Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox oil change

On 3/8/2022 at 12:23 PM, agent_dess said:

Does anyone have an instructions or diagram on changing the CVT Fluid for the IS300h??

I've done it on both my gs300h and my sons is300h, both 2014 cars, It's as straight forward as changing any standard gearbox oil, there's a drain plug and a fill plug above it on the right side of the transmission / gearbox. From memory I think it took 2.5 litres to drain & refill, measure the amount drained and expect to refill at least the same amount. (a totally dry gearbox takes about 5lt), get the genuine oil from lexus / toyota .

Something to check while you're changing the fluid is the earth strap from body to gearbox, they seem to rot away 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pops1 said:

I've done it on both my gs300h and my sons is300h, both 2014 cars, It's as straight forward as changing any standard gearbox oil, there's a drain plug and a fill plug above it on the right side of the transmission / gearbox. From memory I think it took 2.5 litres to drain & refill, measure the amount drained and expect to refill at least the same amount. (a totally dry gearbox takes about 5lt), get the genuine oil from lexus / toyota .

Something to check while you're changing the fluid is the earth strap from body to gearbox, they seem to rot away 

I've bought 4 bottles on the assumption of 3.8L required, but I've read from quite a few people that you cannot drain full capacity. 

What do you mean by earth strap?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 11:56 PM, Pops1 said:

Do you have to cycle through gears? or is it simply drain, measure amount drained and then refill with new oil at same amount?

3 hours ago, agent_dess said:

Do you have to cycle through gears? or is it simply drain, measure amount drained and then refill with new oil at same amount?

There are no gears, but you should run the engine for a minute and recheck the level.

93161144_Screenshot2022-04-08at19_23_56.thumb.png.58d86b4894cb94d0d98a55cc363dda98.png

1264202733_Screenshot2022-04-08at19_24_06.thumb.png.becded28a60856e66a03c407d22dd529.png

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 8:14 AM, agent_dess said:

I've bought 4 bottles on the assumption of 3.8L required, but I've read from quite a few people that you cannot drain full capacity. 

What do you mean by earth strap?

Evening Dess 

If you need to ask about an earth strap then it is best that (forgive me if I have got this wrong) you get someone who is skilled enough to change the oil “and” deal with any issues that doing this may crop up.

12 hours ago, VFR said:

Evening Dess 

If you need to ask about an earth strap then it is best that (forgive me if I have got this wrong) you get someone who is skilled enough to change the oil “and” deal with any issues that doing this may crop up.

Not at all I've just never heard of anyone mention earth straps before and especially not underneath next to the gearbox, in my mind the earth strap would something closer to the Battery or engine. But I may just get local indy garage to do the gear oil change as it's apparently a pain to do using jack stands.  Differential oil is easy to do, I did that on the is250 a few years back.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

There are no gears, but you should run the engine for a minute and recheck the level.

93161144_Screenshot2022-04-08at19_23_56.thumb.png.58d86b4894cb94d0d98a55cc363dda98.png

1264202733_Screenshot2022-04-08at19_24_06.thumb.png.becded28a60856e66a03c407d22dd529.png

Thank you so much Colin 🙂

The doc suggest you drain and refill in the same manner as you would the differential oil.  Everyone who has done it said they drained the old oil measured the quantity and poured the same amount of clean oil back in.

10 hours ago, agent_dess said:

Everyone who has done it said they drained the old oil measured the quantity and poured the same amount of clean oil back in.

Measuring what you drain and add the same back works on the principle that the fluid level is correct before you start - that is a reasonable assumption if it still has the factory fluid in it and there are no signs of a leak.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links