Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2005 LS430 front suspension woes

Hi

I changed the front discs and brake pads yesterday.

I didn't quite finish as I ran out of daylight, I left the car on a jack on the passenger side.

Today once it had stopped raining I finished the work and lower the car, it went right down to the ground and I couldn't get the jack out.

The top of the tyre was buried in the wheel arch. Also on the drivers side.

I started the car, the compressor came on and the drivers side pumped up to normal height but the passenger side did not raise at all.

I jacked the passenger side to normal height to see if it would help. I ran the engine but the suspension just isn't there, when I lower the jack the car

just goes down to the ground on the front passenger side. 

The car has been fine for the 30,000 miles I have done in it

Any ideas please? 

Scott

Hi

Well I just tried it again, the compressor came on for quite a while  and the passenger side is now at the correct height.

Maybe the compressor has thermal protection and it needed to cool down for a while.

Happy!!

Scott

From what you describe I would be looking at the height sensor.  You can remove them and unscrew the casing to clean and reseal.  It's the water ingress that causes most problems with the sensors.

You could well be right with the pump motor only running for a certain time to protect it from overheating, the earlier air suspension models had a switch in the boot so you could switch the suspension off before raising the car on jacks but unsure if this is still the case with later models.

Good to hear it has now sorted itself out.

Hi

So I read the owners handbook and it says to leave the ignition in the off position with the car jacked up.

Once I had bled the brakes I ran the engine and pumped the brake pedal to make sure that with the servo in play the pedal was firm.

The car was jacked up in the air with the engine running so I guess that the height sensors would think the front of the car was too high and deflated the front struts

to compensate.

Scott

Scott,

This is EXACTLY what happened to my 2002 LS430 at an oil change. Up in the air, change oil and filter, start engine to check for leaks, lower car, it goes to 3 inches above the ground.

Panic, start engine, nothing. Start engine and slowly drive car. Computer says we are now moving so I need to pump up the suspension. All goes back to normal. Big relief.

Next oil change the same except, lower car, start engine, no leaks. Raise car, fit undercover pan. Lower car, all normal.

It seems with the weight off the car, and the engine started,  it does not see the need to 'pump up', so 'goes lazy'.

Hell of a scare , but once known about, it can be avoided. NEVER start this car 'up in the air'.