Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service Plans

I'm looking to set up a service plan generally it's cheaper plus you don't forget then to service your car?

My nearest is 26 miles away

These are Coventry and Milton Keynes, Swindon is another 10 more miles on top.

I don't which to pick?     So what experiences have any of you had at any of the Lexus centres?

You can ask to buy a national plan and use it at any lexus. It insulates you against price rises but that's about it. Dealer will try and sell you a dealer linked plan usually.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

I thought about a plan but then I got a good price on 2 interim services.  Next year the big one.  May as well start putting funds aside now.

2 interim aren't much good within a full service in-between :wink3:

Other advantages of service plans are that you get a discount on services, payments are interest free and spread out monthly, and they are inflation proof.

On 2/9/2018 at 6:35 PM, as13 said:

I'm looking to set up a service plan generally it's cheaper plus you don't forget then to service your car?

My nearest is 26 miles away

These are Coventry and Milton Keynes, Swindon is another 10 more miles on top.

I don't which to pick?     So what experiences have any of you had at any of the Lexus centres?

Why not Cheltenham? If you're 26 miles away from Coventry and 36 from Swindon you must be closer to Cheltenham surely? I've always had great service from there myself. As servicing is both mileage and time-based, you could still 'forget' to get the car serviced if, for example, you had done more than 10,000 miles within 12 months since last service. The dealership wouldn't know what mileage you had done and they would only remind you at the 12 months point. The car reminds you it needs a service anyway and the warnings get ever stronger the closer you get to the point when it's due. Advantage here is that the car is tracking mileage as well as time. I'm not a big fan of service plans because who knows whether I'd actually keep my car for the duration of the service plan. I'd much rather put some money aside each month in readiness for the next service to be honest. Not sure of the savings though, they can't be that great can they?

11 hours ago, DanD said:

Other advantages of service plans are that you get a discount on services, payments are interest free and spread out monthly, and they are inflation proof.

You normally don't get a discount, just inflation protection.

16 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

You normally don't get a discount, just inflation protection.

Thought that was the case. I imagine that manufacturers and dealerships also love service plans because a lot of cars end up being traded in before the end of the service plans so they end up taking money up front with no future costs to bear. Most cars are traded in and not sold privately when a service plan could be transferred to the new owner.

The previous service plan I had with Honda, I had to ring Honda to cancel the direct debits and they refunded me what I had paid extra since my last service which came in at a very useful £130

I can't understand why people would want to hand over money to a dealership or manufacturer for future servicing. Just put the same money away in the building society every month so you have it come servicing time. I get people buying servicing packages up front when buying a new car because these are often good value deals but I don't really understand buying a service plan and paying for it on a monthly basis when there is no financial benefit other than spreading the cost. They just have your money ahead of time and you have the head-ache of settling if you sell or trade-in. If done through a dealership, what happens if they go bust or get taken over by another chain? Much better to save some money on a monthly basis but hold onto the money in another account.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I can't understand why people would want to hand over money to a dealership or manufacturer for future servicing. Just put the same money away in the building society every month so you have it come servicing time. I get people buying servicing packages up front when buying a new car because these are often good value deals but I don't really understand buying a service plan and paying for it on a monthly basis when there is no financial benefit other than spreading the cost. They just have your money ahead of time and you have the head-ache of settling if you sell or trade-in. If done through a dealership, what happens if they go bust or get taken over by another chain? Much better to save some money on a monthly basis but hold onto the money in another account.

I agree with you, I got one based on avoiding price rises, so the costs are fixed for that 3 years. In a low inflation economy it's less of an issue though and once this one expires I probably won't have another. I gambled on the money saved on price rises would be greater than the money earned on interest in the bank. Although in the scheme of things it's probably less than the petrol to drive to the service.

9 minutes ago, Comedian said:

I agree with you, I got one based on avoiding price rises, so the costs are fixed for that 3 years. In a low inflation economy it's less of an issue though and once this one expires I probably won't have another. I gambled on the money saved on price rises would be greater than the money earned on interest in the bank. Although in the scheme of things it's probably less than the petrol to drive to the service.

Yes Sean, I understand the fixing the costs argument. Motoring gets ever more expensive year on year, no doubt about that.

When I got my 4RX, I negotiated the first two services FOC as part of the deal. When I changed to the LC500, I got a credit for the unused 20K service applied to a new contract for the new car. This seems pretty fair to me.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2018 at 12:36 PM, paulrnx said:

Yes Sean, I understand the fixing the costs argument. Motoring gets ever more expensive year on year, no doubt about that.

Also mot today was free - potentially a £30-£55 saving annually.

..................  rest assured you pay for it somehow !
Malc
Mmmm you could say that about everything - I'm not paying for it twice then ;)

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Are MOTs free with a service plan then?

Mine is an RRG dealer plan. Its not discounted at all but I get:

1) All filters changed (usually they just inspect) 

2) Don't have to pay that ridiculous excess they charge if you get in an accident with their courtesy car

3) Free puncture repairs for the whole family

4) 10% off parts and labour

5) 1 free full valet each year - they have their detailers on site (not valeters btw, proper detailers who basically do a maintenance wash)

6) Inflation proofing.

So yes, no discounts but added benefits as such. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, as13 said:

That's sounds a good service plan,  is a three year plan @rayaans

And another question do you know if that's available at any dealership

You can have it for any amount of years. 

I just chose a 3 year one but I also had the option of 2 years or 4 years.

Different dealer groups will do their own benefits and special offers so it'll vary from dealer to dealer.

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

Mine is an RRG dealer plan. Its not discounted at all but I get:

1) All filters changed (usually they just inspect) 

2) Don't have to pay that ridiculous excess they charge if you get in an accident with their courtesy car

3) Free puncture repairs for the whole family

4) 10% off parts and labour

5) 1 free full valet each year - they have their detailers on site (not valeters btw, proper detailers who basically do a maintenance wash)

6) Inflation proofing.

So yes, no discounts but added benefits as such. 

Interesting. Might give this a whirl. Have to make sure I'm keeping the car first mind. RRG? Is that the dealership group?

Interesting. Might give this a whirl. Have to make sure I'm keeping the car first mind. RRG? Is that the dealership group?

Even if you don’t keep the car to have all the services you will get your money back on unused services.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, stevet said:

Even if you don’t keep the car to have all the services you will get your money back on unused services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Depends how my 300 mile road-trip tomorrow goes. Mostly motorway and dual carriageway which is not the ideal habitat for this car but one that mine has to do. I will check up on the available plans this week though.