Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

One of my tyres has always lost about 1-2 lbs per week, which was just tolerable.

It is now losing 8lbs a day.

Had it removed , new value, rims cleaned and sealed, and balanced. Just the same.

The guy sprayed soapy water on it to try to find a leak but nothing.

I am thinking of going to a place with a water bath to immerse it all. The tyre is about 8-9 years old but was kept in a garage for most of that time so the sun has not played havoc with it. Any ideas/experience of this sort of issue. It has 5-6mm on it and is part of a matched set. If all else fails I'll get a new set, but it is a shame as I reckon there is a year's plus motoring in the set. They are Yokohamas.

Try a bit of tyreweld. A 5 second squirt and then a 10 minute drive. Had a slow leak on the GS, would go down 10 psi over a week. Tried this and worked a treat. Worth a shot for a few quid.

does this Tyreweld stuff and such like make a future tyre puncture non- repairable after it's treatment  ?  

I thought I might have read that somewhere .......... or maybe not :unsure: 

Malc

If the tyre is nine years old it is now in the suspect zone ,tyres have a safe life of around five years and should be replaced after that as recommended by the industry , I know that is going to be seen as self gain by them as is the bed change recco every eight years by Dreams, but you are not safe in your bed driving around on iffy tyres.

I have just replaced the spare on my Mark 4 which was hardly used but I suspect was the original issue ,18 years old and it looked perfect.

• Like 1

UPDATE

Took it to another tyre shop and explained the problem. They sprayed soapy water on the tread, before they would have immersed it in water. Found two small headless nails in it. I suppose that it was blinding obvious but as it has always leaked a tiny tad (over two years) I was fooled. As it was loosing 10 lb a day, it clearly was a new development. £18 to fix it. Hopefully I will run it till Decemberish and then 4 new Goodyears. At present about 5 mm on the matched set.

After 50 years driving, one never stops learning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dendonc said:

The rims might need cleaning

With 2 nails in the tread and the OP already having had the rims cleaned and sealed as stated in the opening post perhaps not the solution on this occasion Denis.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 5:15 PM, Malc said:

does this Tyreweld stuff and such like make a future tyre puncture non- repairable after it's treatment  ?  

No, it does nothing at all to the tyre. The problem is, and always has been, that some tyre fitters don't like cleaning it off, but it does clean off - if they can be bothered.

They were cleaned twice. Checked it today after 24 hrs, spot on has not lost a thing. Thank heavens. Funny how such a thing can dominate your life, like a broken washing machine, or boiler. In the developing world they would laugh at our huge 'problems', such is our luck.

• Like 1

I had this on two of my tyres until I fitted new tyres all round last week. I haven't checked the pressures yet but they don't seem to be visibly going down as they were (touch wood). The tyres I removed were all over ten years old with 5mm plus tread left, but I changed them due to age. After they were removed, the perishing/cracking on the sidewalls were more evident, so I'm glad I invested in new ones