Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sport v Luxury v FSport

I have had my RX400h since 2009 and am considering a change even though I still love the car as it coming to 100k miles and a few faults are appearing.

i have seen several NX Sport models for sale secondhand but can't find much detail anywhere on the specification of this model as compared to the Luxury and the FSport. The prices being offered for 67 plate Sport models seem great but the equivalent Luxury and FSport suggest you would only get a 65 or 16 plate so there must be some major spec differences.

Can anyone advise where I can see the spec differences?

finally the car looks fantastic in Sonic White. What is the difference in this colour to the plain white? Does it wear well?

Any help would be much appreciated

The lexus website lists the differences between the models. It's now showing details of the 2018 facelift version so there are some differences to the older model but from what I've seen it's mostly accurate. eg On mine it lists heated rear seats which mine doesn't have. I can't see anything else different.

Sport was the run out special for the pre-facelift NX. It is basically an SE with Tahara upholstery (wonderful and soft) and navigation. It has black wheels/grille/mirrors and looks great IMHO as it misses out on some of the fussy chrome. It also has the softer ride - if you are considering an F-Sport make sure you take a long extended drive as I couldn't live with the hard ride and hard seats personally. I had a courtesy F-Sport for nearly 3 months so speak from experience.

Sport has the usual stuff - heated seats for instance - but misses out on some basics like front fog lights and an auto dimming rear-view mirror. Parking sensors are also an option.

If maximum spec is important you'd be better off with a Luxury or Premier I'd say. You'll get a newer Sport, but don't pay too much...I got nearly £10k off list new! What I would say is most of the 'extra' spec on higher models - although very nice - is mainly window dressing. Decide whether you need it or would prefer a newer car, then buy accordingly.

Mine looks like this...

IMG_0686.JPG

Yes, I have an F-sport but would also second that advice - take it on a good run. Doesn't bother me at all, but it does bother others!

I'd go for Luxury or F-sport over Sport if at all possible. I seem to recall Sport was reasonably specced but it missed a few "luxury basics" like, I believe, auto-tailgate.

10 minutes ago, Ian J. Parsley said:

Yes, I have an F-sport but would also second that advice - take it on a good run. Doesn't bother me at all, but it does bother others!

I'd go for Luxury or F-sport over Sport if at all possible. I seem to recall Sport was reasonably specced but it missed a few "luxury basics" like, I believe, auto-tailgate.

Quite right @Ian J. Parsleyit doesn't have an auto tailgate. Never had a car with one. Never needed one. Would have cost me an extra £7k to have one! Easy choice...but like I said, if maximum toys are more important than age/mileage then a Luxury or Premier is more appropriate. Nothing worse than 'buyers remorse' so think carefully about what you really want @keywest

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Sport was the run out special for the pre-facelift NX. It is basically an SE with Tahara upholstery (wonderful and soft) and navigation. It has black wheels/grille/mirrors and looks great IMHO as it misses out on some of the fussy chrome. It also has the softer ride - if you are considering an F-Sport make sure you take a long extended drive as I couldn't live with the hard ride and hard seats personally. I had a courtesy F-Sport for nearly 3 months so speak from experience.

Sport has the usual stuff - heated seats for instance - but misses out on some basics like front fog lights and an auto dimming rear-view mirror. Parking sensors are also an option.

If maximum spec is important you'd be better off with a Luxury or Premier I'd say. You'll get a newer Sport, but don't pay too much...I got nearly £10k off list new! What I would say is most of the 'extra' spec on higher models - although very nice - is mainly window dressing. Decide whether you need it or would prefer a newer car, then buy accordingly.

Mine looks like this...

IMG_0686.JPG

How did you get £10K off the list price?

Thanks for the very prompt replies so far.

i must admit that the thought of the added features such as the power tailgate sound great but then for the last .20 years I haven't had one and it's not been a problem and I think I've only used front fog lamps about three times and I can't say I felt they made much difference.

