Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just how common is the carbon problem

Gents I’m thinking of buying an IS250 around a 2011 or 2012 reg but this carbon issue with the direct injection is a cause for concern. Just how common is it and does it really warrant an engine strip down or have you been able to clear it without major surgery? 

Also, I’ve read there’s been a few problems with dashboard noises. Well I don’t want that, it’ll get on my wick lol! Is it all years of the IS250 that suffer dashboard noises?

thank you :)

Hello. The carbon issue is much more common in the United States than in the UK. Quite possibly because we have better quality fuel over here.

Hardly any members on this forum have reported a carbon issue but than again the 250 is quite rare here in the UK compared to the United States .

I've never had any dashboard rattles in the 250 but did have a rather annoying rattle in the IS220D. 

The Lexus IS250 is a superb car. If you find one for sale, buy it. You won't be disappointed. 

I did notice it’s more talked about on American forums and suspected that’s down to fuel quality. Mind you I don’t think the petrol washes over the inlet valves with the direct injection engine so perhaps not? Maybe it’s down to the climate of the country the car is in somehow? 

You have both given me confidence in the IS250 here so thank you :)

Ive also only owned two cars, both IS 250 autos. Brilliant all round car. Underrated as well. Solid, well put together and most importantly, super reliable. [emoji1362][emoji1360][emoji1376][emoji1376]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

+1 on getting a 250 auto ( manuals are cheaper to purchase like for like but check out the Car Tax rates,   https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001 )  and if you can hold out for an SE-L model with all the toys you won't regret it ( usual caveats, history,owners,paperwork etc)

Best of luck and there seems to be a lot of nice ones out there at the moment.

paul m.