Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What first car should i get for my son (preferably a Lexus)

Adam570

Much as I want to say a red 2001 IS300 (!), I have to add another vote for the Yaris. My wife has a 2001 1.3 with a ridiculous 33k on it, and aside form one exhaust, two auxiliary belts and one shock absorber, it has been vice and trouble free. They must be available for peanuts now. 

• Like 2

If it were me and my lad was going for a first motor I'd go for something boring like this.

https://www.hindleandallen.co.uk/used-volkswagen-polo-blackburn-lancashire-1447763         

My first four wheel transport was a 1955 Morris van with sliding doors like the Post Office vans lol, a wonderful old workhorse that got me all over Scotland and most of England and never let me down.

My first car (after passing my test; had quite a few prior!) was a 1979 Mazda B1800 pickup that'd beenot hot-rodded. Foot wide back tyres and a lifted rear end. It actually had a removable roof too - convertible pickup for the win! Got a Capri after that, and still own it 16 years later! It has nearly 300bhp now, so it's changed a little ;)

• 5 months later...

Lexus as first car, like others I think not ?   If you buy an older model privately, maintenance cost could be high.

It of course depends on why you want to buy him a Lexus.   Is it because as you already have one, and your son likes

it, that's what he wants ?   Or is it  (hopefully not) to impress friends and neighbours so you can say.... "look what car my son has".

Although you would lose brownie points on that unless he had bought it himself.  I  have friends who try to engratiate themselves

by the achievements of their children.........Not trying to be rude or cynical, but that's the way of the world, I've seen it so many times.

In the end though, you will make your own choice, irrespective of what advice you are given

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Adam, what car did your son eventually get?

Can I also ask a cheeky question?

How much was the insurance?

We just bought our daughter a car ...

Toyota Aygo.

Ins. £1,200 

😎

Ideally, I would tell the son he has to get his own car - that is the only way he will value it. Less ideally, he at least needs to make up his own mind of what he wants - the guy got the licence maybe he should be man enough to do some research at least about what car he wants.... You cannot live his live for him forever! (just don't take it too seriously 😄 ) 

1 hour ago, PCM said:

We just bought our daughter a car ...

Toyota Aygo.

Ins. £1,200 

😎

Id be very wary of those. They have pretty much no safety systems whatsoever bar the basic ones. 

Ive seen a Ford Fiesta go into a Pug 107 and let me tell you, the Fiesta driver came out on his own legs by opening a door whilst the Pug owner came out on a stretcher after the firefighters had cut him out. 

If it was a SUV instead of a Fiesta, Im pretty sure the 107 owner would be no more. Lethal things those are!

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

It would have cost much more for your son! I am not sure if they are allowed to discriminate on gender now?

If the mother and/or/ the father is added as a named driver it might well reduce the annual premium appreciably.

I think that discrimination still takes place on the basis of age, s*x and gender, but under the umbrella statement of accident statistics !

• Like 2

Just now, royoftherovers said:

If the mother and/or/ the father is added as a named driver it might well reduce the annual premium appreciably.

I think that discrimination still takes place on the basis of age, s*x and gender, but under the umbrella statement of accident statistics !

It takes place even on the basis of names and what car it is - for example the popular cars tend to have higher premiums as do popular names!

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Ideally, I would tell the son he has to get his own car - that is the only way he will value it. Less ideally, he at least needs to make up his own mind of what he wants - the guy got the licence maybe he should be man enough to do some research at least about what car he wants.... You cannot live his live for him forever! (just don't take it too seriously 😄 ) 

Well said young man. It might be advisable for on older person ( parent or friend) to offer some advice  based upon their experience ?

1 minute ago, rayaans said:

It takes place even on the basis of names and what car it is - for example the popular cars tend to have higher premiums as do popular names!

Presumably because again based upon accident and statistical probability.

I believe that one of the main reasons my insurance is low on my GS450h is because of its relatively scarcity amongst UK vehicles.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Agree. Adding me knocked about £100's off.

15 hours ago, rayaans said:

Popular names? Do you mean surnames Rayaans? 

your better off looking for a cheap insurance group 1 cars so you pay as little as possible

for the car and insurance whilst he earns his 30% NCD at the end of the 1st year then buy something else ,

if he did have a bump the car could be scrapped with it being cheap to start with.

when kath learnt to drive i bought her a car whilst on "L"'s this way she would be earning her 1st

years NCD when her car is sitting on the drive at home doing nothing and you can always have the 

annual milage set at 2000 miles with 90% of the time the cars doing nothing.

although i think these maybe out of your price range.

expensive cars.jpg