Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS350 Caliper conversion to IS300h

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up a old thread rather than starting new one, has anyone notice the facelift RC300h got bigger calipers than the 300h / 250/200t, I just wonder if there the same as say IS or RC350 ones ? Definetely looks more pleasing and wouldn't say no then again I would need bigger wheels than 17s I got !

7 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Not only bigger calipers (in a rather pleasing yellow/orange colour) but also bigger 2-piece discs 😎 (rears are the same as pre-facelift, just coloured calipers)

I was (still am) toying with idea of a RC300h as next car when I change the IS300h (won't be for while) so I was looking on Autotrader to see what facelift one looks like properly then the painted calipers got my attention ! That saves me a job painting them as I usually paint them when I get a 'new' car ! ha ha

13 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Not only bigger calipers (in a rather pleasing yellow/orange colour) but also bigger 2-piece discs 😎 (rears are the same as pre-facelift, just coloured calipers)

Might this be the same 356mm two-piece rotor and 4-pot setup as on the 4th gen GS450h Premier/F-Sport?

1 hour ago, i-s said:

Might this be the same 356mm two-piece rotor and 4-pot setup as on the 4th gen GS450h Premier/F-Sport?

I don't know what the GS is spec'd with but the 2019 RC300h has 356mm two-piece rotors and opposed four piston calipers - OS12WS

Yes, the facelift RC brakes are the same as the 4th-gen GS F-Sport.

Like the IS250/300h->IS350 conversion featured in this topic, it's a bolt-on upgrade too. 🙂

5 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

Guys,

Please explain two-piece rotors.

John

The friction surface (disc), and the bell part that bolts to the car are 2 seperate pieces. Usually to save weight.

1289064655_photo1.thumb.JPG.185b0b0e8d94e69cf01780d3c6723a2d.JPG

Two-piece rotors (aka floating rotors) reduce unsprung weight and improve cooling. this allows the friction surface to be made from different materials (steel, or carbon fibre composite or ceramic)

The friction surface is separate from the mounting bell, held by bolts, spring clips etc.. The bell is normally from aluminium.

Worth noting, in the RC's case the two-piece rotors cannot be separated and cannot be used with steel rims. 

Thanks guys. That is most instructive. I was confused by the alternative floating rotor term. I assume that term is American and like shock absorbers is just plain wrong.

John