Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 300h stolen using Keyless Entry

I've just got into the habit of doing it. Disable it when walking from the driveway to the front door and then pressing the unlock button as I walk towards the car in the morning. No more or less hassle than putting the key into a metal box or pouch, probably less so really. Would be nice to not have to do this. I imagine it's only a matter of time before manufacturers stop offering comfort access because it's clear to me that no-one should be able to steal a car by standing outside a house scanning the key signal and then replicating it to gain access and drive away. I know that manufacturers think they need an ever increasing amount of tech in their cars but this one is a security risk too far and perhaps a questionable feature. Comfort access? I mean, all it takes is a press of the unlock button to open a car anyway. Have we become so lazy that we have to introduce a clearly security-flawed system just to avoid us having to make one press of the key to unlock a car. I get the arms full of shopping argument but seriously, is this a regular event for everyone? Possibly an answer to a problem that only exists in the minds of techies and marketeers in the car industry who want to flood the cars we drive with tech. I can see insurance companies mandating that this feature is disabled on cars before offering cover if thefts get to a level that bothers the industry. Or mandating that keys must always be stored in an industry approved pouch/tin/box/etc. Food for thought. Then again, having thieves clone your key signal and just driving away is probably preferable to them breaking their way through the front door and violently demanding the keys. Unless of course you keep a big baseball bat or firearm in the hall to use in the ensuing 'discussion'!! :wink3:

13 hours ago, paulrnx said:

IHave we become so lazy that we have to introduce a clearly security-flawed system just to avoid us having to make one press of the key to unlock a car. I get the arms full of shopping argument but seriously, is this a regular event for everyone? 

But you can say the same about a TV remote control, automatic doors in shops, people who use a lift to go up 1-3 floors.

Having now had somekind of 'smart entry' system for our last 3 cars I woudlnt buy one without it. Infact my current car has powered front/back doors which can be opened from the key, every time I get in the Lexus I get confused why the doors don't just open/close automatically and I have to actually have to touch door handles, so much hassel!!!

Don't undetestimate human laziness :).

On 2/19/2018 at 7:11 AM, ganzoom said:

But you can say the same about a TV remote control, automatic doors in shops, people who use a lift to go up 1-3 floors.

Having now had somekind of 'smart entry' system for our last 3 cars I woudlnt buy one without it. Infact my current car has powered front/back doors which can be opened from the key, every time I get in the Lexus I get confused why the doors don't just open/close automatically and I have to actually have to touch door handles, so much hassel!!!

Don't undetestimate human laziness :).

Looks like I did. You lazy so and so!! :wink3: :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

Hi All. I found this post after reading about the dangers of keyless entry on the BBC News website.

I have a 2010 IS250 and unfortunately the powersave mode doesn't work on the keyfob. So, I just went to Halfords to buy their own-brand RFID secure key pouch and tested it there and then in the car park and it was absolutely rubbish!! I was still able to unlock and lock the car from at least 0.5m away from the driver door so I took it straight back for a refund, which they wouldn't give me without demanding personal information and then telling me I won't get the money back for five days.

in the pouch there is a lining and you have to place the keys behind the lining

for the pouch to work, if you place it in front of the lining then it does nothing.

when i bought my pouch (not from halfords) i made the same mistake at first..