lexusmoon

IS350 Caliper conversion to IS300h

Been thinking about this for some time as I just dont like the small tiny calipers in the front. Also, for some reason I just can't get used to the sensitivity of the way it brakes...it just doesnt brake gradually to my feel (Just trying to find an excuse to do the conversion).

Anyhow, it does not seem it will be a 1 on 1 conversion considering the bracket mounting points seem to differ. Anyone got any clue?

4 hours ago, lexusmoon said:

Been thinking about this for some time as I just dont like the small tiny calipers in the front. Also, for some reason I just can't get used to the sensitivity of the way it brakes...it just doesnt brake gradually to my feel (Just trying to find an excuse to do the conversion).

Anyhow, it does not seem it will be a 1 on 1 conversion considering the bracket mounting points seem to differ. Anyone got any clue?

It can probably be done but Id bet nobody has done it in the UK

Additionally, it won't change the brake feel as most of the time, its the regen on the IS300H that is braking, not the physical brakes

Tx Rayaan, not sure I understand this part of the sentence since I am not a native english speaker; but when you say "its the regen on the IS300h", I am assuming you mean this is software related, not any mechanical parts than can adjust the sensitivity of the braking, right?

Been checking on the US forum but they do the conversion from a 200T to 350 conversion, but when checking the bracket mounting points, they appear to be a 1:1 match. I am just  trying to figure out if I need to purchase the bracket as well.

The braking 'feel' is different on the IS300H as the gearbox itself is a generator to charge the Battery pack. So when the ECU knows that the car is coasting it will activate a clutch in the gearbox and magnets spin up like a dynamo to produce charge. I am a fan of big brakes as I have fitted Alcon, brembo, Spoon, Endless, Project Mu and AP Racing to cars but however these were 400whp onwards. I personally wouldn't on the IS300H is more of a cruiser/econ model compared the IS350 and IS200T - I would focus the cash for other priorities like saving up to get the thing serviced lol.

35 minutes ago, Andrew888 said:

The braking 'feel' is different on the IS300H as the gearbox itself is a generator to charge the Battery pack. So when the ECU knows that the car is coasting it will activate a clutch in the gearbox and magnets spin up like a dynamo to produce charge. I am a fan of big brakes as I have fitted Alcon, brembo, Spoon, Endless, Project Mu and AP Racing to cars but however these were 400whp onwards. I personally wouldn't on the IS300H is more of a cruiser/econ model compared the IS350 and IS200T - I would focus the cash for other priorities like saving up to get the thing serviced lol.

You got a fair point there. That would likely be the wise choice, but guess I am just not the type to sit still...

10 minutes ago, lexusmoon said:

You got a fair point there. That would likely be the wise choice, but guess I am just not the type to sit still...

To each and their own purely my own opinion. I would use the cash for other bits to enhance the looks personally.

If the IS300h has the same front brakes as an IS250 (and I believe it does), then it's a simple bolt-on upgrade. The only modification needed is that the dust shield/backing plate needs to be trimmed slightly to accommodate the larger caliper. Oh, plus 18" wheels are required to clear everything.

On 04/02/2018 at 3:30 PM, Andrew888 said:

when the ECU knows that the car is coasting it will activate a clutch in the gearbox and magnets spin up like a dynamo to produce charge

I'm guessing that you're talking metaphorically. As far as I understood the mechanics of the IS300h (which admittedly may be not very much) there's no gearbox and no clutch. Please correct me if anyone has better info.

There's no actual gear changing and the drive train is permanently engaged with the drive wheels. (Unlike on most automatics, there's no torque converter.) 

From what I've found out on the internet, the IS300h uses the L210 drive train, which is a rear-wheel-drive version of the P310.

Here's a link to a description of the P310, which I assume is much the same apart from driving the rear wheels through a differential rather than the front wheels.

10 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

As far as I understood the mechanics of the IS300h (which admittedly may be not very much) there's no gearbox and no clutch. Please correct me if anyone has better info.

There's no actual gear changing and the drive train is permanently engaged with the drive wheels. (Unlike on most automatics, there's no torque converter.) 

From what I've found out on the internet, the IS300h uses the L210 drive train, which is a rear-wheel-drive version of the P310.

Here's a link to a description of the P310, which I assume is much the same apart from driving the rear wheels through a differential rather than the front wheels.

Correct