Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

misfire on is200 auto p0420 p0302

mista_khan

Hi guys

have been getting misfire with engine light and trc light flashing, having changed spark plugs and also coil packs, makes lights vanish for few days, change coil packs around, error still comes back on same cylinder after a few days?

P0302 CYLINDER NUMBER 2

p0420 which i believe is the cat (but which cat as they have pre cats too dont they?)

symptoms, 

idle gets rough, exhaust has alot of gas coming up

cat makes a rattling noise too on idle

car starts juddering , loss of slight power

engine lights flashing and if i dont remove code for more then few days then p0303 and p0305 which is cylinders 3 and 5 light up too but always p0302 and p0420 come up first.

the car is also on lpg if that helps. i have read that when the cats are damaged or blocked it can cause misfire symptoms but want to know your views.

what do you guys think this is being caused by?

On 2/2/2018 at 8:03 PM, ColinBarber said:

pre-cats have been known to break up and block the exhaust on the IS200. Initially symptoms are that the engine won't rev high.

Random misfire errors are sometimes due to faulty fuel injectors.

Hi colin

after swapping coils over to new ones the codes come back, the p0420 code is pending and the p0302, p0303 and p0305 are back which is making me feel like it could be the injectors as definately it isnt the plugs or coils. although now the car has a stuttering misfire, revs bounce between 500 and 750 every few seconds :( and the misfire gets worse on lpg but the misfire is still present on petrol so it isnt the lpg system.

• 1 month later...
On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, mista_khan said:

Hi guys

have been getting misfire with engine light and trc light flashing, having changed spark plugs and also coil packs, makes lights vanish for few days, change coil packs around, error still comes back on same cylinder after a few days?

P0302 CYLINDER NUMBER 2

p0420 which i believe is the cat (but which cat as they have pre cats too dont they?)

symptoms, 

idle gets rough, exhaust has alot of gas coming up

cat makes a rattling noise too on idle

car starts juddering , loss of slight power

engine lights flashing and if i dont remove code for more then few days then p0303 and p0305 which is cylinders 3 and 5 light up too but always p0302 and p0420 come up first.

the car is also on lpg if that helps. i have read that when the cats are damaged or blocked it can cause misfire symptoms but want to know your views.

what do you guys think this is being caused by?

Hi guys, 

I've been experiencing near identical symptoms except the vehicle isn't throwing any codes... 

I spent a couple weeks going over everything and going through possible causes over a process of elimination with no luck..  Mechanics had the car for a week also with no luck diagnosing it.. but came to the conclusion it was the cat being 80% blocked. I've since done a cat-delete (welded in a piece of pipe) with no luck.

any help appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

Run it in petrol for a week and see if it settles. Check fuel trims prior to code clearing and see if they are near zero. 

Doubt pre cat would coincidentally block on both banks at the same time....? 

Presume LPG  is/was running ok with no fuel trims issues?

On 3/17/2018 at 9:36 AM, ColinBarber said:

Which cats, the pre-cats or main one?

Not sure buddy, just the code coming up as p0420 which on google says something about the cat?

30 minutes ago, chrisgixer said:

Run it in petrol for a week and see if it settles. Check fuel trims prior to code clearing and see if they are near zero. 

Doubt pre cat would coincidentally block on both banks at the same time....? 

Presume LPG  is/was running ok with no fuel trims issues?

the misfire is definately on the petrol too, so what can cause a misfire on petrol that would also cause it on lpg, what is used on both fuel systems ?? i assume the petrol injectors are not in use when on lpg as lpg injectors are used but i could be wrong?

It swaps between fuel system and that includes injectors. Ignition is common to both obviously so... As said, I would turn the lpg off, eliminate it from causing complications and focus on the petrol side. Read fuel trims, clear codes which resets the trims as well and drive on petrol only and see if the codes are raised again. Get that sorted and then introduce the lpg later.

fuel trims can be pulled away from zero by lpg and cause  issues, but... A miss fire code is almost always a miss fire as it’s raised by the ecu on the ignition circuit . Injectors have their own set of codes electrically, and would cause mixture issues that the lambas would see. 

Has the loom and connectors to coil pacs been checked? 

0420 0430 is pre cats bank 1 and 2 respectively.( Bank 1 has cylinder 1  2 3 ) pre cats in the manifolds. It might settle if the miss fire is sorted, but ignore the pre cats and concentrate on the miss fire, it’s not a biggy at this stage imo. 

Ps pre cat efficiency is purely a worn out cat, they get a very hard life. 

15 hours ago, chrisgixer said:

.. A miss fire code is almost always a miss fire as it’s raised by the ecu on the ignition circuit . Injectors have their own set of codes electrically, and would cause mixture issues that the lambas would see. . 

Misfire codes across multiple cylinders are often the result of injector issues. Many people have had this issue, even after swapping out all six coil packs/plugs and confirming the ignition system is correctly operating. An oddity of the IS200 engine.

On 02/04/2018 at 5:14 PM, ColinBarber said:

Misfire codes across multiple cylinders are often the result of injector issues. Many people have had this issue, even after swapping out all six coil packs/plugs and confirming the ignition system is correctly operating. An oddity of the IS200 engine.

And there was banging on about a 3.0 as well.... although ..... wtf didn’t you say so before now 😂😝😂😝😂😝

On 03/04/2018 at 9:47 PM, chrisgixer said:

And there was banging on about a 3.0 as well.... although ..... wtf didn’t you say so before now 😂😝😂😝😂😝

I think the clue is in the title of the thread :tongue:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links