Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The front seats on my 1996 LS400 are cracking and don't look too great. I've seen some 'connolising' but it often looks and feels like somebody's spilled a can of emulsion paint all over the seat. I've also seen good re-upholstery but that looks too new unless you do the whole car.

I'd like to buy a pair of seats, or just the covers, or even just the cushion part. It looks to me as if the passenger and drivers cushion covers (but not squabs) are  interchangeable, in which case  passenger covers are likely to be less worn, so two of these would be great.

They are quite a dull beige colour, darker than those on the S2 I used to have, I think, but standard on the S3. Has anyone got any tidy ones?

Oh yes - and a brown steering wheel!

if it's just the seats cracking and not yet torn or ripped then a simple visit to a general upholsterer will see him/her treat the leather with some proper simple feed and they should then be " restored " a little and maybe quite serviceable for another 10 or 20 years 

My nephew who looks after my 1932 classic car and his gun cases and other leather stuff just wiped into my front seats some simple feed and it works wonders

Malc

Many years ago I started the Lexus ownership with a green Mark 3 - I had the same problem - drovers seat was cracked where as the others were fine. I ended up buying a replacement seat froma breakers and swapped mine over.

Don't panic....Use GlipTone Leather food once a week for a few Months..... and it will look and smell almost like new .....but with added character....

will stop any more cracking..... and your leather will last for many years.....it is simply hungry.:wink3:

Re apply every few months after that...... and enjoy supple and GREAT smelling leather....it's great stuff.

gliptone.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 9:03 PM, JohnDavis said:

I'd like to buy a pair of seats, or just the covers, or even just the cushion part.

This is the link to todays eBay LS400's for breaking, maybe something for your car, if not try eBay every day as these things change all the time, click link,

http://bit.ly/2DUvQYB

1 hour ago, moriwaki said:

Don't panic....Use GlipTone Leather food once a week for a few Months..... and it will look and smell almost like new .....but with added character....

will stop any more cracking..... and your leather will last for many years.....it is simply hungry.:wink3:

Re apply every few months after that...... and enjoy supple and GREAT smelling leather....it's great stuff.

gliptone.jpg

Can you get this in places like Halfords?

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:07 PM, moriwaki said:

gliptone.jpg

I agree. This stuff is brilliant. Works well, and smells wonderful.

I did a little experiment recently having similar Beige seats the drivers side having Crackiere.  I tried it on a seperate piece of similar leather to see if the idea was any good. Not yet tried it on the car I hasten to add.  I used 50/50 PVA / Water diluted, and an artists brush to the cracks to firm up the backing. Wiping off any surplus.  It left no trace of white colour and seemed to leave  a good surface for possible colour addition with flexible paint. I did it primarily to stop the crackiere getting worse.

Thanks everyone - I have used the Gliptone and it is excellent, very nice leathery smell, left the seats feeling nice and smooth and flexible.

Some of the cracks are too deep to hide, still, but I will try some of the filling products - nothing to lose really, as I'll have them redone if they don't come out well.