Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So Whats Your Profession?

Andrew888

Apologies if this topic has been done to death, but curious what forum members do to bring in the 'coin' :)

I 'was' a Product Manager for Vodafone (Newbury) and at the moment looking for a new job.. I'm also a silent partner with my best mate in a small workshop in Essex who specializes in fettling and repairing Hondas.

Mechanical design engineer (SolidWorks), design seismometers and associated systems (data recorders, deployment systems, subsea housings and such).

I thought it was a company rule that everyone at Vodafone in Newbury drives an Audi! That's all I seem to see going there when I drive past every day! :wink3:

Another Andrew.

Fully qualified, time-served electrician by trade but spent most of my working life as a telephone engineer (cable jointer) on PO/BT. Now, after being medically retired due to a back injury, I'm a self-employed computer technician.

oh my, not had a proper proper job for about 25 years now ( ex city banker :whistling1: )  .............  just own my own travel agency business now and semi-retired

www.worldbesttravels.com       :winkiss: 

Malc

1 hour ago, C Andrew Green said:

Mechanical design engineer (SolidWorks), design seismometers and associated systems (data recorders, deployment systems, subsea housings and such).

I thought it was a company rule that everyone at Vodafone in Newbury drives an Audi! That's all I seem to see going there when I drive past every day! :wink3:

Another Andrew.

That'll be the lease company motors.. its either a Golf or Audi lol

Ed, Beekeeper for a few years now, previous life was a Licensing Official with Glasgow City Council till early retirement deal 7 years ago allowing me to work with the bees

www.edsbees.com

• Like 2

Took early retirement at 54, (7yrs ago) from pharmaceutical research, developing novel dosage forms, delivery system and sterile production machinery. Now spend a few hours a week at B&Q advising on flooring projects and humping pallet loads of tiles/laminate!! Basically get paid to workout :whip: :yahoo:

Business Continuity & Crisis Manager for a large international corporation... until the end of this month (!), when I will be joining a small consultancy firm as an independent management consultant, focusing on the development and implementation of ISO and other Standards based service improvement programs for private and public sector organisations of all sizes across the UK, Europe and US.

last fifteen years i have been a stay at home dad looking after the kids and been a carer for my son, also refurbished two houses in the process.

Main careers before that was a Merchant Navy seaman and a long stint as a self employed window fitter and also a few years at Land Rover.

Nothing too exciting, especially compared to some on here.

I am the Network Manager at Alton College.  School holidays have taken on a new meaning for me now since it is so nice and quiet when teachers and students aren't around. :smile:

• Like 1

Was an electronics engineer on radars in the RAF for 11 years, but left to pursue a career change into programming. Moved between contract work and permanent roles for the next 11 years within the finance industry. Currently in my 8th year as Lead Business Intelligence Developer for a challenger bank in Reading. 

• 4 months later...

Qualified mechanic for 15 years before an accident put paid to that career.
Then ran my own IT and personnel training company until the ex-wife put paid to that.

Now I’m a taxi driver, a simpler and less stressful life that I love, and yes I use the Lexus as my taxi

978ac5d459ae3cbc7a92dcec78460f6e.jpg

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Travelled around with Grandparents renovated a house in Cornwall, 2 in Birmingham one in Normandy France, lived in France for over 7 years and then moved to County Kerry, Ireland and renovated and extended a bungalow there and stayed for 2.5 years. Moved back to the UK and after a 18 months found a job as a maintenance man in a care home. Did that for 10 months and didn't like being on call and travelling all over the UK to cover their 4 other homes. Pay was £7.60 an hour and if the home was under 50 miles each way didn't get paid for travel time.

Ended up setting up as self employed as Plumbing and Property Maintenance and enjoy the variety of work. Mostly last year decorating and bathroom renovations. I'm a fully qualified plumber and I certainly don't earn a lot. This tax year 10k but don't need a big income as live on my own narrowboat and have no wife or kids to support. Contentment in life counts more to me.

James:thumbsup:   

liv room boat.jpg

Boat exterior.jpg

• Like 5

IT Test Manager. Contractor. Current client is about to outsource the whole of their IT so have started to look for the next role so if anyone is need of one...

9 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

Qualified mechanic for 15 years before an accident put paid to that career.
Then ran my own IT and personnel training company until the ex-wife put paid to that.

Now I’m a taxi driver, a simpler and less stressful life that I love, and yes I use the Lexus as my taxi

978ac5d459ae3cbc7a92dcec78460f6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh, posh taxi!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

Travelled around with Grandparents renovated a house in Cornwall, 2 in Birmingham one in Normandy France, lived in France for over 7 years and then moved to County Kerry, Ireland and renovated and extended a bungalow there and stayed for 2.5 years. Moved back to the UK and after a 18 months found a job as a maintenance man in a care home. Did that for 10 months and didn't like being on call and travelling all over the UK to cover their 4 other homes. Pay was £7.60 an hour and if the home was under 50 miles each way didn't get paid for travel time.

Ended up setting up as self employed as Plumbing and Property Maintenance and enjoy the variety of work. Mostly last year decorating and bathroom renovations. I'm a fully qualified plumber and I certainly don't earn a lot. This tax year 10k but don't need a big income as live on my own narrowboat and have no wife or kids to support. Contentment in life counts more to me.

liv room boat.jpg

Boat exterior.jpg

I enjoyed reading that!  I love the idea of living on a boat, sadly my wife isn't so adventurous. It looks fantastic, and how nice to hear someone say he's content with his income! Do you have a permanent mooring?

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I enjoyed reading that!  I love the idea of living on a boat, sadly my wife isn't so adventurous. It looks fantastic, and how nice to hear someone say he's content with his income! Do you have a permanent mooring?

Thanks. Your wife may prefer a wide beam. More space. I have a residential mooring which costs £585 a quarter based on 50ft length which isn't bad.

Boat licence £795 a year if paid in full. Boat insurance £150 and Boat safety every 4 years £150. Water included in mooring fees and electric by card. Max power available on bollard is around 3.5kw.

I have all mod cons like washer/ dryer, dishwasher, and central heating from stove or webasto.  Every 2 years have the boat taken out of the water and the hull painted. £9 per foot length.

James.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesIS220 said:

Thanks. Your wife may prefer a wide beam. More space. I have a residential mooring which costs £585 a quarter which isn't bad. Boat licence £795 if paid in full. Boat insurance £150 and Boat safety every 4 years £150. Water included in mooring fees and electric by card. Every 2 years have the boat taken out of the water and the hull painted. £9 per foot length.

James.

Excellent, much less than I imagined a mooring would be.  We spent a week on a narrow boat on the Kennet and Avon, one of the best holidays ever, so peaceful. Maybe one day!

8 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Excellent, much less than I imagined a mooring would be.  We spent a week on a narrow boat on the Kennet and Avon, one of the best holidays ever, so peaceful. Maybe one day!

Mooring prices based on a narrowboat. Widebeam from 3,500+ a year depending where. 

The one thing I do regret is not getting out cruising in it! Too busy working or other things crop up. This August? September I'm going to take a month out and get exploring the canals. Not moved much in my 5 year ownership.