Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Tyre for IS250 - 2012

Dear all,

Just after a little bit of info. I am after a rear tyre for the IS. She currently has Bridgestone on her which is what Lexus put on her when I purchased her. I only need one for the passenger side as the other still has 4mm of tred left. Just wondering what everyone's opinion was. I am after a quiet tyre and eventually will replace the set once she needs them. 

What's your opinion?

7 minutes ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

Dear all,

Just after a little bit of info. I am after a rear tyre for the IS. She currently has Bridgestone on her which is what Lexus put on her when I purchased her. I only need one for the passenger side as the other still has 4mm of tred left. Just wondering what everyone's opinion was. I am after a quiet tyre and eventually will replace the set once she needs them. 

What's your opinion?

Quite a lot of choice really - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 would be my choice

Handy because they're also available in front size too

Even though the other rear tyre has 4mm remaining I would still consider replacing both at the same time, mismatched tyre types and tread depths on a rear wheel drive car is not something I would like.

Agree with Steve. I would definitely replace them both at the same time.

Buy the best you can afford. I think the Dunlop sports that come with the car take some beating. 

agree as well. different make tyres and thread depths can be pretty dangerous in the wet, i would never take that risk.

all major european A brands will be ok. I changed from the standard bridgestones to Michelins that i found more comfortable, softer and less noise.

i would stay away from all chinese as saving some pounds is not worth the risk in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update, this is on the todo list....

So, i have found that the Falken FK510 are available for just under £120, E rated for fuel, A rated for wet and they seem to be one of the quietest out there at 70dB. 

Are these any good?

The best rated tyre i have seen is this one :

https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/tyres/landsail/ls588/255-40-r18-99w-xl

Fitted pair of Landsail LS588 245/40/18 XL to front of mine this week. These is rated B.B.69dB. I have Three A on the back which was slightly cheaper and not quite so good rating. Both budget tyres and both recommended by others here. Looking forward to 20k+ miles of safe, quiet and economical motoring.

John 

2 hours ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

The best rated tyre i have seen is this one :

https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/tyres/landsail/ls588/255-40-r18-99w-xl

Just spotted the price here. You can do much better than this. Does 250 really have 255 tyres?

John

42 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

Just spotted the price here. You can do much better than this. Does 250 really have 255 tyres?

John

Yes, 255 / 40 / R18

what price have you seen them for?

What I’m struggling with is that if the cheap brand is higher rated and quieter, apart from the ‘brand’ value, what else is there?

10 minutes ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

Yes, 255 / 40 / R18

what price have you seen them for?

What I’m struggling with is that if the cheap brand is higher rated and quieter, apart from the ‘brand’ value, what else is there?

Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM.

John

I have a friend who works for one of the major tyre brands. Don't take too much notice around the ratings they use. Grip test is scored in a straight line for one thing, push a budget in the wet under corner braking and its a completely different story. Also the volume test is measured externally so from a pedestrian point of view not inside the car. My advice, keep away from budgets and go on professional reviews, I grantee budgets won't be near the top. I guess if it comes to budget try and find a half way house if you must. Landsail......you will be sailing across land into a ditch lol

Cheers

Carl

I agree with some of the posts on here. I would never have different tyres on the same axle. I'd also want each tyre to have similar tread depth so I'd be buying two not one. I'd also only have premium tyres. I know they're more expensive but worth every single penny in my opinion. Trouble is motoring is really expensive nowadays and I can understand why people go for cheaper tyres, cheaper servicing, cheaper fuel, etc.

If I was in charge however there would be no such thing as budget tyres. I'll never forget reading a tyre test in Autocar where various sets of budget tyres at the time were subjected to a set of standard OEM Continental tyre tests. I wouldn't go near them myself. I don't have the data to back this up but I suspect that a fairly large number of collisions would be avoided if there was no such thing as budget tyres on our roads.

Dont play with safety is my motto.

doing 70mph they only contact with the road is a relatively narrow piece of rubber.