I will have to seriously think about what is important. Intrigued by the saving Stevet managed to get!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keywest said:

I have had my RX400h since 2009 and am considering a change even though I still love the car as it coming to 100k miles and a few faults are appearing.

i have seen several NX Sport models for sale secondhand but can't find much detail anywhere on the specification of this model as compared to the Luxury and the FSport. The prices being offered for 67 plate Sport models seem great but the equivalent Luxury and FSport suggest you would only get a 65 or 16 plate so there must be some major spec differences.

Can anyone advise where I can see the spec differences?

finally the car looks fantastic in Sonic White. What is the difference in this colour to the plain white? Does it wear well?

Any help would be much appreciated

Is this of any help to you Clive..................................

Specification_2.pdf

Specifications_1.pdf

Specifications_3.pdf

In terms of the saving, I used CarWow and then went from there with the dealer who offered the lowest price. Very simple, first time I'd used it and I was impressed. I used it as a starting point to negotiate with a dealer who clearly wanted the business. Best initial offer was about £7k off list. On a Honda CRV I was offered even bigger reductions, but fancied a change. 

What I would say is that at that time (mid-September) the arrival of the facelift NX was known and dealers were (I guess) being incentivised to shift pre-facelift cars, especially the Sport. By far the best offers were on Sport models - I wasn't offered close to the same discount on a Luxury although it was still £4-5k from memory. Worth also pointing out that the offer was dependant on me taking the Lexus PCP - the reduction included their deposit contribution - and thus they'll get a chunk of the list price reduction back in interest.

• Thanks 1

when in the market for a new car there are several options of buying . specifying it to your taste and have it build to order is one. Dealer will give a certain discount but not that much. the most profitable i found out is to visit several dealers and look what they have standing in the showroom. There are demoś of course that can be bought but apart from these there are also brandnew cars waiting on someone to buy them. Some of these cars have to go have been there too long and the dealer wants them out of the books. this means big discounts are available. Mind you in most cases these cars are not on the internet so you will have to go out there and do some work but it will pay off in the end. I bought a BMW 118 for my wife with 15% off, my IS300H got 12%.  you will have to be patient as maybe the spec you are looking for is not available yet. 

and of course sell your current vehicle yourself dont trade in.  Ask extra discount as you have nothing to trade in! 

@keywest you may also want to browse the Lexus website second hand section and check the pics for colours and wheels. Models within the range differ in looks: for instance the F-Sport has a mesh grille, specific wheels and full LED front lights with LED fog lamps that also work as cornering lights The Premier has the LED lights, but a different grille and wheels, and different colour options, the Luxury has different lights, and the Sport is a de-chromed version...

Etc.

Re your original post: F-Sport white is flat, whilst sonic white is pearlescent.

On 29/01/2018 at 3:40 PM, DanD said:

@keywest you may also want to browse the Lexus website second hand section and check the pics for colours and wheels. Models within the range differ in looks: for instance the F-Sport has a mesh grille, specific wheels and full LED front lights with LED fog lamps that also work as cornering lights The Premier has the LED lights, but a different grille and wheels, and different colour options, the Luxury has different lights, and the Sport is a de-chromed version...

Etc.

Re your original post: F-Sport white is flat, whilst sonic white is pearlescent.

Not exactly, 

The F-Sport white is referred to as "Glass flake" paint. In a sense, its a metallic colour but without metal bits. It shimmers in the sun and will go slightly blue.

Sonic White is a pearl colour - one of the best colours in the Lexus lineup at the moment. Its an evolution of Arctic Pearl

• Thanks 1

Actually, you have clarified something for me: yesterday the sun shone brightly for the first time since I collected my car, and I noticed that the white paint sparkled - or shimmered! - under the sun... which confused me and made me wonder whether my car might be Sonic White rather than F-White.

9 hours ago, DanD said:

Actually, you have clarified something for me: yesterday the sun shone brightly for the first time since I collected my car, and I noticed that the white paint sparkled - or shimmered! - under the sun... which confused me and made me wonder whether my car might be Sonic White rather than F-White.

