Hi guys,

This is my first post in this forum, so apologise if this is in the incorrect thread.

I bought a used Lexus IS300h from 2014, as my judgment wasn't that great, I got one without many of the features (executive model).

I was looking into a couple of things, but there is not much to be found, is there a possibility to add some of the safety features which are in the other models?

Also, I was looking at the speedometer of the f sport model, can this be upgraded after the purchase?

Thanks,

Piri

Hi, welcome to LOC.

Whilst anything is possible it would be extremely expensive to add features unless you had a donor car to take the parts and wiring loom from.

The F Sport centre dial can be moved over via a button on the steering wheel, that wheel is only on the F Sport so you would need that in addition to the instrument cluster plus potentially different wiring looms.

• Thanks 1

As Colin said, It would be massively expensive. I am almost certain it would be cheaper to Part-exchange to the car you like.. And it was like that for long time - Lexus cars are not retrofit friendly at all. Thought there was guy on CT forum who had dealer to fit cruise control on CT for quite reasonable price, but hat was very specific case where the only part needed was the stalk on the steering wheel column and the rest was already in the car.

I am surprised that IS mk3 doesn't have cruise control - that was standard on mk2 range.

• Thanks 1

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your quick reply!

So I guess there is no official dealer option for after sale upgrades?

About the safety features, would you know if the actual components, for example the blind spot mirror, is actually in the mirror, and would the computer already have the functionality to support this, or would it need a different firmware or even hardware to work?

I've got some experience with this with other cars, but it's my first Lexus, and I have already noticed its extremely difficult to modify it in any way, as the wiring is very hard to access.

Thanks,

Piri

3 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

As Colin said, It would be massively expensive. I am almost certain it would be cheaper to Part-exchange to the car you like.. And it was like that for long time - Lexus cars are not retrofit friendly at all.

Agreed, I do think that would be the easiest option, only issue is that its on a finance agreement, and it's never that easy to get the money out you put in.

It was my bad to begin with to not look into any possible available features.

Cheers,

Piri

But I tend to believe your finance agreement would limit the thing you can modify on the car as well. 

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

But I tend to believe your finance agreement would limit the thing you can modify on the car as well. 

Sorry, it does have cruise control, it just doesn't have the feature where it slows down automatically when there I something in front of you.

I own the car outright, the finance agreement is basically a loan, but with the car as security. Modifying is okay, as long as I don't depreciate the value more than I owe the bank.

4 minutes ago, Piri1337 said:

So I guess there is no official dealer option for after sale upgrades?

About the safety features, would you know if the actual components, for example the blind spot mirror, is actually in the mirror, and would the computer already have the functionality to support this, or would it need a different firmware or even hardware to work?

I've got some experience with this with other cars, but it's my first Lexus, and I have already noticed its extremely difficult to modify it in any way, as the wiring is very hard to access.

Thanks,

Piri

No after sales upgrades.

Toyota/Lexus hardly ever have dormant features. If a feature isn't included then the sensors aren't in place and a completely different wiring loom is used without the wiring to the sensors. The only exception that I can think of on a Lexus in the last 15 years is the retrofit of cruise control to the CT200h because the wiring is in place and the ECU has the functionality.

With regards to blind spot mirror, you would need:  The glass with the indicator in it. The mirror connectors won't have space for the additional wiring, the wiring loom won't be in place from the mirror to the ECU, the mirror ECUs are different to standard with the extra functionality, the system works with microwave sensors on either side of the vehicle at the rear (behind the side of the rear bumper) so you need those as well and the wiring.

• Thanks 1

Wow, seems like Lexus aren't big fans of aftermarket upgrades.

I guess I am going to take this off the list until I paid of my finance plan and then I can exchange it for another model.

Thank you for your replies, they have been very useful!

I'll see what kind of other modifications are possible, without taking the whole car apart. :)