Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stone chips & Lexus paint

I'm beginning to wonder whether I've bought an 'unlucky car' :ohmy:!

I cleaned the NX for the first time since October yesterday - it's been cleaned, but by Lexus rather than myself as they had it for nearly three months sorting out an issue. In fewer than 2000 miles it already has more stone chips than my Honda CRV had in three years and 30k miles. There are half a dozen small ones on the front bumper, and a couple on the lower rear doors (both sides). Driving home this evening I actually saw a stone coming - which is never a good thing - thrown up by a car coming in the other direction, and it's left a deep chip on the lower front door. Not much the car can do about that, as I said, unless it is 'unlucky...'

I'm using the car in exactly the same conditions as my CRV. I hardly ever use the motorway, instead using b-roads and country lanes. I don't exceed the speed limit, nor do I drive close to cars in front. Is Lexus paint known to be fragile and prone to this sort of thing? I had a 2012 Honda Accord that chipped badly and a VW Tiguan that had terrible paint, but in recent years I've grown used to cars with better resistance - or I've been luckier! Thoughts?

IMG_0036.JPG

That's made me feel better! I suppose it could have been far worse - at least it is low down on the door rather than in the middle. I'll attack it with the touch up kit and a cocktail stick. Hopefully it will look ok when I'm done.

19 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I'm beginning to wonder whether I've bought an 'unlucky car' :ohmy:!

I cleaned the NX for the first time since October yesterday - it's been cleaned, but by Lexus rather than myself as they had it for nearly three months sorting out an issue. In fewer than 2000 miles it already has more stone chips than my Honda CRV had in three years and 30k miles. There are half a dozen small ones on the front bumper, and a couple on the lower rear doors (both sides). Driving home this evening I actually saw a stone coming - which is never a good thing - thrown up by a car coming in the other direction, and it's left a deep chip on the lower front door. Not much the car can do about that, as I said, unless it is 'unlucky...'

I'm using the car in exactly the same conditions as my CRV. I hardly ever use the motorway, instead using b-roads and country lanes. I don't exceed the speed limit, nor do I drive close to cars in front. Is Lexus paint known to be fragile and prone to this sort of thing? I had a 2012 Honda Accord that chipped badly and a VW Tiguan that had terrible paint, but in recent years I've grown used to cars with better resistance - or I've been luckier! Thoughts?

IMG_0036.JPG

Although the NX I've ordered is still about six weeks or so away from delivery, the dealers quoted smart scratch and chip repair insurance allowing up to three claims a year over the three year period. Having seen the above problems it's making me think twice and maybe taking the insurance. I've just managed to get a quote direct from the insurer which is £150 cheaper than buying from Lexus. Has anybody any experience of chip repair insurance ?

Thats tragic - I would assume its more luck than anything else and the type of roads you're going on.

Motorways aren't too bad for stone chips IMO unless going behind trucks. Its almost never an issue on the outer lane - touch wood Ive only got the one on my RX. 

B roads and country lanes are notorious for stones - mainly because of tractors which leave their sediment around and also at this time of year, rock salt. Additionally you tend to have cars coming in the opposite direction which can flick stones to your side of the road. 

The NX is always going to be more susceptible for stone chips compared to a CRV - look at how low the painted panels go in comparison to a CRV with masses of unpainted plastic at the front and sides.

You can always get chip repair insurance but its exactly that - insurance! They only fix chips of a certain size, depth and nature. And then they usually have an excess so its worth looking at the small print before buying it. 

I know of a few owners of different cars who got stone chips and the insurance company said the paint was too expensive so they had to pay extra - for BMW Champagne Quartz. There was another one who said they would only do a maximum of 6 chips in a 1 year period etc etc