Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As titled and as some for you may know i have been looking at buying a GS430.  I have found two that i am considering traveling to look at.  The first one has been discussed on the forum before.  

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709069040741?model=GS 430&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=LEXUS&sort=distance&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=nr66jn&radius=200&page=1

I have spoken to the dealer today and they have confirmed that the cam belt has not been done and if i wanted it done it would be an extra £400.  They also said the car has already been reduced and there is not much room to for negation.  I prefer the the over all appearance of this this one, but its over 200 miles away and i think its over priced.  

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711281631850?make=LEXUS&radius=200&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=distance&model=GS 430&postcode=nr66jn&page=1

The second one i have been looking at it just over 100 miles away, seems to have good history and the cam belt was done at 82k.  Reg is EX55SKK  and appears to have fairly good MOT history.  With having possibly having the front shock replaced back in 2014, the only bad thing on the history is someone letting the tyre wear very badly.  As i have already said i prefer the looks of the first car over the second, but i think it is the alloys that make it look that bit better and with the second one being £1500 cheaper i could easily replace the standards with a nice new set of alloys.  I think i know which way i going, just wanted another opinion form fellow lexus owners.  

Personally I prefer the standard alloys on the GS. I have the spider alloys on my IS and I think they look great but I'm not so keen on the colour combo they've gone for. They've been refurbed as they would have been silver to start with.

I like the fact that the Derby dealer has been honest enough to highlight most of the flaws in the bodywork which look to be mostly wear and tear, and as you say £1500 is a fair amount to have on hand to address any issues that may need dealing with. 

The first one in Manchester has been for sale for some time. I’ve went to see it when I was looking for a 430. Just not tidy enough for me. Ended up getting a mint newer 300 in end and don’t regret it one bit.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Personally I prefer the standard alloys on the GS. I have the spider alloys on my IS and I think they look great but I'm not so keen on the colour combo they've gone for. They've been refurbed as they would have been silver to start with.

I like the fact that the Derby dealer has been honest enough to highlight most of the flaws in the bodywork which look to be mostly wear and tear, and as you say £1500 is a fair amount to have on hand to address any issues that may need dealing with. 

That is my thinking at the moment, keep the £1500 for any issues and if there is none i can change the wheels then.

6 minutes ago, stevet said:

The first one in Manchester has been for sale for some time. I’ve went to see it when I was looking for a 430. Just not tidy enough for me. Ended up getting a mint newer 300 in end and don’t regret it one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn’t tidy?  The dealer was trying to tell me that it was mint?  I know its been up for sale for some time, was hoping that a possible deal could have been done if was to travel but got, not much room for haggling on the price, what kinda put me off.  But that seems to be the way with most dealers these days.

The whole business of buying a car is so frustrating. I went to see a GS430 a couple of weeks ago after being told it was impeccable, and although it was great looking the first thing I noticed was a tear in the drivers seat which I couldn't live with.  The next one, a GS300 had a damaged door which wasn't mentioned. A morning wasted.  I then went to Bournemouth (85 miles) to see a GS300 which turned out to be great.  It just means being prepared to travel and sometimes be disappointed. Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

You can't rely on a description of the condition of a second hand car from a dealer full stop. They turn over so many cars that when a 'good' condition one comes along compared to the 'fair' and 'poor' that they have had previously then it gets described as 'immaculate' and unless you stand in front of it and rate it yourself it always gonna be subjective, bit like like 'Awesome', American 'Awesome' means 'good' but English 'Awesome' means a whole lot more!

paul m.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Texas said:

You can't rely on a description of the condition of a second hand car from a dealer full stop. They turn over so many cars that when a 'good' condition one comes along compared to the 'fair' and 'poor' that they have had previously then it gets described as 'immaculate' and unless you stand in front of it and rate it yourself it always gonna be subjective, bit like like 'Awesome', American 'Awesome' means 'good' but English 'Awesome' means a whole lot more!

paul m.

To be fair to the dealer I bought mine from he said if the car didn't match the description he gave me on the phone he would refund my fuel cost!  But generally I agree, our expectation of "immaculate" mostly leads to disappointment.

• Like 1

I was interested in the silver 430 back in september and it was up for £6999 then,but after digging deeper and some conversations with the dealer i found that it needed rear shocks,the service was overdue and the cam belt also needed doing.All the tyres had been changed but were budget tyres.

All this was doable and didn't put me off so i offered £6000 for it so i could then get all the other work done properly myself.But they refused saying i Quote"we don't sell cars that need any work doing we will get any work done ourselves".So i obviously let it go and over 5 months later it is still there

IMHO a fair price would be £5000 as it is.

Also meant to say that the second one has also been around for sale for a while and has been reduced by a £1000 over the time.The colour on this one wasn't for me(purple) and the bodywork didn't look up to scratch.

6 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Do you have a link for the one in Derby? I live and work in the area so could possibly go and take a look at it for you when passing.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711281631850

If it not to far out your way and you get the chance it would greatly appreciated.  

The first car states full service history yet it only has seven stamps, for a 55 reg I would have expected  at least twelve stamps otherwise it's hardly a "full" history.

£400 For a cambelt change? Lexus Bristol charged me £375 to replace mine two years ago, ring your local Lexus for an up to date quote.

As mentioned, the other GS has been on the market for quite a while, strangely it's one digit away from mine reg-wise and same colour!

Check front leading edge of bonnet for corrosion and also the inner sides of exhaust back boxes by heat shields for rot, also the v section at rear.

Best of luck with your continued search, the GS430 is a fantastic car.