also locks the torque converter so there is no slush. What that has on long term reliability I'm not sure. I was thinking it might improve mpg if used gently but haven't tested.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

A gimmick on a hybrid Lexus and a waste of time in my opinion. Worthwhile in a car with a normal auto gearbox but useless with a hybrid because when you manually stick it in a 'gear' using the selector or the paddles it still behaves like a hybrid, ie mash the accelerator and the revs still jump up and stay up whilst the drivetrain continually varies the gearing. The only slight upside is it makes the car slightly more responsive when you first plant your foot so I do use it occasionally.

Not in my experience with the RC300h. Watching the rev counter shows the engine revs behaving as one would expect each time the paddles are used. One must have the eCVT in S mode though, otherwise it will continue to operate automatically but restrict the 'gears' to the one selected and below.

On 1/20/2018 at 6:31 PM, NemesisUK said:

Not in my experience with the RC300h. Watching the rev counter shows the engine revs behaving as one would expect each time the paddles are used. One must have the eCVT in S mode though, otherwise it will continue to operate automatically but restrict the 'gears' to the one selected and below.

Different car you are talking about. I was talking about my NX and you're talking about your RC. Both artificial mind. One had the eCVT in S mode too.