Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mould under rear lights

floggit

Car is 1 1/2 yrs old .Just cleaned the 200 and noticed theres a small amount of green mould just starting under the  tailgate light assy. Hard to see in pic but its there. Car is regularly cleaned using good practice. Obviously this is a small water trap between the plastics and paint. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs? Any tips to clean or will i need to remove the unit?

20EC74BD-9801-45BD-A6E6-9184933F508D.thumb.jpeg.04397bac0a2ee5ae9be641dad1d8a872.jpeg

99af288362defa9109663ced24353d0b.jpg
If you remove the 2 bolts under these caps (10mm) you can slide the rear light unit out. To refit make sure the light unit slides in under the clip on the side of the body and refit bolts. Simple job.
If I could only say the same about the bumper removal haha.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, floggit said:

Its actually the lens on the tailgate so im guessing theres a similar panel ( cant think from memory) . However its tipping it down so rain stop play lol

Had it on son's Golf seals when I bought it. 

I used APC in a spray with a detailing brush. It took a while but got rid of it. 

If you're having no luck with a detailing brush, use a new toothbrush - not a calcified old one!

5 hours ago, rayaans said:

use a new toothbrush - not a calcified old one!

You mustn't look after your toothbrushes very well.  My old ones are spotless but the bristles have softened.  The softer bristles are gentler on your paintwork but still agitate the gunge successfully. :tongue_smilie:

Well its a job done. The bolts holding the light were surprisingly only hand tight however the bugger refused to slide out . After overtrying i snapped a piece of the black trim off :sad:. Oh well it happens. Looks ok all seated back in. The method i found worked for me was to tape under the lights to protect paint. Then at one edge feed in an old tshirt cloth soaked in some neat citrus prewash. The corners worked out easy but the centre part needed a thin screwdriver to push the cloth in more to make contact. Gently pushing the cloth along cleared the mould. 

Tried small brush and a old toothbrush but the angle wasnt right as the lens angles in at the bottom the bristles have to bend back which they wouldnt do lol.

Well done at least it’s all clean behind.

I struggled putting my O/S light unit back in as it wouldn’t seat behind the clip on the side until I found out the rear bumper I was fitting wasn’t clipped fully in behind the light.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk