Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possibly a change of car afoot

Made arrangements to go and see a 63-plated RX450h Advance at Lexus Teeside tomorrow and I have to say that if it drives as good as it looks in the photos, there's a very good chance that we'll go for it. Rang my insurance to let them know (Ageas through A-Plan Brokers) and was shocked to be told that if we get it, it'll be an extra £330 to cover it until my renewal at the end of June! Cheapest quote I've got so far to cancel my existing policy and start with a new one tomorrow is Direct Line at £666.40.

I think I paid £420 for my RX300 insurance so I suppose I shouldn't be too shocked as the 300 is now 12 years old and worth less than £5k, whereas the 450h is on sale for a few quid under £25k. What was a surprise though is that other 450hs I've been looking at are Insurance Group 41E, whereas this Advance is Insurance Group 50.

Ah well, it's a joint 60th birthday present to ourselves so who cares  :biggrin:

• Like 1

I found that changing a car mid way through a policy insurers sometimes load you with everything  and not from the original application  so word of advice ask them if you haven't already  also I'm 62 and for fully comp i don't pay more than 250 yr and that's monthly 

Cheers Les, good point. My wife and I both need business cover on it so that bumps it up a bit but then again, we all know that there's no rhyme or reason to how insurance premiums are calculated - just a necessary evil in my book.

30 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

Made arrangements to go and see a 63-plated RX450h Advance at Lexus Teeside tomorrow and I have to say that if it drives as good as it looks in the photos, there's a very good chance that we'll go for it. Rang my insurance to let them know (Ageas through A-Plan Brokers) and was shocked to be told that if we get it, it'll be an extra £330 to cover it until my renewal at the end of June! Cheapest quote I've got so far to cancel my existing policy and start with a new one tomorrow is Direct Line at £666.40.

I think I paid £420 for my RX300 insurance so I suppose I shouldn't be too shocked as the 300 is now 12 years old and worth less than £5k, whereas the 450h is on sale for a few quid under £25k. What was a surprise though is that other 450hs I've been looking at are Insurance Group 41E, whereas this Advance is Insurance Group 50.

Ah well, it's a joint 60th birthday present to ourselves so who cares  :biggrin:

@sorcerer I did exactly that for my 60th on Monday........

IMG_3613.thumb.JPG.5e003072899e615bd45b8c818a8cf21a.JPG

Went again with Adrian Flux £489.00 with an agreed valuation of £40k

Big Rat

• Like 2

Got my RAC quote it was 119 last year  152 this year phone them suggested they need to think again   they did and come back with 117  I never accept  the first offer   it so works   hehe 

Edited by SLACKBLADDER
Insert correct wording

38 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@sorcerer I did exactly that for my 60th on Monday........

IMG_3613.thumb.JPG.5e003072899e615bd45b8c818a8cf21a.JPG

Went again with Adrian Flux £489.00 with an agreed valuation of £40k

Big Rat

Very nice that Ratty  :yes:

I'll give Adrian Flux a go as well as Les's suggestion of the RAC, but I'll be very surprised if I can get it anywhere near yours, let alone the miniscule amount that Les is paying.

• Like 1

@sorcerer The car insurance business just doesn't seem to make any sense at all at times, I know it's oft discussed on here, it's almost like darts at a board ! Thanx for compliment on the car and good luck with yours !

Big Rat

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sorcerer said:

When you are there see if they still have the blue RX450h F-sport in the showroom and have a good look round and sit in .. then come back and tell us yoou are not tempted.

I found out that the main reason they ask as to how long you have had your current car when changing to another, is so that they can stiff you because your new car is "unfamiliar" to you.

For example, I've been driving largish 4x4 SUVs for over 20 years, two years ago I bought a Audi A1 sport and they used this excuse to stiff me.

I sort of understand what they are getting at, but I wasn't jumping out of a RX400 into a supercharged Porche !!!

Besides, I am experienced and wise  enough to know when I'm in a unfamiliar car (ie a car hire on holiday etc) and I know to take it easy and be more careful.

11 hours ago, rayaans said:

Insurance always seems more expensive first year of a new car. Ive been told insurance companies take into account how new the car is to the driver and have stats to show that the chance of claim for a new car is in the first year and then tails off

@rayaans We all know we must have it and they are the ones managing the risk, but there is no rhyme or reason to it at tines, so for the RCF Mrs Rat’s little Fiesta station snortter   and my Transit for contracting/Business a few quid less than £1k for the 3... maybe it’s because I’m old..... 😉

🐀

Just had the renewal in for the wifes car Fiesta 2010 had a premium hike from £190 to £240, this is with Marks & Spencer, rang them up and they reduced it by £35, that annoys me, I said the price they charge should be their best price the first time and not require me to ring them up and have a moan.  Insurance legalised theft.

1 minute ago, Bluesman said:

Just had the renewal in for the wifes car Fiesta 2010 had a premium hike from £190 to £240, this is with Marks & Spencer, rang them up and they reduced it by £35, that annoys me, I said the price they charge should be their best price the first time and not require me to ring them up and have a moan.  Insurance legalised theft.

My wife has a streetka she pays 119 fully comp 

4 hours ago, SLACKBLADDER said:

My wife has a streetka she pays 119 fully comp 

I think the reason my wifes insurance is twice yours is although I am 70 my wife is only 19yrs old. Of course, I am joking who knows why car insurance is such a mystery I don't think even they know.

10 hours ago, flookyk said:

When you are there see if they still have the blue RX450h F-sport in the showroom and have a good look round and sit in .. then come back and tell us yoou are not tempted.

Nah, it wasn't there - but we're extremely chuffed with what we have come away with - see the post below  :yahoo::yahoo:

Well, we've just got back home after a brilliant day out! Bimbled back home on the A-roads, just enjoying the pure luxury and extravagance of our new motor. It's obviously dark outside now and the car is already dirty from the winter salty roads, so for now I may as well just put up the promo shots, but I promise some 'real' photos soon.

xxl_kfz395629_kfz_395629_1.thumb.jpg.b175559e22aaa6ccf2f01fdbc708d967.jpg

xxl_kfz395629_kfz_395629_2.thumb.jpg.d4a895a13721a1d5c048216e9c5d4bc7.jpg

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links