Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

HID Xenon Bulb Change

Hello all, I've just bought replacement bulbs for my 2010 RX450 SEi, I wondered about the diminishing light output and have read these bulbs do deteriorate after a few years. Bought Osram Nightbreakers Unlimited from ECP for £80 and was wondering if anyone has ever changed their bulbs on these cars or should i ask a garage to fit them? 

Any pointers would be most gratefully received. I'll be only too happy to give feedback when the job is done. 

Do i need to disconnect the Battery? Access problems etc or just any thoughts in general

Many thanks

Ed

1 hour ago, Silversalmon said:

Hello all, I've just bought replacement bulbs for my 2010 RX450 SEi, I wondered about the diminishing light output and have read these bulbs do deteriorate after a few years. Bought Osram Nightbreakers Unlimited from ECP for £80 and was wondering if anyone has ever changed their bulbs on these cars or should i ask a garage to fit them? 

Any pointers would be most gratefully received. I'll be only too happy to give feedback when the job is done. 

Do i need to disconnect the battery? Access problems etc or just any thoughts in general

Many thanks

Ed

You can do them yourself if you know what youre doing but you will have to remove the plastic covers - plenty of online videos to watch. There should be no access problems after those have been removed

Ideally, just get a local garage or Lexus to do it as you'll be dealing with pretty high voltages

• Like 1

High voltages, yes, I could see that ending badly! Many thanks Rayaan, you've introduced just enough doubt in my mind. Think I'll phone Lexus Glasgow and ask them to do it....

You are truly a star in this community

Ed

PS, applied Sonax BSD, not particularly smooth or pleasant to apply but after  some rain last night I am gobsmacked at the water beading and running off the car, great find.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rayaans said:

Ideally, just get a local garage or Lexus to do it as you'll be dealing with pretty high voltages

I've seen people mention this a few times but surely the high voltage will only be present when the lights are switched on won't it? While you're at the front of the car actually changing the bulbs they'll be switched off and it's only when you're in the cabin or leaning through the window to operate the switch that any voltage will be supplied to the bulbs.

17 hours ago, sorcerer said:

I've seen people mention this a few times but surely the high voltage will only be present when the lights are switched on won't it? While you're at the front of the car actually changing the bulbs they'll be switched off and it's only when you're in the cabin or leaning through the window to operate the switch that any voltage will be supplied to the bulbs.

Yes, don't think its the actual circuit thats on but I read that there's a capacitor along the line usually and they hold their charge for a while.

15 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Yes, don't think its the actual circuit thats on but I read that there's a capacitor along the line usually and they hold their charge for a while.

Ah right, fair enough, didn't know that so cheers (again).

I had mine replaced over the xmas period by my local dealer at a cost of £143 (they provided the bulbs but did not charge for labour) after one of the bulbs failed.

I must say that it did make a huge difference.

3 hours ago, Silversalmon said:

Replaced the bulbs yesterday, quite a stunning improvement, difficult to know if the bulbs are better or if the old ones were just dimming with age. Actually a very easy job. 

Did you do it yourself?

Hi Rayaan, yes, i took the shroud off and there was quite clear access to the bulbs, no different to replacing a halogen bulb, in fact much easier, none of those fiddly spring mechanisms that hold in H7 and H4 bulbs. Nitrile gloves are an essential, don't want to drop those expensive babies.

• Like 1