Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

catalyst system

Dave66

Hi I wonder If anybody can give me some help I have just got my management light come on on my lexus is200 1999 model mk1 , when I have had it scanned with a obd code reader its told me the following fault CATALYST SYSTEM EFFICCENCY BELOW THRESHOLD BANK 1, does this mean my cat is no good or would the sensor need replacing .

cheers Dave 

It could be either. However I'd imagine replacing a sensor would be far cheaper than replacing the Cat. 

Try clearing the code and seeing if it returns might be the 1st step.

Thank you for your reply I thought maybe cleaning the sensor or replacing it , it does look like a newest cat on the manifold . I have cleared the code I will see if it comes back .

cheers 

The downstream sensors are quite reliable so potentially it is a cat issue or an air leak (hole) in the exhaust system. If it is a cat then it is likely to be the main one under the vehicle not the pre-cats on the manifold. Get an MOT/emissions check to see if the reading are high - that will confirm if the cat is at fault.

Like to say thanks to all who helped with my problem I cleared the fault with my scanner but after going to work after 12 miles the light came back on ,  so I will jack it up on Saturday and have a look  around the exhaust and run it down to my local mot place and have the cat checked, let you all know how it goes.