Sonic white/Eminent white - has a sort of glow to it

maxresdefault.jpg

119829998-640.jpg

F-Sport white/Ultra white - looks fairly flat and bright white unless the sun comes out when it goes slightly blue.

14-07-04-lexus-rc-f-ultra-white.jpg.page

10531081_10152302735998731_1867716682_n.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:41 PM, First_Lexus said:

Quite right @Ian J. Parsleyit doesn't have an auto tailgate. Never had a car with one. Never needed one. Would have cost me an extra £7k to have one! Easy choice...but like I said, if maximum toys are more important than age/mileage then a Luxury or Premier is more appropriate. Nothing worse than 'buyers remorse' so think carefully about what you really want @keywest

Yes, I could live without it, tbh. 

Just to note it was one of a few. Of course it depends on how important toys are to you (and you may find they are easier to negotiate prices on than the car itself, although that also depends on circumstances).

I like toys. The more toys the better.

Having said this, some toys are more of a gimmick and once you have played with them a while, they start losing their appeal and you can soon get bored with them. The idea of them is great, but their application in the real world is somewhat limited.

Still, I like the auto tailgate... and I would like if even more if 1) it was quicker, 2) it wasn't so noisy (it's almost embarrassing!), 3) it was fully automatic: I appreciate not having to get my hands dirty, but would appreciate it even more if I did not have to fish the keys out of my pocket to unlock it when laden with shopping bags. Why not have a system similar to the Ford Kuga's where you can wave your foot under the bumper to trigger the open/close mechanism.

(I believe that, with the 4RX, you can wave your hand in front of the tailgate badge to open it... but that this is not available in the UK. Why not!?)

The updated NX premium has the ability to open boot by waving foot under bumper. You dont need a key to open boot. If you put your fingers into the boot recess handle you will feel some indentations. The left ones when pressed release the boot and the right one locks it and the car.  Therefore no need to fish keys from pocket.

The updated model has another button besides the close one which when pressed the boot closes and auto locks the car.

I have the 200T F-Sport and I was given a 300 for the day when I had mine services. The difference in power is night and day.  Sure I may have less equipment but the car moves a lot quicker, especially in Sport+ mode. 

On 09/02/2018 at 10:39 AM, DanD said:

I like toys. The more toys the better.

Having said this, some toys are more of a gimmick and once you have played with them a while, they start losing their appeal and you can soon get bored with them. The idea of them is great, but their application in the real world is somewhat limited.

Still, I like the auto tailgate... and I would like if even more if 1) it was quicker, 2) it wasn't so noisy (it's almost embarrassing!), 3) it was fully automatic: I appreciate not having to get my hands dirty, but would appreciate it even more if I did not have to fish the keys out of my pocket to unlock it when laden with shopping bags. Why not have a system similar to the Ford Kuga's where you can wave your foot under the bumper to trigger the open/close mechanism.

(I believe that, with the 4RX, you can wave your hand in front of the tailgate badge to open it... but that this is not available in the UK. Why not!?)

The RX in the UK does have the touchless tailgate - you just put your arm, hand, head whatever near the top part of the badge and it opens

The only thing stopping me from moving to an NX200t is that it has to be an F-Sport and I find that they are noisier and too firm for me. Or at least that's what my ears and backside tell me. So, Luxury or Sport for me but not an F-Sport. Yet to try an F-Sport with AVS though which could change my opinion.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, rayaans said:

The RX in the UK does have the touchless tailgate - you just put your arm, hand, head whatever near the top part of the badge and it opens

Good to know. I could not get it to work in the two RX I have driven (one Luxury, one Premier), so wrongly assumed that these options were not available  on UK models. Maybe they had just been disabled.

28 minutes ago, DanD said:

Good to know. I could not get it to work in the two RX I have driven (one Luxury, one Premier), so wrongly assumed that these options were not available  on UK models. Maybe they had just been disabled.

They have different sensitivities. Lowest and medium dont work very well at all. Its best on the highest setting.

The hand also needs putting on the top 1/4 portion of the badge, not the whole part.