Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smart Card Key Cracked

Anyone experienced problems with their smart card key? The credit card sized one. Someone in my family has had one for only 10 months and it's developed a crack through it! Been kept in a wallet and not abused or anything. Just wondering if it's a known design fault or manufacturing issue. Would expect something like that to last for many many years, as a normal key fob would. Doesn't sound like Lexus quality at all!

I know someone who had the same issue and it was due to the fact it used to be in their wallet and the wallet in their back trouser pocket. They used to sit down with their wallet in. This caused their key to crack.

I don’t think things like this should go in the back pocket - wasn’t there a similar issue with iPhones a few years back - I think it was christened “BendGate”! 

49 minutes ago, Toothy said:

Makes sense not to sit on a phone, but not so sure about something purposely credit card sized and designed to go in purses and wallets...

I think this is a case of user error - not manufacturing problem.

If i tried sitting on a biro, I would expect it to snap - same with the key card

Would you put your key fob in the back pocket?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I think this is a case of user error - not manufacturing problem.

If i tried sitting on a biro, I would expect it to snap - same with the key card

Would you put your key fob in the back pocket?

Normal key fob in back pocket? Yeah of course.
Credit card one? Well, before hearing about this, I'd like to think Lexus would have made it flexible to withstand the rigors of daily use. Sounds like they're rigid so I'm not sure now... I mean I've snapped normal plastic cards in my front pocket getting into a car :laugh:.
I don't know if this particular key card has ever been sat on. Arqum says he knows one that has been damaged that way. So its possible. All I know is that it's stored in a wallet. The crack has appeared in the casing. From what I was shown it looks like it's fatigued, not shattered with a one off event.