Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Last straw for the 220d F-sport

I love this car but thats its....Not long back I gave this car a raving review,best looking car I've ever owned and it is..most kitted out with the multimedia ML system etc etc,,Sad to say for all its plus points in the last 6 months its become a mechanical bad dream culmitating in a large cloud of smoke with a blown turbo...Ironically due to the previous smoke issues it had which were all cured on a temporary basis I did suspect the turbo was at fault...Now the ironic bit...Given my thoughts I bought a 2nd turbo which I re-furbed ready to pop on some months ago..The smoke magically vanished then came back..replaced a few sensors ,cleaned a few usual suspects and off it went again...THEN in one almighty smokescreen on my way to nightshift (after 6 days off argh!!!!) on sat the turbo decided to dump oil thro the exhaust to the undrivable point..car was recovered home whilst I went to work..After a joyus 13hr shift I went to remove the turbo only to find on the exhaust side the nuts were rounded already...hmmm!! So thinking on my toes and having rebuit the replacement unit I relised the vane side could remain attached to the zaust and just swap the turbine side so of I went,,Soon became apparent that this wasnt the 1st time it had been done given the tell tail markings on the pipes (for re assembly) by some previous mech..still chin up off it came and the refurb one fitted (2 hr job on your own if your handy with spanners) oil/coolant topped up and up it fired..yup smoke due to the already present oil in the system but onwards and upward as this is my baby...£30 on BP's finest and set off down the motorway..revs at 2200/2500 for a good 25 mile and the smog cleared so 25 miles return, yee result...mpg at 60/65 high 40's and into the 50's at times..turbo pulling great job done...Time for bed (up for 26 hrs...worked 13hrs..2 hrs in the cold changing turbo and 80 min drive squinting in the side mirror) Oh yeah really...the rear brakes started squeeling in reverse and having just been replaced for that very reason just ended the love affair for me boo!!,,I love fixing things but i draw the line at fixing things thats been fixed at great cost so..we are getting divorced!!!so if anyone wants a divorced lovely pearl F sport before we buy your car gets it.........few pics of the doomed impeller and 1 of the shiny refurb turbine.

20180212_131046.jpg

20180212_131111.jpg

20180212_131146.jpg

20180104_161801.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I understand the majority of Lexus owners wont understand the pictures but basically blacks bad....silver is good!

so to sum up the black bit failed badly,,,on your trip to the dealer he will firstly apologise on how this could o possibly happened (without knowing himself but offering you some rare coffee until he has something you will plausably accept) on delivery of the full sp from the workshop temp it would appear the wobble sprocket came loose damaging the time spring stopping the hamsters to work the water pump..resulting in..Its Turbo Failure sir!! but as your at Lexus its around 5k to repair and sadly your warranty expired 3 minutes before we got your email (hamsters  needed water,,got t keep em serviced or they die ironically)Ring any bells!!

• Like 1

Shame, rest of car is prob peachy!

Since getting into Lexus ownership and doing lots of homework/research for months before purchase I came to the conclusion that the worst thing Lexus ever done was put a D on the boot lid. Again shame really as I reckon they were running with the flock when there was a glut of heavy oil in the world and manufactures were obliged/urged via tax incentives to have  a DERV version in their brochures.

I have always been in the mindset that Diesel engines are not suited in small road vehicles, but more like generators and ships! ideally suited to constant revs with constant load ( heavy) for prolonged duration ( hours/days, weeks even) so putting one in a school run never to get muddy 4X4 is not suited to say the least and I do think diesel has had it's day in the small/mid size non commercial vehicle.

hopefully you will stick to the Lexus brand because you know they really want to do their upmost best for the end user!

cheers Paul m.

• Like 2

The real shame of this is now the car runs as it should(I will state i'm no mechanic but have been building cars for 29 years now( and the son of a brilliant engineer hence the hands on ) Having owned 5 petrol is's in the past the marque to me is the one...sadly the financial loss I will take on this car will leave me side tracked for sometime until i can recoop the loss...fortunatly (financially) I work for a motor company lease cars  to employees,,,I can actually lease a new car complete (insurance,,tax,,servicing etc)  for less than 120 a month so thats the plan,,sad to leave but what would lexus do,,,,nothin as they just want this model in the scrap yard!!

