Recommended Posts

@Comedian Yes I agree as regards the calipers colour you'd have thought the 'Sporty' Rcf would have had the colour, I must admit I would quite like mine in Yellow had it done before on the 911 not cheap but a great finish and look good on a dark car with dark wheels.

The residuals yes they tumble away at a fair old rate of knots, I have the original sales invoice of mine from buying it last week it was £66.5K in August 2016 it's lost over £30.5k, all that on a 9000 mile car.

Still big boys games big boys rules, some many other factors come into play when buying these types of vehicles and for me the enjoyment factor is right up there.

🐀

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

@Big Rat It's an interesting point.

This is where I sometimes get confused over 'Lexus Think'

The GSF I see as the sleeper F with 4 doors, more conservative styling etc - then wham, orange calipers with a large F on them. Then the 'shouty look at me' RC get black calipers with Lexus written on them.

Lucky for me I prefer black on my car. Although a blue F logo would have been better.

A quick look on Autotrader reveals a drop from 73k to 38k in £8600 miles or a quite shocking £4 per mile - RC had to be 2 years old and twice the millage to hit those prices from a 10k lower start point.

Certainly better value used buy than an RC as long as the depreciation slows.

Yeh, good points. The orange calipers are a after market thing on the GS-F?

That's frightening depreciation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Comedian said:

@Big Rat It's an interesting point.

This is where I sometimes get confused over 'Lexus Think'

The GSF I see as the sleeper F with 4 doors, more conservative styling etc - then wham, orange calipers with a large F on them. Then the 'shouty look at me' RC get black calipers with Lexus written on them.

Lucky for me I prefer black on my car. Although a blue F logo would have been better.

A quick look on Autotrader reveals a drop from 73k to 38k in £8600 miles or a quite shocking £4 per mile - RC had to be 2 years old and twice the millage to hit those prices from a 10k lower start point.

Certainly better value used buy than an RC as long as the depreciation slows.

That's an interesting point you make Sean, I think the Gsf in blue especially, and white is far from a sleeper, in black I would agree, the carbon accents don't stand out, nor do the wheels, I think the Gsf is the most colour sensitive model in the "F" line up which is good if you want to blend into the background, however(here we go) I cannot be accused of being in that camp!!!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's an interesting point you make Sean, I think the Gsf in blue especially, and white is far from a sleeper, in black I would agree, the carbon accents don't stand out, nor do the wheels, I think the Gsf is the most colour sensitive model in the "F" line up which is good if you want to blend into the background, however(here we go) I cannot be accused of being in that camp!!!
 
I accept that. And they do look more aggressive in real life. Probably a good example is the sonic titanium colour one on autotrader. Would that be in the sleeper category?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Comedian Yes I agree as regards the calipers colour you'd have thought the 'Sporty' Rcf would have had the colour, I must admit I would quite like mine in Yellow had it done before on the 911 not cheap but a great finish and look good on a dark car with dark wheels.

The residuals yes they tumble away at a fair old rate of knots, I have the original sales invoice of mine from buying it last week it was £66.5K in August 2016 it's lost over £30.5k, all that on a 9000 mile car.

Still big boys games big boys rules, some many other factors come into play when buying these types of vehicles and for me the enjoyment factor is right up there.

🐀

 

 

Absolutely spot on, the depreciation is massive from new to who knows where, in a way I don't care, I wanted the car the price was the price and I paid it, and I absolutely love it, I whatever it is worth when I come to change I will deal with at the time, until then I will enjoy my pride and joy..........................

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Comedian said:

I accept that. And they do look more aggressive in real life. Probably a good example is the sonic titanium colour one on autotrader. Would that be in the sleeper category?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
 

Good question, I would like to see on e in the flesh.

The caliper colour is original  @Flytvr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Absolutely spot on, the depreciation is massive from new to who knows where, in a way I don't care, I wanted the car the price was the price and I paid it, and I absolutely love it, I whatever it is worth when I come to change I will deal with at the time, until then I will enjoy my pride and joy..........................
Well said. I try to think like that as sort of know next car will be a downgrade so want to keep as long as possible.

When I see LS with mega miles and ISF in USA going strong the depreciation is spoiling enjoyment. I must change that come spring.

I watched a video other day and an us guy said it's 'only got 90000 miles on it'. :D

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cars are a bad investment 99.9% of the time but most are prepared to take a varying amount of financial loss (this will depend on your personal situation)  for the pure delight of driving, especially an F! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Well said. I try to think like that as sort of know next car will be a downgrade so want to keep as long as possible.

When I see LS with mega miles and ISF in USA going strong the depreciation is spoiling enjoyment. I must change that come spring.

I watched a video other day and an us guy said it's 'only got 90000 miles on it'. :D

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
 

Its a strange outlook in this country, we still base our opinion on a cars mileage as we did in the 70s, your average Ford Cortina or Hillman Avenger was scrap by the time it hit 90,000 miles, that's if it even made it that far, today modern engines will hit 300.000 miles if looked after, big diesels regularly hit 600,000 miles before major maintenance issues.

I have a Honda Civic, it had 126,000 miles on it when I bought it, one owner with full history, I would trust it to go to the moon and back................

As long as the general public shy away from "big mileage cars", it leaves some great bargains for those of us in the know.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Its a strange outlook in this country, we still base our opinion on a cars mileage as we did in the 70s, your average Ford Cortina or Hillman Avenger was scrap by the time it hit 90,000 miles, that's if it even made it that far, today modern engines will hit 300.000 miles if looked after, big diesels regularly hit 600,000 miles before major maintenance issues.

