Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The back lights on my climate control LCD screen have gone out, there 7 of them, 4 green lights and 3 blue/green lights  (that's what it says in the Lexus Tutorials)  does anyone know where I can buy them from.  Cheers Norman.

Hello Dan: I don't know about the fuse, I did get onto Steve and he said it could be--dry joints in the radio unit that remove power to the lighting, the only thing is, I don't know what dry joints  mean

Have you any idea what it means.

24 minutes ago, SHELLDRAKE said:

Hello Dan: I don't know about the fuse, I did get onto Steve and he said it could be--dry joints in the radio unit that remove power to the lighting, the only thing is, I don't know what dry joints  mean

Have you any idea what it means.

As always, Google (and Wikipedia) are your friends :biggrin:  From Wikipedia:

A "dry joint" occurs when the cooling solder is moved, and often occurs because the joint moves when the soldering iron is removed from the joint. An improperly selected or applied flux can cause joint failure. If not properly cleaned, a flux may corrode the joint and cause eventual joint failure.

drysolder.jpg.45621655d0a9583fdb00947c8c12bc08.jpg

59 minutes ago, SHELLDRAKE said:

O.K. John: but I haven't moved any thing at all.

No Norman, this would have happened during the manufacture of the unit. One aspect of electrical current flow is that it generates heat. Every time that unit is powered up the solder joints will heat up and then cool down when it's switched off. If there's been a manufacturing defect like a dry solder joint, the thing may work for years but, after hundreds or maybe thousands of thermal cycling events, the faulty joint breaks down and the unit ceases to work in one way or another.