• Like 1

Anyone considering an IS diesel should read this carefully! I am really questioning the sense in buying an expensive car unless you have a decent warranty. I decided to buy an older RX300, rather than the more expensive 400h. My reasoning is that If things go badly wrong, then the financial hit is not so great. My conclusion was that I could buy a lot of expensive repairs and fuel for the financial difference. If it all goes pear shaped, will let you know! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bigchad said:

I understand the majority of Lexus owners wont understand the pictures but basically blacks bad....silver is good!

so to sum up the black bit failed badly,,,on your trip to the dealer he will firstly apologise on how this could o possibly happened (without knowing himself but offering you some rare coffee until he has something you will plausably accept) on delivery of the full sp from the workshop temp it would appear the wobble sprocket came loose damaging the time spring stopping the hamsters to work the water pump..resulting in..Its Turbo Failure sir!! but as your at Lexus its around 5k to repair and sadly your warranty expired 3 minutes before we got your email (hamsters  needed water,,got t keep em serviced or they die ironically)Ring any bells!!

Not trying to be funny, but I am struggling to understand what this post is trying to say?

Sad to hear what has happened to you Steven.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have this car if it wasn't for the warranty.  It is not just the cost saving, but the convenience factor as well.  I would like to think that if something similar happened to me, the car would be delivered to the dealer, I would get a loan car and a phone call when it was ready to be collected. 

For someone who relies heavily on my car, this is an important consideration.

At least, like you say, £120 a month for a new car isn't a bad deal, so hopefully it will keep you going hassle free for now.

4 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Not trying to be funny, but I am struggling to understand what this post is trying to say?

Sad to hear what has happened to you Steven.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have this car if it wasn't for the warranty.  It is not just the cost saving, but the convenience factor as well.  I would like to think that if something similar happened to me, the car would be delivered to the dealer, I would get a loan car and a phone call when it was ready to be collected. 

For someone who relies heavily on my car, this is an important consideration.

At least, like you say, £120 a month for a new car isn't a bad deal, so hopefully it will keep you going hassle free for now.

Appreciate the reply....just my feeling regarding the fact its a 220d!! lexus dont want this car in existence and the quicker it dies is better for them,..In all honesty its a fab car and maybe I was being a bit harsh! TBH I do love it and after a bit of aggressive questioning the dealer has admitted fitting a turbo (origin unknown) to equipe the mot and sale of the car..I'm an honest chap and did ask him (after signing for the car) if he new of any problems..you can guess the reply!!  Well few days in the car runs fine after my turbo transplant and in fact is returning MPG figures its never had previously so today the rear brakes were sorted(again) and its sitting pride o place on my drive where it should  be!! I will order a new cartridge for the turbo as said the one running now was a refurb so first signs o smoke its off!! As for the car lease scheme I'm no snob but I like my creature comforts that I do work hard for and couldnt really see myself in a Micra for the next 3 years...

Hmm, sounds typical of a dealer to just bung in any old turbo to get rid of the car.  No doubt very annoying, but you do at least seem handy with the spanners which keeps the cost down.

A Micra you say?  Ouch :smile:  I admit to being a car snob, so I also wouldn't be happy with losing my comforts.  Perhaps a IS250 SE-L/F Sport is the best option?

• Like 2

The hands on work certainly  saved a few quid but it gave the game away seeing where someone had paint marked all the hoses and joints to put it back together..as said I'm no mechanic but it says to me if you dont know how it goes together should you really be taking it apart!! On the turbo (and the majority of parts) there are certain marks/codes to determine its age( sad but almost 30years in the car industry rubs off) on digging the failed unit is at least 4 years older than the car and said dealer just shrugged and said the garage preps the mechanicals,strange as he was glad to give me the list of items/jobs done pre delivery but no-where does it state turbo replacement..I'm just pleased its finally sorted as like yourself I need a reliable car (hence the marque past and present) just wished the dealer who I have personally dealt with for over 20 years just had the balls to say if it smokes we know what it is...sad and dishonest but thats the last of my hard earned he will ever see!

• Like 1

Arghhh! today I had a smoke episode but not to be beat having changed the turbo for a 100% clean drive for over 200 miles it would seem the refufb unit may have stood dry too long so not one to give up I've actually bought a recon unit from a very reputable source Namely Nerings in Germany,I've also bought a catch tank for the breather system (car manufacturers wont fit these due to the regular cleaning needed!! Fact),,,SO........