Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car veers left after Service

SeanIS300h

IS300h 2014

Hi all,

Just got car back from service and immediately noticed that it is veering to the left.

I had it back to garage to check.

Received the car back and it was still veering to the left.

Contacted them again and I was told that the alignment is set as per manufacturers specifications and that the car is exactly how it should be.

Car was perfect prior to service, lovely drive and now I constantly have to correct the steering and can feel the steering wheel wants to rotate anti clockwise.

General service was done, differential oil changed, no reason to take off wheels as brakes were good.

Car passed its NCT(MOT) a week before it got serviced and all was good.

Any help is much appreciated.

My IS250 had a tendency to veer to the left despite having twice had a 4 wheel hunter alignment and being told the wheels are perfectly set up and it's probably down to the camber in the road.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Yes, that is what I'm being told by them. But it is 100% not right after service, car starts to drift slowly and then rapidly veers, dangerously so. Mechanic was in the car with me and said that the veer was normal!!!

Quick update, 

Dealer gave me alignment report:

Left Front: Camber~7°33' Caster~0°02'

Right Front: Camber~7°32' Caster~0°02'

Left Rear: Camber~0°06'

Right Rear: Camber~0°06'

Car is still veering!!!

From what I can see, it doesn't look correct. It seems with those settings the car will pull to the left. Are you having to hold the steering slightly right to go straight?

I would adjust the right rear camber to the right for it to stop pulling to the left.  The the left rear camber to compensate for that shift to the right. For the front I would do the same so it's as square as poss. Does that make sense?

Your before measurements tell me that there was a slight pull and the after that there is more of a pull.

I'm no expert so please don't take what I'm saying as gospel. It's just my understanding. I maybe wrong.

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Arqum:wink3:

yes I do have to hold the steering slightly right to go straight.

The before measurement was done after initial complaint, they adjusted it  to see if it would run straight and when I sent it back again then they realigned it back to manufacturers spec!!!

He said something about not been able to adjust rear cambers!!

Thanks again

Then I would get them to do the front properly. To create a square setup otherwise the rear will pull you left even if the front is spot on.

Drop Tony at Wheelsinmotion an email sending him this pic and see What he advises. But I'm sorry that is not factory spec as it will pull you to the left. 

Doing tracking correctly is a skill and there are too many idiots out there who just follow a book rather than use there mind as translate the readings to real world feedback.

• Thanks 1

On 22/01/2018 at 11:09 PM, SeanIS300h said:

Yes, that is what I'm being told by them. But it is 100% not right after service, car starts to drift slowly and then rapidly veers, dangerously so. Mechanic was in the car with me and said that the veer was normal!!!

You couldn't make it up. Where do they get these people from?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SeanIS300h said:

Great advice, thank you.

Only new member, cannot seem to find member Wheelsinmotion in the search bar?

Tony at Wheels in motion are the best. Wouldnt let anyone else mess with my car.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

You couldn't make it up. Where do they get these people from?

After they said that it was normal and that i should take into account the built in drift to the left and the camber of the road surface, I said..... "Lads are you for real!! Seriously......:wallbash:"

You can prove them wrong by taking another IS300h out with them in the car at the dealership and see if it does it. i doubt it will. Honestly some of the tech's are useless.

• Thanks 1

Had this with wife's civic. Neither Honda or tyre centre could get it right. I took the wheels off and one of the tyres had worn funny. Imagine a tyre cut from a slice of cone instead of cylinder - so bad it wouldn't stand up on its own.

When it's spinning and trying to fall it will pull, like tipping a gyro.

So it may be worth checking tyres as if it wasn't doing it before tracking they may have corrected a large error and pulled the now uneven tyre into a position that causes this.

Not to disagree with anyone else but not all cars have much adjustment on the rear.

This tyre was missed by 2 places after all.

Easy to rule it out which to me makes it worth checking.

Oh. And solved it by putting the dodgy one on the back. Lessened the effect to the point can live with it until 4 new tyres are due. Proved it twice when fitted 4 new winters and the pull went away fully.

Good luck.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much to all,

Got in touch with Tony from wheels in motion...... So helpful...

Tony suggested I do a few tests and after checking the reports etc he reckons that if I switch the front wheels side by side and if the car veers right then the tyres may be an issue, but if the car veers left then it could possibly be a pneumatic issue.

Hope I got that right Tony....:wacko:

• Like 1

Sean, I hate to ask this, but seeing that I am in Dublin too, where did you get the car serviced ? Just so I may be able to avoid a similar thing happening to my 300h. I am thinking of taking it to Lexus Charlestown, off the M50, for new brake shoes, but then I might just do them myself when the weather gets warmer.

Parkman.