Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

JAG XFR views

Was just curious if any F owners have moved to/from a Jag XFR (2010 model) and if you have, what was your experience in owning one.

I ask because i saw one in the flesh and it has really made me consider having one, it looked great. I did consider one before i had my first ISF, but then had my heart set on a F.

So lets hear from the XFR owners pre or post F.

• Sad 1

There was a post only a few weeks ago about this very subject.

The consensus was to avoid them.

Personally I've had poor experience with Jags. Very nice to drive. Very expensive to run and maintain. Mine was in the shop every verse end with endless error messages.

Plus, regardless of your current age, you always look like you borrowed it off your dad! :whistling:

• Like 1

From what my mates tell me, you need a nice emergency fund just in case.

The running cost of an F is a major reason I’ve gone that route. The thought of sleepless nights, big payouts......doesn’t appeal

• Like 1

I know its not the same car but I remember working with a guy who was driving his XKR back from a service when the engine let go locking up going through the bonnet and taking out the gearbox at the same time. He managed to collect some of the oil pouring out of it and won his case that jag had filled it up with the incorrect oil. (must have filled it with Tar if you ask me but that was the story) It didn't help my nervousness on cars built by JLR anyways.

• Like 2

I consdered one before the F.and having done some research I decided against. What concerned me most was hearing about people who had owned one & liked it so much they bought a second to then have nothing but trouble & would never own one again. If the quality control/any issues  do not improve with time the reliability will likely never improve.

Shame because they are a cracking car..

• Like 1

I owned an S Type R for 2 years. I spent 3 times the original purchase price fixing and maintaining it.

Comfy? Yes.

Great to drive? Yes, but not like an M3 or ISF.

Reliable. Absolutely not!

I test it drove two XFR's before buying my ISF last year, one from the dealer that had supplied and maintained my STR. The service manager came out to see me after my test drive and when I asked him if I should buy the XFR he simply said "nothing has changed Mr Graham" .

If you want to get one put the same amount aside to keep it on the road.

Good luck!! :sad:

P.S. isn't that your Dad's car?

• Like 3

Hi all.

Just to put my 2 pennies worth in.

I was a proud owner off 3 jaguars before the Is and loved the first two both X-types i no not a XFR but to me they were brilliant cars servicing was dear parts were not cheap then i brought the XK4.2 lovely looking car admired from everybody BUT the costs after 10 months were crippling it had so many things wrong it was a money pit  i had the alarm sorted twice but still kept going off not good when you do shift work as i do and get home at 10.30pm and lock car and wake all off your neighbours up:wallbash:.

Dash board was a laugh sometimes rev counter worked sometimes it did not alas the list went on and on don't want to boar you with it all:sad:

As i said the XK is not a XFR but shares many items especially electrics including dashboard.:wacko:

If you must buy one make sure you have plenty off money behind you as you will need it.:sad:

This is the reason the XK went and i went to the dark side and brought the IS250 not a ISF but did not want one more refined and comfortable than the Jag and not so noisy pity the navigation is not so good but cannot have it all.:yes:

65mike

• Like 2

I was pondering an F-Type instead of the RC-F. But 6 months of lurking on the owners forums (fora?) suggested it was a risky proposition in terms of reliability

• Like 1

I think im crossing the Jag of my list then. Tbh it didnt even cross my mind when i bought my 2nd ISF. It was only when i saw one around the corner from my house that struck me and it looked really nice.

I have been doing some reading myself and the main things that keep popping up are the E-diff and the tyre sensors along with other minir issues but i guess they all stack up and yes the maintainance is high too on parts etc.

Oh well looks like i wait out for a RCF in the summer...maybe.

For what it’s worth, my uncle has a 2004 XK with 19k from new, he loves it....obviously doesn’t use it much either, just a sunny weekend car, my sister best friend has the XKR......from new, about 50k and it’s been a complete money pit, been told to get rid as it’s a car that once it starts to fail it keeps on failing, I’ve driven the F type R and found it to lift on heavy acceleration, to the point of letting off, I was in twisty lane territory of which I know very well, i don’t feel the need to lift off with the ISF but didn’t have the same confidence in the jag, only thing I really enjoyed was the sound, I definitely wouldn’t be looking at one as a replacement 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Bit late to this but my brother owned an 2010 XFR at the same time as I had my last ISF. Cracking car with brilliant performance but it wasn’t exactly reliable.

He purchased it as an approved used car from a main dealer. The timing chain tension went and destroyed the engine so it had a replacement under warranty. A year or so later it started having more issues which were down to the dealer cocking up the engine replacement. He got rid of it in the end. I got him to the sums to see whag it cost him in depreciation and repairs. Let’s put it this way, that total would have been enough to buy an ISF!

• Like 1