Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

when is a new tyre not a new tyre?

I'm still deciding what tyres to put on my LS 400 17" dhp wheels, I need all five as I'm changing to a different size, due to expense and the age (2007) of my existing tyres. As usual I'm doing my research re noise , handling etc ( I probably overdo the research at times )

It occurred to me that I do low mileage (currently on 69000), so the next replacements may be needed due to age rather than mileage. I contacted Blackcircles and asked whether I could specify tyres with a very recent date (DOT number), to ensure that I get the maximum lifespan. Their response explained that they could not guarantee recent tyres, as they obtained tyres from many suppliers. They also explained that tyres sold as new can be up to five years old, by law. It seems to be the luck of the draw, but your new tyres may have been manufactured a month ago, or 59 months ago. Obviously, much depends on handling and storage (exposure to sunlight etc), but I imagine the process of perishing starts immediately. I'd bet this is not common knowledge. it probably is not an issue for people who do greater mileages, but for me, it could be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wonder what annual mileage you do then ?

But whatever, if it's just 4000 miles a year then those tyres. even new ones at 5 years old will have covered their wear life by the end of 10 years of age  i guess :whistling1:

Malc

A new tyre is one that has not been used Harry.

In my opinion however a tyre that was manufactured 5 years ago cannot be treated by a purchaser as new and in all likelihood does not conform to current manfacturing specification of a new tyre

. If you want a new tyre you should specify that it must have been manufactured within the last 12 mnoths and conforms with the current spcification for that tyre. 

Similarly a  "new car" can have been manufactured over 12 months ago,but has sat in a Compound somewhere, but is still sold "as new".So the thing to do is to specify that your new car must have been manufactured within the last 12 months and its spec is identical to the current spec of that model.

Just my view.

• Like 1

I've bought from these people in the past and never had a Tyre date I wasn't satisfied with. 

I have them delivered and then arrange fitting at a local Tyre / Exhaust fitter. I have standard size wheels for the Car.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/

• Like 1

I am astonished 5 year old tyres can be sold as 'new' and I will pay attention to this factor when next buying because I have only recently become aware of age factors affecting tyres.

There are recommendations that 7 years is old enough.

It is not just a matter of safety. For a luxury car quietness can be compromised by  the heat cycles hardening the rubber well before the tread is worn down on low mileage cars. There is a Youtube video of a mechanic demonstrating this with a sound meter in the cabin.

• Like 1

The last time I bought tyres, I bought a set if four identical ones. Fast forward a few years, one of them started to show signs if cracks on the sidewalls, when all the others looked fine.  Closer examination revealed that I had three tyres with the same date code and one older. (I cant remember how much older, but it was somewhere between 6 and 12 months).   

I've been keeping a close eye on this,  and now the cracks are starting look worrying,  but the tyre has not worn out.  I'm tempted to ask for a discount off my next purchase, but not sure whether to ask the supplier or the manufacturer.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links