The difference between A brands and chinese produce can literally be yes or no accident.

work it out in price what is the difference between them, 60 pounds for 2?  70?

You may wonder why I'm so passionate about people not buying cheap tyres. Well hopefully these pics will demonstrate it. This was my friends corolla T Sport Compressor, only 250 made. Was fitted with budget tyres when he purchased it second hand. His intention was to wear them out then fit premiums however he didn't get chance. This was the result of budget tyres unable to grip in heavy rain. He was air lifted to hospital and had major surgery straight away. How he's still here I'll never know. So there you have it people, they really are a load of rubbish when you need the Grip, they should be bloody banned 

Photo0077.jpg

Photo0079.jpg

Compared to A brands braking distances are longer, wet weather performance is worse and overall grip is worse.

of course you can happily drive along for many miles without any nasty surprise but it is about that unexpected moment when you have to hit the brakes, have to twist the wheel and hope you will not smash into that other car, tree, people. When driving in the pooring rain and suddenly getting the feeling your car no longer has contact with the tarmac.

so the question to everyone...

Are these:

https://www.protyre.co.uk/tyres/car-tyres/falken/azenis-fk510/#/car/255/40/18/99/Y/all

worth getting?

These are what someone else recommended in the thread

https://www.protyre.co.uk/tyres/car-tyres/goodyear/eagle-f1-asymmetric-2/#/car/255/40/18/99/Y/all

Or I could stick with Bridgestone

https://www.protyre.co.uk/tyres/car-tyres/bridgestone/potenza-re050a/#/car/255/40/18/99/Y/all

Falken £117

Bridgestone £170

Goodyear £179

Coupled with my big service this month... the Lexus is going to cost me!

Dylan 

Those prices appear very expensive I've just paid £137 for my 18 inch Michelin pilot sport 4s 255 35 18. Have you tried other sites? Black circles were the cheapest for mine as Michelin own black circles 

Cheers 

13 minutes ago, Carl1983 said:

Dylan 

Those prices appear very expensive I've just paid £137 for my 18 inch Michelin pilot sport 4s 255 35 18. Have you tried other sites? Black circles were the cheapest for mine as Michelin own black circles 

Cheers 

Yes, where did you get those from? Do you have a link??

these are the cheapest I have found. 

My view on tyres is that there are three categories:

* Premium/High Performance etc. and often OEM fitted on various cars - I use these on my cars but of course they carry a relatively high price tag but I consider them worth it as part and parcel of owning and enjoying a premium car.

* Mid-range - these are often manufactured by the same companies that make the above but may be using some of the construction and tread patterns from a few years ago - for example Falken Tyres and Dunlop Tyres are both owned by Sumitomo Rubber Industries and Continental own Uniroyal, Semperit, Barum, General Tire, Viking, Gislaved, Mabor, Sportiva etc. and so on for the other big tyre companies. I have used some of these brands in the past on older cars and feel that safety-wise they are well constructed but of course are not going to have the ultimate performance of the premium brands, but horses for courses. A quick Google along the lines of "who owns xxx tyre brand" will usually elicit whether or not the brand is part of one of one of the large tyre companies. I bought my daughter a 10 year old car that had a cheap and nasty tyre on one wheel (I think someone had put it on to sell the car as it was virtually brand new) but the other tyres were Matador tyres (which I found were also part of the Continental Group) so although the cheap one was nearly new the first thing I did was get rid of that and in fact replaced it with a Matador one (to match the others that had nearly full tread). As the Matador ones needed replacing I then fitted Bridgestone tyres in pairs, which weren't really much more than any of the mid-range prices anyway, and at the time I was replacing due to a puncture so needed to do it quickly.

* Very cheap - I wouldn't go near these for any car regardless of make, age or anything else as like many here I do feel that they are compromise in safety (see above).

* Secondhand and remoulds retread and the like (do they exist anymore???) - never, just never!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links