Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel refurbishment + Possible Body respray

After saying on this forum that I was considering changing to a 3RX or NX, I've decided to keep my GS300 (2007 64K miles). It's great mechanically and it's superb to drive. It's a dark blue metallic with the ivory leather interior and just feels so luxurious to drive and as I only do about 4K to 5K miles p.a. I can't really justify spending £25K to £30K just to have a higher seating position (the day might come as we get older, making it easier to get in and out, but at the moment we're fit enough to get down into it!). I'm also not concerned about the mpg or RFL at £520 p.a. especially when considering saving a spend of £25K minimum.

So have decided to have the alloy wheels refurbished as they are badly corroded. I live in the Stockport area (Greater Manchester) and have found the following 3 companies nearby. Has anyone on these forums had any dealings with them? Any recommendations? If not, has anyone had their wheels refurbed and can you advise what to look for in a company so as to get the wheels looking like new

Rimtech Designs, Unit 2 The Gate Centre, Bredbury Park Way, Bredbury Ind. Estate, Stockport, SK6 2SN

Diamond Wheels, Unit 3 Sheffield Street, Heaton Norris, Stockport, SK4 1RU 

Prestige Wheels, Unit 1, 106 Richardson Street, Stockport, SK1 3JL. 

Also, might decide to get the bonnet, front wings and boot lid resprayed depending on cost, looking for recommendations in the Stockport area. From what I've read, I need to find someone who has an oven so that the spraying can be done in the oven area? (Needs a dust-free area and paint to dry under the right conditions?)

Any advice/comments welcome.

Thanks

5 hours ago, JeffL said:

From what I've read, I need to find someone who has an oven so that the spraying can be done in the oven area? (Needs a dust-free area and paint to dry under the right conditions?)

Any advice/comments welcome.

Thanks

Most body shops have heated spray booths these days. The two pack paint products need to be heated to cure properly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisermark said:

Thats very cheap - £140 for all 4 alloys!

Yes, the quality is amazing and service is second to none. They offer different services from bare wheels, removing & refitting tyres, to drop off the car then collect when complete. £140 is for dropping off bare wheels and collecting 3 days later.

I removed and refitted the plastic chrome trims myself, as they're a bit delicate and I wanted to make sure they survived because they're expensive.

The place is on a farm, it looks like a right tip, there's wheels all over the place but the shed where the finished stuff is, is full of amazing work, waiting to be collected.

They did me proud and judging by the other finished stuff I saw, that seems to be the norm.

BTW I don't own the place or have any association with them, other than being a satisfied customer.

How did you release the chrome inserts on your wheels.

I have a gs with these inserts and cannot release the outer part of the strips from the wheel

I have managed to release the centres but most of them are stuck tight

11 minutes ago, bobhick said:

I have a gs with these inserts and cannot release the outer part of the strips from the wheel

They unbolt from the inside of the wheel, 2 bolts per spar.

Here's a sample image showing the mounting points

s-l1000.jpg

27 minutes ago, bobhick said:

I have just removed the chrome spokes from mine last week using lots of WD40. I to had problems with the bolts on the outer part of the wheel but after letting the WD40 penetrate for 24 hours I was able to undo the nuts and then tap all of them out undamaged. I found that if the nut was still being stubborn when trying to undo it, a very slight motion to tighten it resulted in freeing it so it could be undone. Some were still difficult to tap out but more lubrication and heavier 'tapping' worked. Be careful with them as they are £30.00 each from Lexus.

John, great looking wheels. They want £140 + Vat i.e. £168 or £180 + Vat i.e. £216  for 4 wheels if they remove the and refit the tyres which is a very good price but Preston is a bit too far to travel.

Steve, as you have used Prestige previously and they are on my list and the nearest to me, I'll get a quote from them.

Just need to decide what can be done with the bodywork as I've got lots of scratches on the bonnet and boot.

Thanks guys!

as a comparison maybe ................. a local company to me in Kent which i shall be using sometime this year ........  quoted me £250 all-up to acid dip and powder coat finish my 4 wheels and to the colour match of the Lexus ( coloured plastic ? ) inserts/caps ................ that's them removing and re-instating the tyres etc and having the car overnight .......  for a proper job .....  and suggested they would probably last 15 years before needing re-doing.

They said they have been in business doing this stuff for 7 years ( I think ) !

And they had a few quite expensive cars in the workshop having wheels refurbished

Malc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobhick said:

Soak the nuts in penetrating fluid and leave over night. Then use a 1/4 drive socket set to loosen the nuts. They'll loosen with a crack because they're seized, so a little prayer with each nut is in order. You'll then have to tap them with a small hammer because the studs will be seized in the holes.

I opened up the holes a little so they don't seize again in future. 

24 minutes ago, JeffL said:

John, great looking wheels. They want £140 + Vat i.e. £168 or £180 + Vat i.e. £216  for 4 wheels if they remove the and refit the tyres which is a very good price but Preston is a bit too far to travel.

Steve, as you have used Prestige previously and they are on my list and the nearest to me, I'll get a quote from them.

Just need to decide what can be done with the bodywork as I've got lots of scratches on the bonnet and boot.

Thanks guys!

My wheels had no tyres and I paid no VAT. So £140 is the price I paid.

I have managed to get all the nuts off without breaking the chrome inserts using the same WD40 method

The problem is now that the outside of the wheel studs are corroded in the lugs.

The centre ones seem to have a bigger hole and I managed to free them using a mix of WD40, degreaser and thin oil but the outside ones are solid and it does not seem possible to get any release agents into the hole!!!

I am sure they will break if I hit them any harder than I have already 

28 minutes ago, bobhick said:

I have managed to get all the nuts off without breaking the chrome inserts using the same WD40 method

The problem is now that the outside of the wheel studs are corroded in the lugs.

The centre ones seem to have a bigger hole and I managed to free them using a mix of WD40, degreaser and thin oil but the outside ones are solid and it does not seem possible to get any release agents into the hole!!!

I just came to the conclusion, that they had to come out, whether they broke or not. I kept hitting them harder and harder and eventually they moved. I opened up the hole to the same size as the others (before refurb). 

16 hours ago, bobhick said:

A lot of the lugs on the outside of mine were heavily corroded but I just applied more WD40, left to penetrate further, and then hit them out. I used an extension bar from a socket set. Placing the flat end of the bar on top of the lug and hitting the other end with a standard hammer. I found lots of quick light taps followed by a few heavier ones did eventually remove them all with no damaged. If you think about it they are more likely to snap it if you hit them from the side or try to wiggle them out. If you strike down straight and true on the lug you are in effect pushing it out which should be successful. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. I know how I did it but it is not easy to describe. Anyway, good luck with yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume the plastic spokes are purely cosmetic (hope so) so wonder if anyone ever ditched them and cut off the outer mounting lugs and then filled the inners? Would give nice open look but them bumps on outers look like a pain, odd if left on

1 hour ago, Upex said:

I assume the plastic spokes are purely cosmetic (hope so) so wonder if anyone ever ditched them and cut off the outer mounting lugs and then filled the inners? Would give nice open look but them bumps on outers look like a pain, odd if left on

That was going to be my "plan B" should I damage them getting them off. Luckily they came off OK. :) 

• Like 1