Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heating in automatic mode

Hi all,

I think I may have a problem with the automatic heating mode of the NX air conditioning. Wondered if someone could try theirs. I’ve noticed that with all manual vents open and mode selected to auto, I can turn down the temperature until it shows ‘LO’ and at about 17 degrees, the fan is at high speed and the air is blowing strongly from the centre and side vents. Now I increase the temperature and before the display shows 19 degrees, the front and side vents close. Carry on increasing the temperature setting and most hot air is from the lower vents and a little from the windscreen vent. It is like this all the way up to the ‘HI’ setting and it doesn’t feel like the fan is at the maximum setting. I was expecting at some point for the front vents to open and blow the hot air into the cabin but this isn’t happening. 

If I select the air direction button, it exits the auto mode and then I can get the hot air from the front vents.

Any ideas if this behaviour is normal?

many thanks 

Sounds normal. Hot air rises, so would be pumped in low level to heat from floor up. Unless one selects Demist then directed at screen and side windows.

Cold air more beneficial directed at face level and will sink to cool cabin.

Hi,

thanks for your reply, that makes sense. I just assumed that if you select maximum, it would open up the stops to heat as quickly as possible. The output from the lower vent is not that strong even in the ‘HI’ mode. 

On the Premium system in my 2016 RC there is a separate fan default speed one can set (slow/med/fast) that the Auto mode uses. Mine's set at med, that said the system still ramps it up to fast when demisting but generally it's relatively gentle/quiet.

Many thanks to both of you for confirming that all is working as expected. Just in time for this weeks cold snap, I expect I’ll be using the directional button this week!

That’s true, I’ve had the car for 16 months and only ever had it out of auto mode when defrost/demisting. I only found this behaviour when I was ‘playing’ and thought I’d check it out. 

On 2/5/2018 at 2:45 PM, DanD said:

Quite frankly, the system works best if you leave it in auto mode. Unless you need to defrost/demist the windscreen, I'd leave it be.

I agree. Manufacturers spend a lot of money perfecting their heating and ventilation systems and I'd rather leave mine in auto too. The one thing I do is switch off the efficient ventilation mode in the menu because I find I have to keep changing the temperature too often. I think it's to do with the fact that it warms up or cools down slower by not using so much fan speed in order to save fuel.