I have a Honda Civic, it had 126,000 miles on it when I bought it, one owner with full history, I would trust it to go to the moon and back................

As long as the general public shy away from "big mileage cars", it leaves some great bargains for those of us in the know.

I have faith in the modern engines but also aware of the perception in this country that over 100,000 miles is frowned upon, and I have always sold my cars before they reach this milestone for an easier sale. Wrong, hopefully we can move away from this stigma. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark G said:

Good question, I would like to see on e in the flesh.

The caliper colour is original  @Flytvr

Wow - I didn't realise that. Your's hasn't got those has it?  The only GS-F I've seen dripping in orange bits was the one that turned up to Kemble and I recall the chap saying he'd spent thousands on orange bits.

I apologise profusely for lack of GS-F knowledge :blush:  I did drive a GS450h F-Sport once however.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Its a strange outlook in this country, we still base our opinion on a cars mileage as we did in the 70s, your average Ford Cortina or Hillman Avenger was scrap by the time it hit 90,000 miles, that's if it even made it that far, today modern engines will hit 300.000 miles if looked after, big diesels regularly hit 600,000 miles before major maintenance issues.

I have a Honda Civic, it had 126,000 miles on it when I bought it, one owner with full history, I would trust it to go to the moon and back................

As long as the general public shy away from "big mileage cars", it leaves some great bargains for those of us in the know.

I wouldn't touch a car over 100k :whistling:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A modern engine run on good oil and changed on time will see 500k easily.

It's the rest that suffers. Electrics, aircon, etc. None of it easy or cheap to fix now.

However I think a lot of that deterioration happen with time as much as miles.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I wouldn't touch a car over 100k :whistling:

@Flytvr Oh really OVLOV Lover :yes:

🐀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Comedian said:

A modern engine run on good oil and changed on time will see 500k easily.

It's the rest that suffers. Electrics, aircon, etc. None of it easy or cheap to fix now.

However I think a lot of that deterioration happen with time as much as miles.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
 

Really interesting you shou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flytvr said:

Really interesting you shou

sorry about that - my phone was flat and the cigarette lighter things don't work in my 200k Volvo anymore :w00t:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Flytvr Oh really OVLOV Lover :yes:

🐀

@Flytvr volva has been on 99,999 for 3 years now.... 

_20180206_191030.thumb.JPG.e154abc787bf7b1df555bf79c58662a5.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, emjay82 said:

@Flytvr volva has been on 99,999 for 3 years now.... 

_20180206_191030.thumb.JPG.e154abc787bf7b1df555bf79c58662a5.JPG

@emjay82 Oh please only in America......

🐀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@Comedian Yes I agree as regards the calipers colour you'd have thought the 'Sporty' Rcf would have had the colour, I must admit I would quite like mine in Yellow had it done before on the 911 not cheap but a great finish and look good on a dark car with dark wheels.

The residuals yes they tumble away at a fair old rate of knots, I have the original sales invoice of mine from buying it last week it was £66.5K in August 2016 it's lost over £30.5k, all that on a 9000 mile car.

Still big boys games big boys rules, some many other factors come into play when buying these types of vehicles and for me the enjoyment factor is right up there.

🐀

 

 

Oh you Brits, you are so lucky without realizing it!!     Some 70k for a brandnew GSF??  Only in the UK.. 

Overhere in The Netherlands the fiscal system is totally based on Co2 and a GSF will set you back a healthy 170k Euro.  Picking one up for 30 is something we can only dream about also because there is just no ( no ) market here, there are no cars for sale secondhand, same with the RCF.

People spending such a big sum on a new car tend to take a recognizable brand like the AMGś ,  M cars or RS es. Its a bit like with watches. some people buy a Rolex - and not another make -  as other people recognize that as an expensive thing. Ever been in a high end Mercedes dealer that also has the AMG dealership? seen what sort of people walk around?  Need i say more?

Lexus seems to be more for people in the know, a niche market for connoiseurs. I think it will stay that way for a long time, also the LC and LS will propably sell in tiny numbers

Enjoy your big thirsty eight cyinder monstercars while it lasts, i will happy Battery along in my IS300H ( for Hybrid) ! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@emjay82 Oh please only in America......

🐀

Is that a GS-F?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Oh you Brits, you are so lucky without realizing it!!     Some 70k for a brandnew GSF??  Only in the UK.. 

Overhere in The Netherlands the fiscal system is totally based on Co2 and a GSF will set you back a healthy 170k Euro.  Picking one up for 30 is something we can only dream about also because there is just no ( no ) market here, there are no cars for sale secondhand, same with the RCF.

People spending such a big sum on a new car tend to take a recognizable brand like the AMGś ,  M cars or RS es. Its a bit like with watches. some people buy a Rolex - and not another make -  as other people recognize that as an expensive thing. Ever been in a high end Mercedes dealer that also has the AMG dealership? seen what sort of people walk around?  Need i say more?

Lexus seems to be more for people in the know, a niche market for connoiseurs. I think it will stay that way for a long time, also the LC and LS will propably sell in tiny numbers

Enjoy your big thirsty eight cyinder monstercars while it lasts, i will happy Battery along in my IS300H ( for Hybrid) ! 

It can't take more than an afternoon to get to the UK from Holland, just import a GSF.

 Think how much it would sell for once your finished with it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree marcus, thing is you need a licence plate and in order to get one you have to pass the tax office that will happily provide you with one after you give them a big bag of money. It is thesame regime as for new cars. And then there is the tiny detail of having a RHD car in a LHD country.

All in all it is of course possible but in the end it will be an expensive excercise.  Maybe immigrating ( before brexit)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now