Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Part exchange prices...the games they play.

Verbout

I took my car to Car People to get a price on part-exchanging my IS 250 . I’d seen a gorgeous Suzuki Swift sport I really took a fancy to.

My car is an 11 plate, it’s done 46,000 miles and fully looked after by me.

The cheeky gits offered me £7300, £150 less than WBAC.com.   :(

I refused a test drive on the Swift, it was snowing and I couldn’t inspect the car fully while it was wet, so I got ready to walk away.

Then the stupid patter started, “I’ll have another word with the sales manager, we can sell Lexus cars all day long, I’ll get you more” 

“I’ve convinced him, he’s offering £7600” 

“Can I get you a coffee, I’ll see if he’ll knock off the admin fee”

No thanks I’ve got somewhere to be....... cheeky gits.

Still love the Suzuki though.   :)

My Mrs had a swift sport 1.6 62 plate. Great fun over short distances but it's very noisy and harsh. I had a 12 plate is250 so driven both lots.

No storage space in swift either. Good value and fun but build quality is poor.

It's been replaced with a civic.

She wanted a vitara but same thing, suzuki salesman tried a 4k overcharge on her.

With Honda they moved quickly to the deal we wanted.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Funny I came to Lexus from a Suzuki Swift Sport 63 plate :yes:

Great fun on a B road and I miss it quite a bit. Wasn't very economical however and 9k mile service intervals (which weren't especially cheap) didn't make it suitable for longer commutes. Interior build quality was cheap feeling (lots of rattles) but nothing ever fell off, unlike my Fiats :laugh:

The key to any car negotiation is to be prepared to walk away. I was seriously interested in a VW Golf but the sales people were awful so I walked along the road to Lexus instead where the attitude was completely different.

I received a phone call from The Car People asking how my interaction went. I told them the first offer was very rude. The young man moved onto the next question very quickly. :lol:

Invited me on a test drive later in the week. I may go at the weekend while the Mrs is away.   :)

I drove over to Lexus stoke before Xmas to view an RC F that i quite took a fancy to.

I was in my 2011 IS250 F-sport at the time with around 30k on the clock.

The car is absolutely mint inside and out with 1 previous owner and full Lexus service history.

I could not believe what I was hearing when they offered me £7000 part exchange. 

12 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

I drove over to Lexus stoke before Xmas to view an RC F that i quite took a fancy to.

I was in my 2011 IS250 F-sport at the time with around 30k on the clock.

The car is absolutely mint inside and out with 1 previous owner and full Lexus service history.

I could not believe what I was hearing when they offered me £7000 part exchange. 

I see this day in and day out in the dealerships. 

Dealerships are there to make money - they have margins that they put on used cars. For vehicles that have a retail price of over £20k they will give a P/X value of £4K less. In Lexus case, that will cover the £500 discount that they give along with adding the warranty and the PDI checks which costs them perhap £500. Overall on a £20k+ car they make about £2.5k-£3k 

For £10k retail, vehicles will usually be flung off to auction unless they have a full service history. They will have expected to list the car at £10995 or £9995 if they were feeling generous

Trade value is always going to be less than private value and its amazing how many people don't realise that  - they always seem to pull out the "but parkers says its worth this much". Well no its not because Parkers are irrelevant, only Glass and HPI (formerly CAP) are the books used in the industry. 

Worth bearing in mind that condition on a p/x car will not add much in value - it just means itll be easier/harder to sell for the dealer and they may give you an extra £250-500 on a car worth that much. They always have wiggle room in the P/X prices as they make a good profit and deliberately give a lower price to begin with.

What like walking away six paces and coming back the offer goes up by another £200!!!

you know that you are swimming with sharks so don't let the smiles fool you!

paul m.

However, no one is forcing anyone to pay over the odds and no one is forcing anyone to accept under the odds. Of course it's all a game. The seller wants as much as possible for their car as does the dealer. Part exchanging is sometimes worth the loss to save the hassle of selling privately. The price we get for ours and the price we pay for theirs is not really relevant. It's the difference that matters.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

It's the difference that matters.

I agree. I went and said I have 25k to change (RCF). We started off 4k apart. 4 hours later and one tired salesman and we shook hands. I'm sure they still ok out of it though.

Once I walked away from a Carolla T-Sport due to price difference and the guy ran out after me and opened my car door trying to deal. Too late mate :laugh:

I once had a Volvo I wanted to sell but had no idea what I wanted to replace it with. As I turned up on the dealer forecourt two salesmen ran across to try and engage me in conversation (obviously both looking at their targets!). The one that got to me first asked me what I was looking for. Told him I wasn't sure. He then asked me how much I had to spend. Told him it depends on what he gives me for the Volvo. He asked me what I wanted so I asked him what he was prepared to give me. He told me it depends what I was after. Told him that depends on what he'll offer me for the Volvo. That way I'd know how much I had to spend. He refused to give me a figure until I'd shown interest in one of his vehicles. This game of cat and mouse went on for quite a while until I relented and said I wanted 20 grand for my Volvo (worth about 4000 at the time). He laughed, I told him impolitely where to go and have never been to that dealer since!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Comedian said:

I agree. I went and said I have 25k to change (RCF). We started off 4k apart. 4 hours later and one tired salesman and we shook hands. I'm sure they still ok out of it though.

Once I walked away from a Carolla T-Sport due to price difference and the guy ran out after me and opened my car door trying to deal. Too late mate :laugh:

4 hours, FFS,

I expect to have had a test drive, get the argie bargie out of the way and left a deposit within an hour. 

I wouldn’t hang about for that long, I’ve walked out of several showrooms when they start fannying about too much.

54 minutes ago, Verbout said:

4 hours, FFS,

"We started off 4k apart. 4 hours later and one tired salesman and we shook hands"

That's a grand an hour. I wouldn't mind that myself!

We didn't quite make it to the 4k they couldn't get to it and it did seem I'd found the bottom price, but things were added moves were made. Included a 1 hour test drive. Basically the attitude was let's see if we can do a deal and it was a good day out. It wasn't that usual tricksy stuff. All cards on table and worked it out. Both parties happy. Still was over 500 an hour saved though and I had fun on the drive. Took the day off work so no pressure.

When you want a blue rcf and only 1 or 2 are ever for sale and I wanted black inside and no sunroof it made it one for sale at that time.

It's not like I could have just walked and popped to the next nearest dealer.

It was car or no car.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk