iandlm

IS250 Manual - Clutch replacement

I have been told that I need the clutch replacing on my car (no surprise as it has done over 100K miles) as it is slipping a fair bit. I took it to Halfords to do the clutch check (Yes I know, - not the best choice, but it was a free check) and they have said that I will likely need the Fly wheel replacing also. Obviously, from my point of view, that is a serious amount of money.

So before I commit to getting it done (somewhere other than Halfords, of course), can anyone confirm what they are saying?? 

Is the likelyhood being that the flywheel will need replacing or are they "bumping up the bill".

Any advice / guidance is well appreciated and you have my thanks

Hi Ian,

There is no way to know for sure, but it is distinctly possible that the flywheel will need replacing also.

It is one of those things - the cost and time of getting the clutch out means it is usually a good idea to change the lot.  Having said that, it is quite possible that the flywheel will last for some time to come.

How long are you planning to keep the car?

When I had my clutch done at 110,000 miles (albeit on my diesel) the flywheel definitely needed replacing.  The springs were loose and the plate 'wobbled', indicating a worn centre bearing.

After 100k miles, I would assume yours would be pretty worn.  Having said that, have you owned the car long?  I was just wondering whether it has had a clutch replaced previously or not.

If you find a decent garage, you could always get a flywheel, and if it is not required, return it?

Hi Shahpor,

Thanks for the input.

I have had the car since 2009 when it had only 18500 miles on the clock, so I know it well.

Deep down, I suppose I knew the answer as there was no reason for Halfords to make that up. Secretly I was hoping it wasn't though as it is a lot of money.

I think, realistically, that I would like to keep it for as long as I can now as I'd only get peanuts for it now. As far as I can tell, there is nothing to indicate there is anything else wrong with it. I've only ever had to change tyres and lightbulbs o it, so I suppose I am due a big one

I guess a decent garage will be able to tell me "what is what"

My is220d has covered 116,000 miles and recently I had the clutch release bearing changed under extended warranty, the flywheel and clutch plates were inspected and both were in reasonable condition, I elected to have the clutch plates changed which only cost me £350 as Lexus picked up the labour under the extended warranty scheme.

18 hours ago, iandlm said:

Hi Shahpor,

Thanks for the input.

I have had the car since 2009 when it had only 18500 miles on the clock, so I know it well.

Deep down, I suppose I knew the answer as there was no reason for Halfords to make that up. Secretly I was hoping it wasn't though as it is a lot of money.

I think, realistically, that I would like to keep it for as long as I can now as I'd only get peanuts for it now. As far as I can tell, there is nothing to indicate there is anything else wrong with it. I've only ever had to change tyres and lightbulbs o it, so I suppose I am due a big one

I guess a decent garage will be able to tell me "what is what"

Well, it seems you have a good car that has obviously been well looked after, which should not be underestimated.

The problem arises, like you say, because it unfortunately isn't worth much.

In all honesty, I would be tempted to leave the flywheel and plan for the cars replacement should the worst happen.  I haven't looked in a while, but when I was researching mine, the flywheel alone was around £850.  Considering what your car is worth, it is certainly a lot to pay for an item that might be considered preventative maintenance.

By the way, I am assuming you don't have any symptoms of a worn flywheel, such as juddering when moving off?

It is certainly a tough one.  If it were me, I would try and find a friendly garage that would allow me to check the condition of the current one before deciding what to do next.

Ah, Is that what the juddering is!!!

In that case, yes the flywheel does need changing. That has kind of decided it then :-)

Thanks again for the input .Well appreciated :-)